All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Utec Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SurraTT
I did have coolant temp sensor issues with 2 ecus. But with utec it worked fine.
But was that with the utec reading the ects & the ecu reading the utec's outputted ects). Or both the utec & stock ecu reading the sensor like I am.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

^ never had cts probs with utec, only when i was running 2 ecus and osiris.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Turns out I wasn't having problems with the ects, it displays in Celsius, laugh it up. So it really was below 5 that day. Decided to change it around & run it as in/out anyways, also hooked up iat as an intercept, no difference.

100% the utec is putting out a wrong ipw in map 0 (and map 1). AND, although I haven't been able to confirm it yet, I think it's affecting timing also, more on that later.

I switched it over to map 1, it ran the car. I then started ****ing around. Once I found that it was set for a map, & speed density I was eventually able to pull down the maf. I put it at -20% in the 0 load column for 500 & 750 rpms just to see what it would do. It worked, upon restart the idle surged up & down for a few seconds.... but then when (I presume) the ecu went into closed loop a few seconds later- it went right back to low 11's. Arrrgh.

So I went back to map 0, and I gave control of the injectors back to the stock ecu. So everything is wired up to the utec, except the six injectors, those are now as if they were never touched..........

SO, with utec still intercepting the maf & ignitors, but injectors now hooked up just to the stock ecu......... bam, normal afr's @ idle.

Now, the reason I think it's also affecting timing is because even though it's back to normal, it doesn't sit dead nuts @ 14.7, it wavers up & down & I can feel & hear it pulling & adding timing. I then wired the maf back to stock & I'm still feeling it change timing. At some point I'll verify, didn't feel like rigging up the timing light, damn COP, but I'm not sure if it's even worth it since I'm pretty sure of the results.

Got any idea's? Am I now the boy who cried wolf & I do have a ****ed up Utec?. Did it **** up from the wiring issue? Either way 11:1 @ idle with colder plugs isn't cool, and I know it would have thrown a system too rich code eventually anyways. Otherwise it drove perfectly normal with the utec on map 0 (breaking in clutch so it was just a normal drive), just really rich in closed loop

Last edited by KRRZ350; 02-18-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Ohhh hahaah Celsius!!! Thats pretty good!

Hmmm weird on the injector issue.

Welcome to the world of UTEC (also 1984) hahah Hyperterminal!

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Turns out I wasn't having problems with the ects, it displays in Celsius, laugh it up. So it really was below 5 that day. Decided to change it around & run it as in/out anyways, also hooked up iat as an intercept, no difference.

100% the utec is putting out a wrong ipw in map 0 (and map 1). AND, although I haven't been able to confirm it yet, I think it's affecting timing also, more on that later.

I switched it over to map 1, it ran the car. I then started ****ing around. Once I found that it was set for a map, & speed density I was eventually able to pull down the maf. I put it at -20% in the 0 load column for 500 & 750 rpms just to see what it would do. It worked, upon restart the idle surged up & down for a few seconds.... but then when (I presume) the ecu went into closed loop a few seconds later- it went right back to low 11's. Arrrgh.

So I went back to map 0, and I gave control of the injectors back to the stock ecu. So everything is wired up to the utec, except the six injectors, those are now as if they were never touched..........

SO, with utec still intercepting the maf & ignitors, but injectors now hooked up just to the stock ecu......... bam, normal afr's @ idle.

Now, the reason I think it's also affecting timing is because even though it's back to normal, it doesn't sit dead nuts @ 14.7, it wavers up & down & I can feel & hear it pulling & adding timing. I then wired the maf back to stock & I'm still feeling it change timing. At some point I'll verify, didn't feel like rigging up the timing light, damn COP, but I'm not sure if it's even worth it since I'm pretty sure of the results.

Got any idea's? Am I now the boy who cried wolf & I do have a ****ed up Utec?. Did it **** up from the wiring issue? Either way 11:1 @ idle with colder plugs isn't cool, and I know it would have thrown a system too rich code eventually anyways. Otherwise it drove perfectly normal with the utec on map 0 (breaking in clutch so it was just a normal drive), just really rich in closed loop
Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 AM

Gemner was having a similar issue, sent him a pm & waiting for his input-

Originally Posted by Gemner
OK, so I have determined the the ckps is not the problem. However, the voltage for my ignition signal drops significantly from the input of the UTEC to the output. The drop is from .19 volts to .13 volts. which doesnt sound like much, but I dont think there should be ANY drop so...

Also, Turbo XS just confirmed that a drop like that is most certainly NOT normal
I just checked & got pretty much the same results. .22 volts from ecu, .12 volts from utec
Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Yeah turns out the utec is bad & the scumbag sold it for $400 even though he knew it was bad. **** you Shift Max, Luckily Karma's a *****

http://my350z.com/forum/tuning/49345...uestion-2.html

Honestly guys I got fed up with it and just sold the Utec. Any advice on what to use next for engine management? Something that is proven to be without hick ups.
I hope you told the guy about the issue, obviously there is something going on with that UTEC.
I did let the seller know that there was issues with the utec.
I have had it installed in my 2002 maxima for the past year however its time to move on with the vehicle. So this unit is for sale........ ............The Unit is SELL AS IS. I do not gurantee the indvidual wiring skills of the installer. But like I stated, the unit was working and opperational in my maxima.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Back from the grave, I am having the same issues at idle. It pegs down to 11 @ idle, then the ECU tries to fuel trim like crazy, press the gas and the AFR jumps to 16+ then the ECU quickly corrects to 14.7. Cruising in closed loop it stays steady at 14.7ish. WOT is fine, haven't checked what timing curve I'm getting yet.

Was seeing if anyone has found a solution other than another faulty UTEC.

If anything it can be fixed with a larger maf housing to compensate for the richness at idle.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 AM

Bumppp...anyone even use a UTEC?