All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Custom intake manifold thread. Build, dyno gains.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by krazy6
Great fabrication!

Working with aluminum is fun stuff.
Hopefully there will be more to come... Head is full of ideas and I have the means.

The main downfall of this IM is the stock length and width runners. It is made for mid/low RPM power and shorter runners that taper towards the plenum would be hugely beneficial to making power up top.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Hopefully there will be more to come... Head is full of ideas and I have the means.

The main downfall of this IM is the stock length and width runners. It is made for mid/low RPM power and shorter runners that taper towards the plenum would be hugely beneficial to making power up top.
What if you were to port your heads and add JWT S1 or Tomei 264 cams? That could compliment you custom IM perfectly and give you gains all throughout.. Am I wrong?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DopeMan187
What if you were to port your heads and add JWT S1 or Tomei 264 cams? That could compliment you custom IM perfectly and give you gains all throughout.. Am I wrong?
That would do nothing to correct the length of the runners, but it's not far from my plans.

When it comes to porting these heads, they already flow amazingly stock (although exhaust isn't too great) and SG motorsports has proven major power losses in lowend/midrange with minimal topend gains on a mild engine like mine using ported heads.

I do however already have BC S2 (264/10.8) cams waiting to go in. Just waiting on some 6gen valve covers, HR springs/shims, timing chain tensioner/guide, revup oil pump, and arp rod bolts to come in the mail.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That would do nothing to correct the length of the runners, but it's not far from my plans.

When it comes to porting these heads, they already flow amazingly stock (although exhaust isn't too great) and SG motorsports has proven major power losses in lowend/midrange with minimal topend gains on a mild engine like mine using ported heads.

I do however already have BC S2 (264/10.8) cams waiting to go in. Just waiting on some 6gen valve covers, HR springs/shims, timing chain tensioner/guide, revup oil pump, and arp rod bolts to come in the mail.
Gotcha. I figured the cams would help up top since the IM is low/midrange oriented.. That's why I asked.

Do you get the same loss down low with this custom IM like you would with a stock VIAS/SSIM gutted IM?

I'm deffinately interested in one of these if you decide to make more. Keep up the great work!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by DopeMan187
Gotcha. I figured the cams would help up top since the IM is low/midrange oriented.. That's why I asked.

Do you get the same loss down low with this custom IM like you would with a stock VIAS/SSIM gutted IM?

I'm deffinately interested in one of these if you decide to make more. Keep up the great work!
The lowend was identical to my vias deleted (non SSIM) stock IM.

The cams will of course help up top, but the restriction of intake runner length/diameter can not be alleviated by anything but changing those factors.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Any reason why you went with such mild cams?

You seem like you know what you're doing.
How about specing a custom cam for your application.

I believe, with no evidence of course, that the camshafts are what is holding back the VQ35 from producing very impressive NA power.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Any reason why you went with such mild cams?

You seem like you know what you're doing.
How about specing a custom cam for your application.

I believe, with no evidence of course, that the camshafts are what is holding back the VQ35 from producing very impressive NA power.
Well firstly it's my daily driver.

Otherwise, I was holding out for something 270+ duration and 11+mm lift... but these fell into my lap BNIB for an amazingly low price that could not be passed up. Custom spec'd cams are often a bad deal because 99% of the time it's a guy with a grinder making them when even CNC machines at at the limit of their resolution getting the slope right. It would also be very expensive, and as always this is a budget build.

Also just want to note that our little shorty headers made by cattman/obx will VERY quickly become a restriction with bigger cams and NA power above 300whp anyway. Even at the 300whp point, people are gaining 20+whp going from cattman-style headers to long tubes on the RWD version...
Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM

Well firstly it's my daily driver.

Otherwise, I was holding out for something 270+ duration and 11+mm lift... but these fell into my lap BNIB for an amazingly low price that could not be passed up. Custom spec'd cams are often a bad deal because 99% of the time it's a guy with a grinder making them when even CNC machines at at the limit of their resolution getting the slope right. It would also be very expensive, and as always this is a budget build.

Also just want to note that our little shorty headers made by cattman/obx will VERY quickly become a restriction with bigger cams and NA power above 300whp anyway. Even at the 300whp point, people are gaining 20+whp going from cattman-style headers to long tubes on the RWD version...
I forgot you daily drove this car.
Maybe try using a header calculator program and figure out the proper primaries, what steps to make and collector length. Big gains are to be had with properly designed headers like you stated as well.

I wanted to make some custom long tubes for my car but dont have the cash for the tuning equipment I would need to make optimum power.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM

I forgot you daily drove this car.
Maybe try using a header calculator program and figure out the proper primaries, what steps to make and collector length. Big gains are to be had with properly designed headers like you stated as well.

I wanted to make some custom long tubes for my car but dont have the cash for the tuning equipment I would need to make optimum power.
I would love to have some custom step headers made one day... but it would cost serious money. Although if I bought all the mandrel bent tubing, it would be possible that I could fab them up. Still another project I've been considering, but would be a pretty serious undertaking.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 PM

I would love to have some custom step headers made one day... but it would cost serious money. Although if I bought all the mandrel bent tubing, it would be possible that I could fab them up. Still another project I've been considering, but would be a pretty serious undertaking.
here a go....hope it helps..http://www.stainlessheaders.com/headerfabrication
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 PM

serious numbers!! good job! saw the youtube vid before this thread and was astonished.

if you decide to make these, how much would they go for? approx
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by white_spec-v
serious numbers!! good job! saw the youtube vid before this thread and was astonished.

if you decide to make these, how much would they go for? approx
I really can't give a specific value yet because I'll need to gauge how much I can reduce the huge amount of hours I had in the "prototype". I'm also considering trying my hand at making a full UIM which will allow me to change runner length and use real venturis because although material cost will rise, it will actually be easier to build.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 PM

I really can't give a specific value yet because I'll need to gauge how much I can reduce the huge amount of hours I had in the "prototype". I'm also considering trying my hand at making a full UIM which will allow me to change runner length and use real venturis because although material cost will rise, it will actually be easier to build.
If you do end up making them, you should have an option for the pathfinder TB flange.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ampire
If you do end up making them, you should have an option for the pathfinder TB flange.
Should be no problem at all.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM

If only Kinetix hadn't half-*** built their IM with runners that are too long and don't port match at all to the LIM and SFR's wasn't so prohibitively expensive (and untested) I wouldn't need to do this...
Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 PM

SFR's manifold was tested.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by tuko316
SFR's manifold was tested.
I know it was tested on a boosted car, but was the dyno on their website an in house test? I'm a big fan of well documented independent testing.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

I know it was tested on a boosted car, but was the dyno on their website an in house test? I'm a big fan of well documented independent testing.
As we all should be, and that only covers 1/2 the issue with said manifold.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM

I did the test myself. I compared it to a stock manifold with block off plate the same day at the same dyno.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 AM

I did the test myself. I compared it to a stock manifold with block off plate the same day at the same dyno.
That's the dyno shown on their website? Do you have runfiles? No RPM on that sheet at all. Did you tune for each? The top end gains look less severe than mine, but it gains at low end where mine doesn't... Giving me the impression that it's a midrange monster moreso than topend.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 AM

makes sense.. willing to sell this manifold? lol
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM

No runfiles. I have a technosquare reflash (I feel it needed some retuning after the block plate and cat removal). There was no change at all besides the manifolds themselves. 30whp at redline is pretty good considering no tuning. I think with some tuning there would be a lot better gians. I don't think it'll be anywhere as close to your though. Maybe a total of 35whp (sfr + tune) at redline, 40 with some luck but I doubt it. Seems to good to be true.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM

No runfiles. I have a technosquare reflash (I feel it needed some retuning after the block plate and cat removal). There was no change at all besides the manifolds themselves. 30whp at redline is pretty good considering no tuning. I think with some tuning there would be a lot better gians. I don't think it'll be anywhere as close to your though. Maybe a total of 35whp (sfr + tune) at redline, 40 with some luck but I doubt it. Seems to good to be true.
30whp at redline is basically the same as a SSIM. However, the SFR manifold picks up lowend and midrange power where the SSIM loses it which is a big advantage. I would say this is because of the velocity stacks and the "small" plenum and 3" elbow pipe.

From my experience, as long as you have a solid tune for the current MAF, making changes that result in more/less airflow do not affect the tune. This is because as more air is pulled in, the MAF detects more air and gives more fuel to compensate and vice versa. When I initially installed the new intake manifold with my stock MAF, I left it on the tune I had been using and the AF was still perfect. I'd be willing to bet that as long as you didn't change your intake pipe or MAF itself, the AF was still nearly the same when using the new manifold.

That said, my tune on the 3.5" maf used in this dyno leaves MUCH to be desired. So even with a very solid tune on the stock intake/MAF, I still picked up the gains shown here with a halfassed tune on the new MAF setup. That just further strengthens my thought that the SFR setup is very well tuned for midrange power and more like a SSIM up top.

Still, I'll make sure to blow the SFR manifold out of the water on price point, and at least try to pretty up my design a little more.

The true test of my intake manifold will come after the cams/valvesprings/oilpump/rod bolts and we see how it performs above 7200 RPMs.

Last edited by sparks03max; 02-23-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Turbo 3.5

I vote for full custom manifold cause I'd rather pay for a extra 100-150 in materials than 80+ hours of labor. I don't know what the shop rate is down there but here it's around 75 per hour
Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
I vote for full custom manifold cause I'd rather pay for a extra 100-150 in materials than 80+ hours of labor. I don't know what the shop rate is down there but here it's around 75 per hour
I agree... It will also be very easy for me to change runner length based on customer desires for "custom" orders. Basically tuned intake manifolds for certain RPM ranges.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 AM

It could be ugly as **** as long as it makes power I'll buy it.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Good info. Never knew that about the a/f.

I'm sure you can beat the sfr price easily. Even at group buy price its 900 or 950 iirc. Luckily I paid even less then that

Good info. Never knew that about the a/f.

I'm sure you can beat the sfr price easily. Even at group buy price its 900 or 950 iirc. Luckily I paid even less then that

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-23-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
I totally agree, and that is my sentiment as well. Maybe I should build them just like mine for those who want to make power, then make a pretty one for those who just want looks
Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 PM

It wouldn't cost you serious money if you made them, you would have serious man hours in to the project that is for sure.
Plus you would be the ultimate badass if you had a custom intake mani and stepped long tubes that YOU made.
Originally Posted by ajcool2
I agree as well.
Function over form.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Have you seen this thread http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...-manifold.html ?

Any thoughts on his short runner large plenum design?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ampire
Have you seen this thread http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...-manifold.html ?

Any thoughts on his short runner large plenum design?
Short runners move the torque and HP peak to the right, and a large plenum increases top end performance at the cost of immediate throttle response. Sounds like the norm. However, just making them as short as possible like he did is a bad idea. You want to tune the length according to your target powerband.

Last edited by sparks03max; 02-23-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 PM

If you seriously are thinking of mass producing these. i'll be your first customer. Please let me know i have an extra IM that is sitting in my garage waiting to get SSIM'd Thanks!

I just want power screw pretty....
Old 02-27-2011, 05:52 PM

hopefully somebody will take on the challenge of making longer runners for out headers.... oh sparks im sure this is something you would know but what are the tube size for the headers runner??? im looking to get some new headers but if i can probebly pay the price for a custom equal length header system thats at the cost of cattman if not a tad more it may be something ill have the ride take another vacation for a couple weeks... now for the custom route i want to go if i do choose to do it is
each collector being 1/8-1/4" bigger, longer runners into an equal length 2.75 or 3" Y... i thought i made that my lil project this summer... i should be hitting the dyno up on the 12th of march if i get the ride back in good running condition so i should have some numbers to base the experiment from... if it goes good ill talk to the owner
Old 02-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
hopefully somebody will take on the challenge of making longer runners for out headers.... oh sparks im sure this is something you would know but what are the tube size for the headers runner??? im looking to get some new headers but if i can probebly pay the price for a custom equal length header system thats at the cost of cattman if not a tad more it may be something ill have the ride take another vacation for a couple weeks... now for the custom route i want to go if i do choose to do it is
each collector being 1/8-1/4" bigger, longer runners into an equal length 2.75 or 3" Y... i thought i made that my lil project this summer... i should be hitting the dyno up on the 12th of march if i get the ride back in good running condition so i should have some numbers to base the experiment from... if it goes good ill talk to the owner
If you are doing that, I would make them step headers. Go for 1 3/4" for the first half of the runner length, then 1 7/8" for the rest, into at least 2.5" collectors then a 3" Y. Around 27-29" runner length would be awesome.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:26 PM

i gotta ask why not try to fab up some itb's?

ive been seriously considering it
Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc

Standalone engine management is expensive.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 PM

so is modifying this engine NA =P
Old 03-01-2011, 02:14 PM

Standalone engine management is expensive.
so is modifying this engine NA =P

Stormz I think you missed what he meant. You need to have a $2000+ dollar standalone to make ITBs work, just UTEC + stock ECU won't cut it. Even if you fab them up yourself, the cost and difficulty of fabrication is far higher than just building a UIM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 PM

no i understood brutha...you need both...

and im well aware you need a full stand alone =)
Old 03-01-2011, 02:18 PM

no i understood brutha...you need both...
Well then. You asked "why not?" I answer $3000+(probably north of 3500 all said and done), far more man hours (5-10x at least) and difficulty vs well under $500 and 50-60 hours hard work... you tell me why not. You want to get baller with it that's your choice, but this is a budget build.

Just the cost of ITBs and standalone cost would outweigh every other mod on this car combined.

Last edited by sparks03max; 03-01-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom intake manifold thread. Build, dyno gains.