All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

SCAM ALERT: Custom intake manifolds going into production

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

SCAM ALERT: Custom intake manifolds going into production

Well it's about time to make a thread for this. Production of the first one is starting November 21 and I need to go ahead and buy materials. This thread is to gauge interest so that I can get an idea of how much to buy and to get the word out that these are going into production.

Although this intake manifold design WILL bling in your engine bay (not like my ugly original), the design is 100% focused on making power. There will be no corners cut like the Kinetix and an actual gain in elbow and plenum size over the SFR option. In addition, you'll have custom options as each one will be hand made by me.

Design:

-The design is a side feed plenum for more volume and less bends than the traditional center feed design for this vehicle. Forgive me showing you an image made in paint, but this is a sketch of the design. Pictures of construction, materials, and finished product will be provided when the first prototype is built.

-Each runner will have a velocity stack that protrudes into the plenum for optimal air velocity and flow.

-Tapered design and lack of sharp edges will promote optimal flow and velocity into each cylinder.

-There will be almost no detectable elbow transition into the plenum, reducing turbulence and keeping velocity up.

-The elbow will be 3.25"ID/3.5"OD (82.5MM ID). This will go perfectly with a LRMAF (82MM ID) and 3.5" intake piping.

-The entire intake manifold will be made out of quality tig welded aluminum with 1/2" thick flanges and 1/8" thick plenum for optimal strength and resistance to warping.

-I will not etch my name or any company name onto your intake manifold. I like the clean look and know that most of you do also.

Custom features:

1. Choose your TB. I will be able to make TB plates for any throttle body that you can give me a pattern for. For those running a stock 3.5 DBW 70MM TB, this means a direct bolton change to a 2k9 75MM TB becomes possible! Those of you with swapped 3.5s running a cable TB can use just about whatever you want... A 90MM TB like the LS2 has been offered as a possibility.

2. Choose your Vacuum fitting needs. The default option will include PCV, brake booster, and EVAP, but if you have more or less needs then I can weld them on and make them look professional before sending it out to you.

3. Runner length. The default runner length will be almost identical to stock in order to give the best possible midrange and topend power band without suffering losses. This will be optimal for almost any bolton+tuned car with a stock bottom end. However, I will be able to make them shorter for those of you who have cams and supporting mods to make power at 7500+ RPMs or even longer for those of you that want an increase in lowend/midrange power.

4. Pretty stuff. Polishing, etching, coating, or other custom appearance modifications will be possible. The stock version will be lightly polished with good looking welds and very sharp looking, but for those of you who want a mirror finish, some kind of etching or branding put on it... Just ask and we can work it out.

Testing:

-Initial testing of this manifold will be done by none other than Aaron of NWP on his VQ35DE swapped 3rd gen.

Pricing:

-I will be asking $1050+shipping for the base design. This includes a finished plenum with your choice of TB flange, 3 vacuum fittings, and stock length runners. Custom options could run more or less depending on your choices.

-A down payment (probably around 40%) will be required before I start work on your specific manifold with full payment required before shipping. Backing out after leaving a down payment and construction has begun will carry a penalty on the down payment, I have not yet determined specifics on this.

-If it includes custom options, payment in full before construction will be required in order to avoid any difficulties as I will not be able to sell your custom design to another person if you back out. In this situation, we will agree on a projected timeline and I will keep you updated on progress as it is built.

I currently have 2 people ready to give down payments and get the ball rolling. PM me if you are interested in joining the list!

Last edited by sparks03max; 11-18-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Nice to see... I think you know the VQ35DE better than most people. Good luck.

We all know the results..
Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 321VQ35MAX
Nice to see... I think you know the VQ35DE better than most people. Good luck.

We all know the results..
The results with this IM will be different than the custom one that I built. But it should be different in a good way. I'll be going with the same volume as my original, same elbow size, but runners with real venturi stacks and more even flow should result in gains all over vs my original hack job. That one gained me 18whp peak and 50whp at 7000 RPMs, so I'm excited about this one!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
The results with this IM will be different than the custom one that I built. But it should be different in a good way. I'll be going with the same volume as my original, same elbow size, but runners with real venturi stacks and more even flow should result in gains all over vs my original hack job. That one gained me 18whp peak and 50whp at 7000 RPMs, so I'm excited about this one!

What are you thinking it will put out?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 321VQ35MAX
What are you thinking it will put out?
I can't say for sure since results will be different on each car depending on supporting mods, condition of the engine, tuning capabilities and etc... but I would bank on gains starting in midrange on up to redline with the biggest difference being seen under the curve on the top end. The higher you are revving and more heavily modded, the larger the gains.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:14 AM

Thanks Sparks. PM sent.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM

All PMs replied to. Heading over to stock car steel tomorrow to pick up materials, so any additional people interested should shoot a PM asap
Old 11-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

mmmmhmmmmmm...bad timing, shoot you a pm in a minute man.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

PM Sent. Cash in hand. Make that three preorders.

I sent this in the PM but I wonder what others think on this:

1) If you have a 3.5(89mm) intake, 82mm MAF, 90mm TB shouldn't the elbow be 90mm vs. 82mm? Am I just splitting hairs?

2) Will the larger TB(70mm vs 90mm) really show a large difference?

3) We can still use the lower phenolic intake spacer with this design correct?

Last edited by NYCBL00D; 11-21-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by NYCBL00D
PM Sent. Cash in hand. Make that three preorders.

I sent this in the PM but I wonder what others think on this:

1) If you have a 3.5(89mm) intake, 82mm MAF, 90mm TB shouldn't the elbow be 90mm vs. 82mm? Am I just splitting hairs?

2) Will the larger TB(70mm vs 90mm) really show a large difference?

3) We can still use the lower phenolic intake spacer with this design correct?
1+2) I spoke to you about this in the PM, but it's good to talk about it here where others will read as well. I do not believe a 90MM TB will actually show any gains over a 75MM TB (2k9) on anything short of a major stroker build with giant cams aiming for ~400whp. Stock LS1s breathe through a 78MM TB and those guys save the TB upgrade for one of their last bolton mods and still don't usually go more than 85MM on a stock displacement engine for relatively small (~10whp) gains. Those engines are just slightly larger than ours!

Now 70MM vs 75MM, I believe we can expect to see 5-10whp on a full bolton and tuned Maxima. Probably a little more when you have cams.

3) The upper intake manifold spacer will still be fine. You just won't be able to use your elbow spacer. TB spacer won't work either if you go with the larger TB, unless you can port it to fit.

Last edited by sparks03max; 11-21-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:28 PM

All PMs replied to.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Any manifold orders + down payments I get before Sunday Nov 27 will get free shipping since you'll be saving me $ on material costs.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 AM

my custom intake manifold and not proven tb100mm
Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM

100mm seems like massive overkill, but it does look nice
Old 11-22-2011, 10:49 AM

Yan soy yo juan que hablamos hoy por la mañana se ve brutal esa araña ya me llego el numero del muchacho.. Gracias!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Blown

will you be posting the results on the intake manifold you make for Aaron? He and I have a very similar engine set up. I am interested but I would like to see how it does on his engine first.

Aaron, if you are reading this, do you still have the same cams installed? Are your most current dynos done with a tradional SSIM?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by cardana24
will you be posting the results on the intake manifold you make for Aaron? He and I have a very similar engine set up. I am interested but I would like to see how it does on his engine first.

Aaron, if you are reading this, do you still have the same cams installed? Are your most current dynos done with a tradional SSIM?
Yes either myself or Aaron will be posting his results with detailed analysis. He does still have the ebay cams and his most current dynos are with a fully port matched SSIM setup.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 PM

Yes either myself or Aaron will be posting his results with detailed analysis. He does still have the ebay cams and his most current dynos are with a fully port matched SSIM setup.
Same here, i have the same setup from cardanas and Aaron and i will check on Yanvq35 custom manifold, it look good..
Spark03 your car is awsome and thanks for innovate and help us with our grocery getter jeje i subscribed on y tube by juanma0908

Cardanas yours too, Keep us posting guys!!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:45 PM

Subscribed, even though I only have a De-K.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Subscribed, even though I only have a De-K.
Probably just a different LIM flange and I should be able to make something for a DE-K.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 PM

DAM, LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!! There are going to be alot of powerful Maximas next year thanks to this manifold!!! I'm anxious to see dyno results, especially after someone put some cams in and extend rev limiter with the 2009 Maxima TB and a tune (assuming they have other bolt ons like spacers, headers, 3" catback, 3.5" intake tubing, LRMAF, UD pulley, etc)!!!! I can see 5.5gens at the 300whp NA range!! What a sleeper!! This is a product we all have been waiting for a LONG time!!! THANKS!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Probably just a different LIM flange and I should be able to make something for a DE-K.
Don't tell me that cause you're gonna make me spend money I don't have! With all the mods Moncef has, I'm sure he could really benefit with this UIM
Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Nuff said
The money has been sent!
Douglas, you have sent $750.00 USD to John Sparks.

The money has been sent!
Douglas, you have sent $300.00 USD to John Sparks.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
Nuff said
The money has been sent!
Douglas, you have sent $750.00 USD to John Sparks.

The money has been sent!
Douglas, you have sent $300.00 USD to John Sparks.
Sending you a PM in a few minutes about specifics for yours, Aaron isn't going to have his car ready till mid/late december so first one off the line is all yours. Should I put a #001 on it?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Engraved that ish all pretty like lol special edition. Talked to him about specifics today for my build.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:27 AM

I hope my car arrives to 300hp with modifications following, pistones 11.1 stock bore, cams JWT c9 las tapas stock port heads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPBVRTJmDqo
Old 11-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Banned

Engraved that ish all pretty like lol special edition. Talked to him about specifics today for my build.
are you going with anything out of the norm? ls2 tb or super short runners? I keep staring at the Fontana intake on their 350z.

Last edited by NYCBL00D; 11-24-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by YANvq35
PhotoshoP?

I hope my car arrives to 300hp with modifications following, pistones 11.1 stock bore, cams JWT c9 las tapas stock port heads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPBVRTJmDqo
not the same mani on the car? wth?
what you running for exhaust? Talked to aaron, Dont think i want to go all crazy on the cams, that c9 sounds too harsh for a daily. looking at it, id have to look at a vmanage to control cams, dunno yet.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned

The guys at SG MotorSport seem to think the TB is a major restriction for max HP. I wouldn't worry about your 100mm tb.

http://www.sg-motorsport.com/development.html

back on topic:

Sparks can you build the Intake Manifold with an LS2 tb plate and then make a 2-3'' adapter piece that would allow the 7th gen tb to bolt on? I am probably wording this poorly. Basically giving me the option to run either throttle body? I understand this would probably cost a bit more.

Last edited by NYCBL00D; 11-24-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

you mean make the flange for the 90mm that way youd have enough clearance for the throttle plate, and then just do an adapter like the pathy plates of old for the 2k9.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:32 AM

The adapter plate would have to bolt up to the 90MM TB flange, port matched, and reduce to 75MM with a flange for that TB. It's doable, but that would mean me making 3 total TB flanges instead of 1 so the cost would go up a bit since flanges are time consuming and more expensive materials. It wouldn't look as pretty either, but that is unavoidable.

Remember SG motorsports did their 90MM TB testing on a built engine with cams and mild headwork. There is such a thing as too big and there are LS engines out there making 650 naturally aspirated WHP with a 90-92mm tb... They are probably flowing double the CFM through that thing that a built NA VQ needs.

Doug, JWT C8 is about the max I would go with on a street car. You'll still be trading a good bit of power below 4500 for power above.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

Exactly. That way in the future I can take off the adapter and 2k9 tb and put on the LS2 90mm tb.

I think it will take some work to make the LS2 work. I am worried about idle issues with the LS2 and the good chance I would need a full standalone like haltech. Or the ET2 Electronic Throttle Controller Haltech's new product. The ET2 is scheduled for release in early 2012.

With the adapter option I can play with the LS2 and go back to the 2k9 in as little as 10 minutes!

BTW, I should be intake manifold #002 or 003!. Deposit is down! Delivery early January!!! With a phenolic intake spacer and the entire IM coated with a thermal displacement coating it should be super cool to the touch! I may have my entire 3.5 intake coated as well. I'm really hoping this will be the ultimate intake setup(other than a 3.5'' maf in place of the LRMAF but I would need a full stand alone or going crazy like the Fontana intake)

edit:Sparks will you please quote me the 3 TB Flanges? Also in PM you mentioned you could enlarge the plenum a bit so it would mate correctly to the LS2 TB. I would like both. Any estimate on the thermal coating would be welcome as well. Going too big could hurt but that is why I want to stay with the 2k9 TB for now. But I am planning on headwork and cams soon. After I blow the engine reving out to 8k I plan on a reasonable engine build . The 350 guys are hitting 300-315 with the setup often now it seems.

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Last edited by NYCBL00D; 11-24-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 AM

John, youre more than welcome to use my car as a test vehicle for a custom dek intake manifold lol. Just not sure which manifold u would use as a base.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:12 AM

If i had the cash to spare i would definitely pick one up.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Exactly. That way in the future I can take off the adapter and 2k9 tb and put on the LS2 90mm tb.

I think it will take some work to make the LS2 work. I am worried about idle issues with the LS2 and the good chance I would need a full standalone like haltech. Or the ET2 Electronic Throttle Controller Haltech's new product. The ET2 is scheduled for release in early 2012.

With the adapter option I can play with the LS2 and go back to the 2k9 in as little as 10 minutes!

BTW, I should be intake manifold #002 or 003!. Deposit is down! Delivery early January!!! With a phenolic intake spacer and the entire IM coated with a thermal displacement coating it should be super cool to the touch! I may have my entire 3.5 intake coated as well. I'm really hoping this will be the ultimate intake setup(other than a 3.5'' maf in place of the LRMAF but I would need a full stand alone or going crazy like the Fontana intake)

edit:Sparks will you please quote me the 3 TB Flanges? Also in PM you mentioned you could enlarge the plenum a bit so it would mate correctly to the LS2 TB. I would like both. Any estimate on the thermal coating would be welcome as well. Going too big could hurt but that is why I want to stay with the 2k9 TB for now. But I am planning on headwork and cams soon. After I blow the engine reving out to 8k I plan on a reasonable engine build . The 350 guys are hitting 300-315 with the setup often now it seems.

Happy Thanksgiving guys!
there were idle issues with the 90mm but tuning could more than take care of that. I would look at that if i was to boost compression more and fully cammed. Just see it as overkill right now.

Doug, JWT C8 is about the max I would go with on a street car. You'll still be trading a good bit of power below 4500 for power above.
I was looking at the s1s as i had a deal on them, really like the specs on the 264s, and considering a mix possibly. I dont want to lose my lowend for a shift to where I would rarely venture 7k+
Old 11-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Banned

there were idle issues with the 90mm but tuning could more than take care of that. I would look at that if i was to boost compression more and fully cammed. Just see it as overkill right now.

I was looking at the s1s as i had a deal on them, really like the specs on the 264s, and considering a mix possibly. I dont want to lose my lowend for a shift to where I would rarely venture 7k+
I see the LS2 as overkill as well for me at this moment. However, I want options for the future. If it does not look good who cares. I am the only one who works or looks under my hood

I also don't want to lose alot of my low end but I think 272 is what I will still end up with. I have a goal of 300whp NA and I don't see that likely with the 264s...Didn't Aaron say he wish he hadn't gone with the 260s? Granted his car isn't a DD and he probably doesn't care about what is under 4k.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

I see the LS2 as overkill as well for me at this moment. However, I want options for the future. If it does not look good who cares. I am the only one who works or looks under my hood

I also don't want to lose alot of my low end but I think 272 is what I will still end up with. I have a goal of 300whp NA and I don't see that likely with the 264s...Didn't Aaron say he wish he hadn't gone with the 260s? Granted his car isn't a DD and he probably doesn't care about what is under 4k.
hence why i say i think i may stagger with a more aggressive intake cam set. dunno...thats another 2k, when i have a v8 waiting to be worked on :/ priorities.

and i feel you, but i like my jaint to look as good as it runs lol...Habit. Gotta look good once i get there.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:48 PM

If I were you I'd go with the JWT C2 cams....they are alittle more agressive than S1 cams and not as crazy as the C8 cams. I think they are the happy medium. You will need to upgrade the springs and retainers. There is an article that shows JWT S1 cams in a 350z making 19hp and 13ft-lbs over the stock 350z cams. The C2 cams are a little more aggressive so I can see them adding more and you will still have a good idle quality.

check the article out:

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-10...cam/index.html

S1 Cams have 260 duration and 10.87mm lift they claim can be used with OEM springs/retainers.

C2 cams have 261 duration and 11.58mm lift. need upgraded springs/retainers......these are what I plan on going with.

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf...INCL_REVUP.pdf

Those C8 cams are just too much in my opinion for daily street driving.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Happy Thanksgiving guys!
Since yours is going to be a bit more custom than the others and you want delivery after xmas, yours will probably be #3 or #4 with the current list. Let me do some math and run some ideas through my head to make this dual TB setup work and get back to you on a quote. For the thermal coating, I would just be sending it to a shop around here who does it so you should do some price shopping also and see which of us can get it cheaper.

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
John, youre more than welcome to use my car as a test vehicle for a custom dek intake manifold lol. Just not sure which manifold u would use as a base.
I might have to take you up on that. You'd have to come hang out at the shop for a day while I test fit and check clearances. This is of course if someone with a DE-K wants to buy one!

What I really wanted to do was go with something around 11-11.5mm lift and 268-272 duration on intake side and 10.5-10.8 lift 264-268 duration on the exhaust side. I think that would be optimal with a badass intake setup and cattman headers.

Aaron wishes he had gone bigger than the 260s that he has. He is probably going to be getting JWT C9s.... 280 duration!!!!! I believe his car is a DD sometimes... haha
Old 11-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Since yours is going to be a bit more custom than the others and you want delivery after xmas, yours will probably be #3 or #4 with the current list. My main man chris is on there too lol...damn local to me too....and 6 speed...matching mod for mod smh...

I might have to take you up on that. You'd have to come hang out at the shop for a day while I test fit and check clearances. This is of course if someone with a DE-K wants to buy one!
Moncef...cough....cough...

What I really wanted to do was go with something around 11-11.5mm lift and 268-272 duration on intake side and 10.5-10.8 lift 264-268 duration on the exhaust side. I think that would be optimal with a badass intake setup and cattman headers.

I was one of the first dudes to do a high comp build on my old platform on our forum, and we went with crane 18s for my build. People built on that and my boy ended up with 24 crane race cams on the intake with crane 18s on the exhaust....Needless to say huge difference. Hills has quoted me at 1200 for install, and i have a friend that has a connection that may be able to get them a little cheaper than list...so ill see...this would honestly be the final mod for me...and a suprastick lol

Aaron wishes he had gone bigger than the 260s that he has. He is probably going to be getting JWT C9s.... 280 duration!!!!! I believe his car is a DD sometimes... haha
yeah...he said c9s when i talked to him wednesday...I drive too far for that lol..

Quick Reply: SCAM ALERT: Custom intake manifolds going into production