All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

cDgRazoray's 95>02 VQ35 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:59 PM

cDgRazoray's 95>02 VQ35 Swap

This weekend was the first time I was able to work on my 95 Maxima SE, so I figured I would start a new thread to record my progress and get some feedback.

To give you some background, my Maxima has been slowing leaking oil from the RMS since I inherited the car a year ago with about 200k miles. Just recently I've been using it, so until now it wasn't a major issue. One morning I started the car and white smoke + major oil leak, so I did some research on this site and decided a VQ35 swap is what I needed.

I'll start my upgrades from the beginning, before opting to do a VQ35 swap>>>

This is the earliest picture I can find of my car (stock):

No. That's not me lol. That was a friend of mine who visited from Europe last summer. This is me:

Anyways, the first thing I needed were new tires. I looked around Craiglist and found 17 inch TSW's with Bridgestones 15 minutes away for cheapppppppp. The tires alone cost around $180 each on tirerack, and this came with rims!!!

Then I needed some floormats, so I got some Lloyds Heavy Plush Semi Custom from AutoGeek. VERY happy with the build quality:

Fast forward a couple months....and my motor dies. So I searched for a couple weeks and found a 2002 VQ35 + tranny with only 25,000 miles (supposedly, although VIN and title verified):

Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 PM

I'm pretty excited to get started, but a solid work schedule kept me from starting for 2 weeks

I did research and with the help of a few members found out I would need cam spacers:

I'm pretty excited, so when I open the hood I want everyone to know theres a 3.5 in there. So I found an engine cover on Ebay after a couple attempts of contacting members here:

I got a little carried away on Ebay and ordered a couple other things....

Billet Aluminum Oil Cap

Black corner lights

Which I've already put on and really like:

So I started working on the car, my friend is letting me use his shop/tools so I'm limited to his schedule when I can work on the car. I was able to work on it for only a couple hours Saturday morning and until about 2pm on Sunday.

So it begins....

Removed the intake manifold, radiator, intake tubing, a/c lines and disconnected the wiring up to the firewall.

I stopped in the afternoon to go with my buddy to a couple salvage yards. I was looking for a Pathfinder TB, but ended up only finding the center vents/clock I needed, ebrake boot, shifter trim, and a 97 grill insert for the eventual 97 front end swap. So I guess I'll just have to buy a IACV adapter.

I have off this 4th of July so I plan on pulling the 3.0 motor and tranny out so I can have it side by side the new 3.5 to start swapping timing components next weekend. My friend is giving me tons of crap for wanting to use the 3.0 timing chain with a lot of miles on it, so I might be ordering a new chain assembly.

Updates to come!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:51 PM

chain's don't wear out. that's why they're used. timing belts do...but a new tensioner assembly isn't a bad idea.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 PM

I guess we're going to decide after we open her up. I'd rather spend that money on something else.....we'll see...
Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Update time. This VQ35 swap is taking much longer than expected but I've changed the build a few times. Now I'm going with a full ECU and transmission swap. I sold the spacers to another member here and have added on a few mods.

I got the VIAS block off kit from NWP installed:

Snatched an OBX UDP off ebay for $20 shipped

Denso Iridium Power Performance spark plugs

I got the full 5 pc Phenolic Spacers from NWP installed

Got a 97-99 bumper installed

I've got the grill too but don't have a pic of one with it on.

Stripped the interior to prep for ECU swap. I'm also removing the back seats to make room for quad tens. Every car I've owned has had 4 tens. I prefer tens sealed and like 4 for extra boom

I'm in the process of selecting a steering wheel.

I've always wanted to use Royal Purple and decided I will this time. This has nothing to do with my favorite color being purple. Tranny and engine will be running Max ATF and 5w30. I got a case of Max ATF for a great price on eBay. Less $$$ than Nissan Matic D, and the RP filter too.

95 Radiator was cracked and JB welded at the top, so I got an alluminum Mishimoto knock off. I'll give credit to whoever suggested it to me one day lol.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:47 PM

Check this wheel gap!!! These are 17's too. Looks like a monster truck. I couldn't sleep knowing I was putting a VQ35 with the front looking like this:

Rear:

So I got some cheap eBay lowering springs. Haters gonna hate. I know. But this will have me *looking* right until I can afford coilovers.

FINALLY got to pulling the motor:

I'm going to write up a location guide because I've got good pics. I pulled the engine and tranny at the same time from the top which I couldn't find any information on. Most have pulled the tranny from below and then the engine seperately

Ready for the VQ35

I've removed the 95 ECU and TCM and have the 2002 ones bolted in. Now that the engine is out of the way I can pull the engine harness out and prep for the new one. At the moment, I have concerns and would appreciate feedback:

1. Radiator support is looking sad. I didn't consider repairing it but may have to. Heres pics:

Looking from bottom>up

Looking from inside>out

2. Suspension parts. While taking the axles out. I noticed a lot was ****ed up. So before installing the lowering springs I'll need a lot. Like ball joints, strut mounts, tie rods etc etc. Also, I noticed my power steering was leaking
Old 09-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Got Retrofit?

Replace that radiator support with a OEM piece ASAP. Do not go aftermarket. You will regret it if you do.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM

I expected to hear that. DAMN. Two things I didn't really wanna pay for until I had the car rolling. But putting the suspension back together isn't even possible with some of these parts . Here's another pic I just found>

The more I look at it, the more it looks like its bolted to nothing.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 AM

bump for feedback plz.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 AM

I would definitely fix all that stuff while the engine is out.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 PM

OAN Ive got a set of OEM HR cams if interested. Would be icing on the cake for your swap. LMK.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:01 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...r-oe-cams.html
Old 09-03-2012, 04:21 PM

Cool I'll take a look.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:40 AM

Alright I'm getting this project back on the road. It's been sitting without the engine in it for a long time now, but I finally have the time and money to finish this swap.

Currently I'm doing research on which heads I want on it (3.0 or 3.5) and thinking about JWT cams while porting the IM and heads.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by WesCTR
chain's don't wear out. that's why they're used. timing belts do...but a new tensioner assembly isn't a bad idea.
Well timing chains can and do stretch over time, unlike belts (surprisingly).

:returns back to his lurk lair: