All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Help Guide: Help! I need a VQ35! Which Ones Will Fit My Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 AM

Help Guide: Help! I need a VQ35! Which Ones Will Fit My Car?

1/2021 update.

It has come to my attention that barely anyone these days has any idea what vehicles 1st gen FWD VQ35DEs come in.

Here is a list of motors that can be installed into one another.
​​​​​​
So if your car falls within the range of the following..... You can use any other motor in this list. Oil pan and intake manifold fitment will follow if you keep reading.

(This list is not all inclusive, this is only for USA, unless someone else wants to do a global list, it won't be coming from me).

Altima 3.5 2002-2006
I35 2002-2004
Maxima 2002-2008
Murano 2003-2007
Quest 2004-2009

Remember this is longblock only fitment. Meaning the bare motor only.

11/2020 Update:
This guide is for the first generation VQ35DE. 2007+ Altimas, 2009+ Maximas, etc 2nd generation "HR" motors (if it's a 3.5 with a plastic intake manifold you have a 2nd generation VQ35DE).... If you have this motor... this guide will only be partially useful if you are swapping it into an older chassis that originally had a 1st gen vq35DE.

The basis on fitment for this guide is the 02 Maxima, since that car has the most common compatibility over vehicles, this oil pan has the same bolt pattern as the 95-01 VQ30 Maximas, and even the same bolt pattern as the 350z/G35 Oil pans for RWD applications.

But just because the bolt pattern is the same... does NOT mean the oil pan is the same... You will see a few instances in the list below where I've confirmed the same bolt pattern but the part # changes so I do not know about the depth of the pan in regards to exhaust or crossmember clearance.
RWD VQ35 oil pans are the same bolt pattern but the depth is different...shallower in the RWD application vs the FWD application. The RWD oil pan has different accessory mounting bosses.

I will not answer any questions along the lines of "I have an 02 maxima, will the 08 motor fit my car?" The answer is right in front of you. - Notice how I use the words "fit", mixing different chassis and years will entail other endeavors, eg harness and sub-harness swapping, NOT the point of this thread, this is purely for PHYSICALLY INSTALLING into your vehicle.

but I will answer questions on how to use this guide, if you're having a hard time using it.

If you find any errors, please PM me so I can make corrections.

Now.....

The VQ35 block+heads on any FWD/AWD (AWD Muranos only) Nissan badged vehicle are ALL the same, the key differences between the years are the upper (big aluminum) oil pan, and the intake manifold. Short of that there is not a difference (well for the most part) in the motor. The reason why the quest has the lowest power #'s is because of the tune on the ECU, not because of the cams, valves or whatever BS you have been reading, same reason why the Z makes more power than the maximas, tune (and different exhaust and etc, but most of the power difference is the cam tuning).

Guide to use this chart:

-Full = Full 10 Bolt Pattern, the most common oil pan bolt pattern design, used on RWD applications also.

-5AT = 8 Bolt pattern used on the FWD 5speed Automatic Transmission equipped vehicles

-CVT = Newer style CVT pans are deeper, yet retain the full 10 bolt pattern, and proper crank sensor alignment, but you can not use older chassis headers because of the depth of the oil pan.

-EGR = This motor is equipped with EGR

-Plastic = The VIAS assembly is made from composite materials instead of metal, the functions are exactly the same and can be used with the older solenoids.

-If left blank, then it's the same as the 02 maxima.

-Bottom: Meaning the crank position sensor is on the BOTTOM of the motor and not towards the front (radiator) as they are on earlier nissans.

[NEW 4/30/20 UPDATE, NOT COMPLETE YET!] - W: Windage Tray, this means this oil pan has a windage tray attached to it. EG. 07/08 Maxima CVT: CVT, 02-03 Maxima 4AT: W - This means the 08 Maxima does NOT have a windage tray in the oil pan, but the 03 Maxima does. This option is in it's beginning stages right now, so the W's are all correct yet.....
These motors need a windage tray, you can use either the crank girdle mounted style or oil pan mounted syle (W) it doesn't matter, as long as you have one and only one.

11/2020 Addition "B"
Some oil pans have bolt bosses extending from them, the one I am particularly referring to are two m8 bolt bosses that extend into the valley between the face of the transmission side and lower oil pan, they are used to support the y-pipe. They can be grinded down or just not used at all. Just a heads up, that is all.
​​

Intake Manifold Compatibility:

Maxima
-02-03:
-04-06: EGR
-07-08: Plastic

Murano
-03-07:

Quest:
-04-06: EGR
-06?/07? (I do not know exactly when the cut off is)-09: EGR, Plastic

Altima:
-02-04:
-05-06: EGR

I35:
-02-04:

Oil Pan Compatibility:

Maxima:
02-03 6MT: W
02-03 4AT: W
04 4AT: B
04-06 5AT: Bottom, B, 5AT,
04-06 6MT: B
07-08 CVT: B, CVT.

Altima:
02-04 4AT: B, W
02-06 5MT: B, W
05-06 MT: B
05-06 5AT: Bottom, B, 5AT

Quest:
04-06 4AT: B
04-07 5AT: Bottom, B, 5AT
08-09 5AT: Different Part # as the 04-07's, no idea if it's the same pan or not, or exhaust clearance may be different.

Murano:
03-04: W
05-07: Full pattern, but may have clearance issues w/ the exhaust ~not sure on this.

I35:
02-04 4AT: W

So now armed with the knowledge of which oil pan and intake manifold fit on which car, everything else is the same (for the most part) on the motor.

It is also possible to change intake manifolds and oil pans to fit the application you need it for too, so if you have a very specific application like an 08 maxima you can use an 03 maxima engine if you change the oil pan.

And christ all 1st generation throttle bodies are interchangeable. Don't believe me? Then fine use your original upper manifold and throttle body.

Also for the 8793rd time.

There.
Is.
Not.
A.
Physical (internal hardware).
Difference.
On.
ALL
1st generation.
VQ35DEs.

So if you read something like the 350z had higher compression or better cams than a quest motor or anything retarded like the 08 maxima made more compression than the 02... It's wrong.

"But in so and so says..." no it's Wrong.

"Well my friend...." is Wrong.

"But on FB...".... Oh well if you put it that way then it's definitely wrong.

Repeating the same thing again in a different way:
ALLL (1st gen) VQ35DEs are built to the same internal specs (cam lift, cam duration, valve size, intake and exhaust port sizing, pistons, rods, crank, bearing sizes... You get the gist).

Last edited by aackshun; 07-25-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 AM
^ Jeff™

For what it's worth, before it's asked:

RWD VQ35 oil pans are the same bolt pattern but the depth is different...shallower in the RWD application vs the FWD application. This would cause issues with the oil sender (pickup?), which is also a slightly different design RWD vs FWD. Safe to say RWD oil pans are not compatible.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
The basis on fitment for this guide is the 02 Maxima,

The block on any FWD/AWD Nissan Badged product is the same, the key differences between the years are the upper (big aluminum) oil pan, and the intake manifold. Short of that there is not a difference (well for the most part) in the motor. The reason why the quest has the lowest power #'s is because of the tune on the ECU, not because of the cams, valves or whatever BS you have been reading, same reason why the Z makes more power than the maximas, tune (and different exhaust and etc, but most of the power difference is the cam tuning).

So now armed with the knowledge of which oil pan and intake manifold fit on which car, everything else is the same (for the most part) on the motor.
Lol I appreciate the post and the information but I cant help but feel like my http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...me-engine.html thread fueled this post. Especially when you referred to the Nissan Quest, correct? But man GREAT write up. Hopefully it becomes a sticky. I added your thread in my OP. BTW would swapping engines affect my choice of which Cattman headers to get? like ->03....04->
Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by MrEous
For what it's worth, before it's asked:

RWD VQ35 oil pans are the same bolt pattern but the depth is different...shallower in the RWD application vs the FWD application. This would cause issues with the oil sender (pickup?), which is also a slightly different design RWD vs FWD. Safe to say RWD oil pans are not compatible.
Nice save, I will add that, some n00b will think, ZOMG I CAN USE THE Z OIL PAN

You can't use a RWD oil pan.

I mean you can... but if you even have to ask the question, you can't.

Originally Posted by NYTooCooL
Lol I appreciate the post and the information but I cant help but feel like my http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...me-engine.html thread fueled this post. Especially when you referred to the Nissan Quest, correct? But man GREAT write up. Hopefully it becomes a sticky. I added your thread in my OP. BTW would swapping engines affect my choice of which Cattman headers to get? like ->03....04->
I've posted this information countless times in many threads, yours was just the last straw, I can find post easier if I'm the OP and not just someone replying to a thread..... So the next n00b who refuses to search will get flamed w/ meme images and a link here

And well if it's the same upper oil pan then no issues what so ever, the only ones I question or don't know about are stated above in the list.

Last edited by aackshun; 04-24-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Banned

The year that comes with the cvt is what i had picked up when i did my swap and the upper pan and sensor location and plug were different.the pan had a slight indent or curve in to it and also the lower pan had a different bolt pattern.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 PM

^ Hrmm, I wonder how close it is to the 5AT pans then....
Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM

So the next n00b who refuses to search will get flamed w/ meme images and a link here
You know the org well, dont' you?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
You know the org well, dont' you?
Well this thread and my thread have DIRECT answers sooooo......
Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 PM

Is there a thread with the RWD version differences listed? Ie. What does it take to swap in the RWD version other than the obvious bell housing, lower oil pan, and intake manifold, are the short blocks the same?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 AM

ok i have an 07 maxima engine going into my 4thgen and i dont see anything plastic about the intake maniflod,i dont get it
Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Max streets
ok i have an 07 maxima engine going into my 4thgen and i dont see anything plastic about the intake maniflod,i dont get it
If it is black=plastic.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:47 AM

yes ,but since when did the 6.5gen come with black manifolds,black started on the 7thgen,and came out first on the 07 altima.(black).
Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 AM

yes ,but since when did the 6.5gen come with black manifolds,black started on the 7thgen,and came out first on the 07 altima.(black).
Are you asking or telling?
I give up.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks!

Thanks for putting all of this into one section, and to the members that helped build this knowledgebase. Helps me isolate swappable engines.

I can't even begin to list all the other VQ35 engine threads on here that were also helpful.

Wish I had SurraTT's ***** for an '09 swap.

I'm searching for an engine, and a garage to perform the work since I don't have space and it would be the biggest auto project I've taken. If I can find part/labor costs anywhere near what others are reporting, I'll be happy. So far, best I can find is mid-mileage engines for $1200, $200 shipping if not local, and labor for $1000. Need to get that down a little....
Old 05-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Is there a thread with the RWD version differences listed? Ie. What does it take to swap in the RWD version other than the obvious bell housing, lower oil pan, and intake manifold, are the short blocks the same?

^^ noooooob!!! It's in the stickies!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by phi11yphan
Thanks for putting all of this into one section, and to the members that helped build this knowledgebase. Helps me isolate swappable engines.

I can't even begin to list all the other VQ35 engine threads on here that were also helpful.

Wish I had SurraTT's ***** for an '09 swap.

I'm searching for an engine, and a garage to perform the work since I don't have space and it would be the biggest auto project I've taken. If I can find part/labor costs anywhere near what others are reporting, I'll be happy. So far, best I can find is mid-mileage engines for $1200, $200 shipping if not local, and labor for $1000. Need to get that down a little....
Well the above guide will help kill your engine cost if you use it properly, I can tell you now 1k is too much for a good mileage (70-90k) VQ, just depends on which car you get it out of.

Also I would like to ask that we keep chatter down to a minimum here, only things that are needed in this thread are helpful contributions to the OP. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Well the above guide will help kill your engine cost if you use it properly, I can tell you now 1k is too much for a good mileage (70-90k) VQ, just depends on which car you get it out of.

Also I would like to ask that we keep chatter down to a minimum here, only things that are needed in this thread are helpful contributions to the OP. Thanks.
no chatter just tryna tell u no plastic mani on 6.5gen only 7gen and 07 altima and up.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM

no chatter just tryna tell u no plastic mani on 6.5gen only 7gen and 07 altima and up.
God. You... Idiot... Stop.... Ugh.

You're just not worth it.

Last edited by aackshun; 06-04-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:24 AM

According to the op's chart, to replace the engine in an 02 maxima, an 06 altima and an 08 quest would provide good donor engines with the transfer of manifolds/oil pans, etc...

After studying the fsm's for all three engines, the 02 max has a compression ratio of 10.3:1, but the 06 altima and 08 quest have 10.0:1. Would this attribute to some of the lower hp numbers for those motors?

It looks like the 07/08 Maxima engine would be the best bet, same 10.3 compression ratio. Does the plastic intake provide any upgrades over the 02 setup? Are throttle bodies interchangable or do I need to make certain the junkyard motor from an 07/08 comes with a throttle body?

Thanks for all the help this site has given me so far...
Old 11-25-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ablackformula
According to the op's chart, to replace the engine in an 02 maxima, an 06 altima and an 08 quest would provide good donor engines with the transfer of manifolds/oil pans, etc...

After studying the fsm's for all three engines, the 02 max has a compression ratio of 10.3:1, but the 06 altima and 08 quest have 10.0:1. Would this attribute to some of the lower hp numbers for those motors?

It looks like the 07/08 Maxima engine would be the best bet, same 10.3 compression ratio. Does the plastic intake provide any upgrades over the 02 setup? Are throttle bodies interchangable or do I need to make certain the junkyard motor from an 07/08 comes with a throttle body?

Thanks for all the help this site has given me so far...
Go back and read the key about the identifier, "plastic".
Old 11-25-2013, 02:03 PM

"-Plastic = The VIAS assembly is made from composite materials instead of metal, the functions are exactly the same and can be used with the older solenoids."

This really only mentions the vias function of the intake and does not talk about whether or not the throttle bodies are interchangeable. The throttle body gaskets for an 08 maxima and 02 maxima are different part numbers when looked up on nissanpartszone.com. This leads me to further questions... will the 02 throttle body fit to the 08 plastic intake, and if not, will the 08 throttle body work with the 02 ecu (same connectors, programming, etc?)

I will spend more time reading in the all motor section, but believe me I've already invested quite some time in searching this forum and fsm's and parts sites..
Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 PM

The tb will interchange, it is only the vias assembly that is different.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ablackformula
"-Plastic = The VIAS assembly is made from composite materials instead of metal, the functions are exactly the same and can be used with the older solenoids."

This really only mentions the vias function of the intake and does not talk about whether or not the throttle bodies are interchangeable. The throttle body gaskets for an 08 maxima and 02 maxima are different part numbers when looked up on nissanpartszone.com. This leads me to further questions... will the 02 throttle body fit to the 08 plastic intake, and if not, will the 08 throttle body work with the 02 ecu (same connectors, programming, etc?)

I will spend more time reading in the all motor section, but believe me I've already invested quite some time in searching this forum and fsm's and parts sites..
Hey it seems like you're really trying here and everyone can appreciate someone doing some great footwork on their own trying to arm themselves with knowledge and all but....

I will not answer any questions along the lines of "I have an 02 maxima, will the 08 motor fit my car?" The answer is right in front of you.

but I will answer questions on how to use this guide, if you're having a hard time using it.

If you find any errors, please PM me so I can make corrections.

Last edited by aackshun; 12-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello All.

2 questions on the compatibility chart.

So if the newer donor engine (04-06 5AT) has the CPS located at bottom, but its going into a vehicle where the CPS is located in the front (by radiator) (like on an 02 4AT), how are people dealing with the mis-matched location ? Are they just making a half-circle cut into the bottom of transaxle bell-housing to make a place for the CPS to fit ?

ERG is mentioned a few times for the intake. What is the significance ? Does ERG impact the fitment on an older vehicle.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jonssellers
Hello All.

2 questions on the compatibility chart.

So if the newer donor engine (04-06 5AT) has the CPS located at bottom, but its going into a vehicle where the CPS is located in the front (by radiator) (like on an 02 4AT), how are people dealing with the mis-matched location ? Are they just making a half-circle cut into the bottom of transaxle bell-housing to make a place for the CPS to fit ?

ERG is mentioned a few times for the intake. What is the significance ? Does ERG impact the fitment on an older vehicle.
1.swap oil pan

2. Egr is useless get rid of it
Old 07-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you Nestorlugo. This makes perfect sense. I originally thought that CPS sensor hole was part of the block. But now that I looked closer at it I see that it is part of the oil pan. Hence swapping the oil pan solves the problem.

Last edited by jonssellers; 07-20-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you very much aackshun for putting this information together and also Nestorlugo for your feedback. I bought a used VQ35 from a 2007 Maxima and dropped it into a 2002 Maxima. Runs well and everything works. As you directed in the fitment guide the main change was to swap the upper oil pan and intake manifolds from the old motor. In addition to that was a few small brackets and one sensor (the one underneath the lower intake manifold) that required swapping. Everything else fit perfectly. This is a great informative posting.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will an 05 maxima 6spd upper oil pan fit on an 05 altima 5spd. Swapped a motor with a 4AT and didnt know about the pan differences
Old 08-02-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sna1l_Tra1l
Will an 05 maxima 6spd upper oil pan fit on an 05 altima 5spd. Swapped a motor with a 4AT and didnt know about the pan differences
Yes
Old 08-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Yes
Thank you i got one comming
Old 12-03-2019, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sna1l_Tra1l
It's not necessary to swap pans, per my guide it's all the same.

I like how this thread still hasn't been stickied looool.

Last edited by aackshun; 12-03-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will a 2011 Altima v6 3.5 vq35de engine and transmission work on a 2011 maxima sv? From the model numbers they're the same engine and transmission but from what i read the only difference is the intake manifold and the ECU tuning but both of those will come from my Maxima as is.

Someone also told me that the variable exhaust cam timing isn't on the Altima engine so if that's the case can it be added?

Also will that engine and transmission still function correctly with everything in the maxima such as the "manual" shifting and sports mode?
Old 04-30-2020, 07:40 PM

I would like to update this guide with windage tray information as well.

If everyone could chime in so I can edit the first post that would be greaaaat.

Also I think the 07/08 maxima will be a new option for 6mt oil pans.... I am going to test it on an engine stand shortly....
Old 11-22-2020, 06:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

so ify understanding of the chart is right then the 2006 altima motor will fit my 07 Maxima if I swap pans right?I'm new to site burbern reading up for weeks on here.thanks for all you do.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 07maximaMan
so ify understanding of the chart is right then the 2006 altima motor will fit my 07 Maxima if I swap pans right?I'm new to site burbern reading up for weeks on here.thanks for all you do.
I do not think you understand at all....

I will not answer any questions along the lines of "I have an 02 maxima, will the 08 motor fit my car?" The answer is right in front of you. - Notice how I use the words "fit", mixing different chassis and years will entail other endeavors, eg harness and sub-harness swapping, NOT the point of this thread, this is purely for physical installation of the motor only.

It is also possible to change intake manifolds and oil pans to fit the application you need it for too, so if you have a very specific application like an 08 maxima you can use an 03 maxima engine if you change the oil pan.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:37 PM
Lightly modded

I like how this thread still hasn't been stickied looool.
This thread is now a sticky, thank you for making such a useful thread.