All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

VAFC tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:49 AM

VAFC tuning question

I have searched through the performance forums and haven't been able to locate this information, so hopefully someone with a similar setup is feeling nice. I am installing a 00vi with 5th gen injectors. I need to set my fuel corrections to a reasonable level so I can drive to the dyno shop to have it tweaked just right. My question is this: does anyone have a mostly stock vq30de with a 4th gen ecu and 00vi with 5th gen injectors and the willingness to share their fuel correction values so I can get at least close enough to make a 15 mile trip without blowing the motor to peices? I would be very grateful.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:52 AM

You won't be blowing the motor to pieces, 5th gen injectors with a stock 4th gen ECU will make the car run slightly richer while cruising, (though this should be corrected by your o2 sensors) and at WOT it will run very rich (this is not dangerous to the car by any means).

Once you get to the dyno place they can do the tune for max power wide open throttle.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 AM

Running a little rich wont blow up your motor, now running it too lean thats another story. You should be fine driving it 15 miles to get it tuned
Old 05-02-2014, 03:27 PM

Running rich itself wont, but soaking 200k cats in raw fuel for 20 minutes certainly isn't good. "Blowing it to pieces" is an exaggeration of course, but id still like the correction values. If you don't have them or are not willing to share, please don't clutter my thread. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
You won't be blowing the motor to pieces, 5th gen injectors with a stock 4th gen ECU will make the car run slightly richer while cruising, (though this should be corrected by your o2 sensors) and at WOT it will run very rich (this is not dangerous to the car by any means).

Once you get to the dyno place they can do the tune for max power wide open throttle.
I can attest that the car will run and drive normally, meaning not any richer or leaner than before, in closed loop conditions with 5th gen injectors paired with a stock ECU. As you mentioned, WOT is very rich so say the least, but not harmful.

OP, just drive the car to the dyno and keep your foot out of the throttle if you're so concerned about your cats.

If you had a wideband, you could actually verify that your ECU is doing a good job of maintaining stoich mixtures in closed loop, and not soaking the cats in raw fuel as you are inclined to believe.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
OP, just drive the car to the dyno and keep your foot out of the throttle if you're so concerned about your cats.

If you had a wideband, you could actually verify that your ECU is doing a good job of maintaining stoich mixtures in closed loop, and not soaking the cats in raw fuel as you are inclined to believe.
A wideband is on my list If I dont find one prior to installing this setup I always have access to a consult to at least read the regular O2's in line graph mode (perks of being a dealer technician) I know that it will probably be ok, hell I drove it the rest of the way to work after one of the spark plugs blew out. If I have the option of minimizing damage to the car then I want to do it.

I will make this easy. I know I can drive the car. I know that the engine won't blow up. I am looking for someone with a similar setup that wouldn't mind taking a few mins out of their day to share their correction values. If your only advice is just to drive it anyways, move on. I didn't ask whether it was safe to drive or not, I asked for correction values. I probably could have found this information in a search but threads of a technical nature tend to go way off topic when people do stuff like this, which based on my reading so far is most of the time.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 AM

I have been running 5th gen injectors in my 4th gen max with 4th gen ecu for like 8 years, untuned. I know it runs rich and I stay off the throttle mostly because its a huge waste of fuel. Id like to tune but even untuned I get high 20's mpg's when I drive it right. Gas mileage is terribly awful if I do much/any WOT runs.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:05 PM

There was a write up in fb in one if the 4th gen groups in there in how to do it urself
Old 05-30-2014, 12:27 PM

Thanks Dragon, I found a post buried in the 5th gen tuning sticky that I will use to get the settings close, and have them fine tuned at a dyno.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

I been running 5 gen injectors for over a year and as started it's fine a little rich I need to get around to installing that neo
Old 08-07-2014, 11:21 AM

Been running 00vi untuned on my 99 for over a year now as well, and I get decent mileage...I have an emu and I just now finished a harness (95 ecu) for the emu. I am a bit hesitant to use the emu I have no experience with it bu using the dandymax writeup has been a great aid. So I will probably either install it soon, or sell it.
But OP it's ok to run rich if you don't mind a little less mpg.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo_Pilot
Thanks Dragon, I found a post buried in the 5th gen tuning sticky that I will use to get the settings close, and have them fine tuned at a dyno.
Please provide a link.