All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3.0 Timing to 3.5 VCT

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:15 AM

3.0 Timing to 3.5 VCT

I've got a 96 Nistune ECU and Nistune does have VCT built in, im gonna assume I'll have to swap in a 5.5gen ECU? The VCT solenoid and all the other 5.5gen timing equipment and remove the cam spacers. Wouldn't have to tear apart the block for this the majority of the work is under the hood? Rewiring a new harness wouldn't bother me much I've got plenty of soldering experience and I don't like the work of the person who did the swap

If I do have to toss the nistune then maybe it can foot the bill for the parts

Last edited by Violator; 07-27-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:43 AM

another way to go about it might be to use the front cover and everything from a 2002+ VQ35 pathfinder, all the sensors and such are on the front cover, if it's something you want to look into I have a front cover and everything from the pathfinder sitting around
Old 07-26-2018, 12:43 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

You didn't build this right? Do you know where the static cam timing is? What adapters were used?

What is your intake plenum setup? Working VIAS?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by vernk
another way to go about it might be to use the front cover and everything from a 2002+ VQ35 pathfinder, all the sensors and such are on the front cover, if it's something you want to look into I have a front cover and everything from the pathfinder sitting around
Originally Posted by JSutter
You didn't build this right? Do you know where the static cam timing is? What adapters were used?

What is your intake plenum setup? Working VIAS?
Here is the link to the swap thread there's pics of the timing setup and it sounds like they used spacers. The owner was adriena Romeo just helped him with the swap. When i bought the car he told me there was a 2° timing advance, intake cam? Maybe you can tell me what he was talking about.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/550098-vq35-swap-progress-2.html

the VIAS is deleted I think it's an nwp block off plate. I still have adrienas number if there's any other specifics I need.

The ECU wiring has begun to sound more fun than I originally thought. So I'll need a flywheel spacer fabricated? The 02/03 cluster, ECU and nats, egas, throttle body, and my eyes hurt from reading I'm off to bed I'll finish this post tomorrow lol

Last edited by Violator; 07-27-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:11 PM

Youre basically going to need to undo everything that was done to this 3.5 and revert the engine back to stock 3.5 parts and sensors; in addition to adding in the things you mentioned ecu, egas, nats, etc. May be easier to sell your current motor and buy another 3.5 to drop in.
Use a 6mt or have an adapter made for the 5mt flywheel to use the 3.5 signal plate.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Youre basically going to need to undo everything that was done to this 3.5 and revert the engine back to stock 3.5 parts and sensors; in addition to adding in the things you mentioned ecu, egas, nats, etc. May be easier to sell your current motor and buy another 3.5 to drop in.
Use a 6mt or have an adapter made for the 5mt flywheel to use the 3.5 signal plate.
You did a 2013 swap into your 4th gen? 3.0 timing? I saw you did it with a 6spd but I wanna do it with my 4th gen 5spd. Process be the same for 3.5 timing as a 2002? 2013 cluster, pedal, TB, ECU and dash harness, custom timing ring? I finally found a thread on someone detailing a 2007 Altima swap with 3.0 timing. I can't find one on a full swap but 5.5jenners have swapped it in, and if their harness setups work without issue then the procedure would basically be the same as an 02/03 full swap? I'd love to be the first 7th gen full swap (unless its been done already maybe I can at least make it on a short list) if the cluster even fits
​​​​
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/549142-vq30-ecu-binary-hex-addresses.html this dude controlled his VTCs with PWM. Matt from Nistune said that he did create the VTC section for the A32 on a 95 I'm just double checking he understands I mean for the static 3.0 timing equipment. If so this is huge, practically eliminates the point of a full 3.5 swap

Last edited by Violator; 07-28-2018 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Violator
You did a 2013 swap into your 4th gen? 3.0 timing? I saw you did it with a 6spd but I wanna do it with my 4th gen 5spd. Process be the same for 3.5 timing as a 2002? 2013 cluster, pedal, TB, ECU and dash harness, custom timing ring? I finally found a thread on someone detailing a 2007 Altima swap with 3.0 timing. I can't find one on a full swap but 5.5jenners have swapped it in, and if their harness setups work without issue then the procedure would basically be the same as an 02/03 full swap? I'd love to be the first 7th gen full swap (unless its been done already maybe I can at least make it on a short list) if the cluster even fits
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...addresses.html this dude controlled his VTCs with PWM. Matt from Nistune said that he did create the VTC section for the A32 on a 95 I'm just double checking he understands I mean for the static 3.0 timing equipment. If so this is huge, practically eliminates the point of a full 3.5 swap
​​​​2013 engine, 3.0 timing (custom cam adapters different than the older 3.5 swap adapters). 6MT with custom timing ring for flywheel to match 3.0 ECU, which to the ECU is the same as running a 5MT.
Due to all of the extra CAN system components of newer models, the consensus seems to be 02/03 full swap then do 5.7 swap on top of that. You could also use all new stuff from a 7th gen too, just might be more complex with the CAN system. The cluster fitting in the dash should be the least of your worries.

Did you read the whole thread? https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post7117733
I applaud your efforts, but with that work required, you may as well do a full 02/03 swap. This does not allow you to run VCT with 3.0 timing. He was using 3.5 timing and modified the exhaust cams to replicate 3.0 cam sensor. Physical limitations of (US*) 3.0 timing do not allow for use of variable cam timing, even if the 3.5 VCT solenoids are installed because the 3.5 cam gears have some play in them (controlled by oil pressure from VCT solenoid) to allow the cams to rotate independently of the timing chain. The closest you might get to running VCT on 3.0 timing is by using 3.5 pathfinder components (it is unknown if the cam signal pattern on those intake cams is compatible with our 3.0 ECU. With the pathfinder 3.5 components, you also have the issue of a transverse motor with a longitudinal front cover, and accessory interchangeability between the two.

The tables that Matt added (in place of the EGR solenoid) are typically used to activate a VIAS solenoid found in most 00vi or some 3.5 swaps.

*All US 3.0 have static cam timing. Some foreign market 2.0, 2.5, and possibly 3.0 have VVEL (variable valve lift). I dont recall if any of those engines had VCT (variable cam advance)

I hope that makes sense, let me know if any of that is unclear.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:29 PM

That was all well put you shot down both ideas, thanks. Well I found a good deal on a 2013 with 53k on it not far from me, sold my Nistune already now just need to sell my swap and parts hopefully end up breaking even on this idk how much it will cost to get a timing ring made to match the 4th gen 5spd flywheel to the 3.5 timing and how much I'll be able to get the 02/03 ECU, harness dsh harness gauge and egas
Old 07-29-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Violator
That was all well put you shot down both ideas, thanks. Well I found a good deal on a 2013 with 53k on it not far from me, sold my Nistune already now just need to sell my swap and parts hopefully end up breaking even on this idk how much it will cost to get a timing ring made to match the 4th gen 5spd flywheel to the 3.5 timing and how much I'll be able to get the 02/03 ECU, harness dsh harness gauge and egas
Remember that you'll need all the 02/03 sensors to keep the ECU happy. And look up romraider, you can tune the 02/03 ECUs now with a $10 cable.
I started working on an adapter to bolt a JWT 3.5 signal plate on a stock 3.0 flywheel and ended up tabling it a couple years ago. PM me if you want to work something out.