Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

When playing music with subs, do your trunk rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 11:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just got these two JL10WO subs. When I turn the volume up, the whole trunk seem to vibrate. This might be normal because the two subs are in the trunk. One of my friend told me that from the outside, it just doesn't sound right. Maybe I need to get some kind of insulation thing so it woulnd't sound bad? It's hard to describle, it's just doesn't sound like that great. I may also need to change my speakers. Right now, I have the Boston Rally speakers, but maybe those aren't good enough. I don't know. Suggestions?
Old 12-10-2000, 01:48 PM

yup, it will happen because of the bass in the trunk...

i got some expanding foam insulator(great stuff) and sprayed it into the crevices of the trunk lid..be careful tho because it expands A LOT...i seem to have small dimples in my trunk now because it bent the trunk when drying and expanding..anyway, it took away A LOT of the vibrating and made the subs sound better..
Old 12-10-2000, 03:36 PM

There are a variety of sound-insulation products out there; most are either an adhesive sheet like Dynamat, or a spray-on substance. Doing either or a combination of those to your trunk should reduce the rattles.
Old 12-10-2000, 10:15 PM

The main problem rattle for me seems to be the lock mechanism in the trunk. I have no idea how to fix it because its not like you can put dynamat on it.
Old 12-10-2000, 11:09 PM
jmax

Get a foam mattress pad and cut it up. Then shove it in all the little holes. But before you do that use a spray damping material like cascade audio. If you go with the <$4 fix foam in a can use the polyurethane and allow it to cure for 24 hours before adding any more. Or it will damage the trunk or wherever you add it(rear quarterpannels/fender areas, front and rear doors-make sure you drill holes for H20 to drip out).

Old 12-11-2000, 06:58 AM

Visit http://math.osu.edu/~ccunning/maxima/damp.html

My car doesn't really rattle much due to the stereo... Since I removed the rear speakers from the rear deck, the deck rattles a bit, but that was fixed easily. My trunk lid does rattle some, but you can't hear it in the car, and I really don't care what it sounds like outside the car...
Old 12-11-2000, 08:24 AM
STFU n00b!

Chad, I wish my trunk didn't rattle..
the whole car sounds like it's about to fall apart now... all the padding is worn out on the rear deck, so my rear deck rattles and buzzes now.. the trunk always has, even with 3 layers of dynamat on much of it (2 on the trunklid)

the dash has recently begun rattling somewhere behind my gauges, and the screws in the doors keep falling out. I have to tighten them at least once every week. GRRRRRR

then again, that's the price you pay for adding enough stereo to the car to cause the rear window to flex 1/2".
Old 12-11-2000, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Chad, I wish my trunk didn't rattle..
the whole car sounds like it's about to fall apart now... all the padding is worn out on the rear deck, so my rear deck rattles and buzzes now.. the trunk always has, even with 3 layers of dynamat on much of it (2 on the trunklid)

the dash has recently begun rattling somewhere behind my gauges, and the screws in the doors keep falling out. I have to tighten them at least once every week. GRRRRRR

then again, that's the price you pay for adding enough stereo to the car to cause the rear window to flex 1/2".
That's because you have one of them 3rd gens! jk Yeah, mine rattles like crazy if I crank it up and am doing 140 dB, but I've only done that once... At the level I listen, with a nice balance between bass and front, I don't get any rattles.
Old 12-11-2000, 10:39 AM
STFU n00b!

yeah, very true.. there's very few rattles when I listen at normal levels, but when I crank it up, buzz city!

hopefully I'll get some of them fixed friday before the dallas meet...
half the screws that hold my door panel together are falling out because they're so loose now.. oh well.
Old 12-23-2000, 11:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Deathwish,

What did you do to stop the rattle in your rear deck??

Originally posted by deathwish

Visit http://math.osu.edu/~ccunning/maxima/damp.html

My car doesn't really rattle much due to the stereo... Since I removed the rear speakers from the rear deck, the deck rattles a bit, but that was fixed easily. My trunk lid does rattle some, but you can't hear it in the car, and I really don't care what it sounds like outside the car...
Old 12-24-2000, 03:16 PM

You will never eliminate the trunk rattle, only reduce it. It shakes from the waves of the sub... also SPL (sound pressure level). My whole entire trunk is Dynamat and stuffed and still rattled from my trio of 10w3's. It's vital where you place your dampening. Even w/ my 1 Xtant 10 it still shakes. Dont forget the license plate too!

I dynamt my deck too. Had to rip the rear seats out adn pop the panels and then deck slides out... jsut a cheezy sheet of cardboard w/ carpet.
Old 12-29-2000, 06:19 PM

nice idea...

I was reading up on http://www.carsound.com in their forum section and one of their recommendations is plumbers putty. Here are the threads about it. http://www.carsound.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002274.html
http://www.carsound.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002316.html
Old 12-30-2000, 08:48 PM
mting

Have you tried accumat? Although not as popular as Dynamat, this material is by far easier to apply AND it's made of cement type compound that will never crack like some dynamat. It's also cheaper then dynamat which is always a good thing!

Old 01-01-2001, 06:57 PM

Someone told me about using indoor outdoor carpeting to deaden the noise. They said that you put the carpet all around the trunk and then spray the trunk lid with something strong b/c thats where most of the rattling comes from ?? I was going to try it soon so I'll get back to you but if anybody has already done it, let me know how it came out.....