Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

The Best Sound Setup - Please give me some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 08:34 PM

The Best Sound Setup - Please give me some advice

I want to add a subwoofer with a nice amp. I want it to run on the stock bose system (I like the way it sounds). What do you guys recommend? Alpine, fosgate...kicker...? I'm planning on having a custom made box to match my drunk. I leaning towards a single 15 incher? I'm from NYC if anyone wants to meet etc. Also, will it slow me down to the point I will need to take out the sub for better performance. I'm getting/have lots of performance mods and do not want to lose performance.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:46 PM
no more maxima...

Re: The Best Sound Setup - Please give me some advice

get a 4 cube box....slot port it to 35hz, stick a kicker 15 L7 dvc 4ohm in there, link it with a cadence a7h or jbl bp1200.1, and your ride will slam...that is a good value system right there..
Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
I want to add a subwoofer with a nice amp. I want it to run on the stock bose system (I like the way it sounds). What do you guys recommend? Alpine, fosgate...kicker...? I'm planning on having a custom made box to match my drunk. I leaning towards a single 15 incher? I'm from NYC if anyone wants to meet etc. Also, will it slow me down to the point I will need to take out the sub for better performance. I'm getting/have lots of performance mods and do not want to lose performance.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:02 PM
ivelweyz

Got to the AUDIO forum, that's why they made one u know...

Old 07-18-2002, 11:50 PM
Sports Button FTW

yea definitely in the wrong spot.

I'm also looking for subs and deciding between some old discontinued but kicking rockfords or JL's...everyone says JL's are strong and clear but the price on rockfords for the wattage (discontinued ones) is too good to pass by...i found this one spot...800 watts for 150 bucks...obviously i can get cheaper but that's just a start...
Old 07-19-2002, 03:45 PM
no more maxima...

wattage ratings vary between manufacturers...fosgate may rate their HE2 @ 400w rms and 800 w peak...but jl might rate the same size w3 @ like 250 watts rms...but the jl can most likely take 500 wrms much easier than a fosgate would....it is all about the way they manufacturer rates their subs...dont just look at wattage alone, there are many other specs that play a role in the way the sub performs...just because pyramid says their subs hand 1000 watts...it dont mean sh*t...you will be lucky if the sub survives a good 200 watts rms from a US Amps or Xtant.
Originally posted by meccanoble

I'm also looking for subs and deciding between some old discontinued but kicking rockfords or JL's...everyone says JL's are strong and clear but the price on rockfords for the wattage (discontinued ones) is too good to pass by...i found this one spot...800 watts for 150 bucks...obviously i can get cheaper but that's just a start...
Old 07-19-2002, 05:18 PM

What's your budget? There are a LOT of good 15s out there. If you're really worried about weight, you probably are going to want a small sealed box too.

Old 07-19-2002, 05:24 PM

You shouldn't decide on what sub to buy simply based on the ratings. JLs are underrated in terms of power handling. THey can take a lot more than what they are rated for without any problems at all. I have a friend who has 2 JL 12w3s running off a RF 800.2 so they're getting over 400 watts a piece. I'm pretty sure they're rated a little less than that and he has been running them for a while without any problems whatsoever. If you want good cheap subs check out Kicker Comp VR (less than $100 a piece). Also there are a lot of lesser known sub brands that will definately outperform similar priced mainstream brands in the same price range. Look into Resonant Engineering and Elemental Designs.

Originally posted by meccanoble

Old 07-19-2002, 07:33 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Re: The Best Sound Setup - Please give me some advice

Originally posted by ivelweyz

Got to the AUDIO forum, that's why they made one u know...
Forgive me here, but isnt THIS the "audio and Electronics" forum???
Old 07-19-2002, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Gates
You shouldn't decide on what sub to buy simply based on the ratings. JLs are underrated in terms of power handling. THey can take a lot more than what they are rated for without any problems at all. I have a friend who has 2 JL 12w3s running off a RF 800.2 so they're getting over 400 watts a piece. I'm pretty sure they're rated a little less than that and he has been running them for a while without any problems whatsoever. If you want good cheap subs check out Kicker Comp VR (less than $100 a piece). Also there are a lot of lesser known sub brands that will definately outperform similar priced mainstream brands in the same price range. Look into Resonant Engineering and Elemental Designs.

i have heard quite a few of the elemental setups, and i like how they sound. from what i hear the RE's are kickass too. i have only heard the elementals cuz im a rep tho

eric
Old 07-20-2002, 01:10 AM

Yeah, I blew my IDMAX and so I was looking into getting another sub, heard some REs & the e12a and they sounded great. Didn't want two subs though so I went Brahma.....
Old 07-20-2002, 07:20 AM
no more maxima...

Brahma is a freakin killer sub....how much did that cost u? I would take one over a W7 any day.
Originally posted by Gates
Yeah, I blew my IDMAX and so I was looking into getting another sub, heard some REs & the e12a and they sounded great. Didn't want two subs though so I went Brahma.....
Old 07-20-2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by kingrukus
Brahma is a freakin killer sub....how much did that cost u? I would take one over a W7 any day.
i have a single 15 brahma (from the preorder), and another 15 brahma comin in a few days

eric
Old 07-20-2002, 03:55 PM

Question about subs.

Anybody know anything about Diamond Subs? I have a friend who sells them retail, and he lives by them. He says they out perform jl, and other good companys?
Old 07-20-2002, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by kingrukus
I paid $380 from ampmanaudio.com. Not here yet, though. RIght now I'm running my old Audiobahn aw1200x, loud but only decent SQ. As for Diamond subs, I haven't heard them in person but I've heard that they're good. From Diamond I would imagine they are more SQ oriented.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:17 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Question about subs.

Originally posted by DR0832
Anybody know anything about Diamond Subs? I have a friend who sells them retail, and he lives by them. He says they out perform jl, and other good companys?
I personally have all Diamond in my car, and I love them. Alot of my customers actually choose them over the JLs 9 out of 10. Let me know what kind of prices your guy gives, and Ill see what I can do to help out a felolow Org member, if you are interested in them. As far as highs they were rated 1st place this month online Mobile Entertainment mag through AOL. In February they were compared to MB Quart and Kicker Resolution, hands down beat them both. The series of Diamond used was M3 (their lowest line).

--Don
Old 07-21-2002, 05:23 AM

i've also heard the brahama was an excellent sub..

comparable to idmax, w6, mass 2012 & evo , etc...

good balance of SQ and SQL and crazy loud.

have any of you with the brahama been metered yet?
Old 07-21-2002, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by bacid
i've also heard the brahama was an excellent sub..

comparable to idmax, w6, mass 2012 & evo , etc...

good balance of SQ and SQL and crazy loud.

have any of you with the brahama been metered yet?
i was with a friend who competed with 2 15 brahma's in a 6.6 cube ported box @ ~55 hz, and he was hittin around 155 outlaw in the passenger kick panel at 61 hz. this was in a 2k s10 extended cab, on a pair of strapped dei's at 2 ohm (1 ohm per amp). the ambient temp was high, and we'd been beatin on the subs trying to find the peak, so on a cool day, provided everything was tuned right, it should do around 156-158.

eric