Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Is there anything wrong with this fuseholder mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 07:20 AM
I'm so hood

Is there anything wrong with this fuseholder mount?

Heh...in my spirit of researching car audio equipment, selecting relatively nice equipment, and then finding creative ways to ghetto-ize the installation, here's another blizz special...

What possible negative consequences could I have from mounting my fuseholder to the outside of the battery (don't stop reading there, not THAT ghetto) with velcro? I figured there'd be nothing wrong with the actual contact to the side of the battery, but wondered about general engine bay heat and whether or not velcro could withstand it. And I usually forget to "figure" other things, so feel free to zap me if you want, with info to back you up (you can flame me for being chincy on my installs too, but it's not like I don't already know I am )
Old 07-19-2002, 09:13 AM

Re: Is there anything wrong with this fuseholder mount?

Originally posted by blizz20oma
Heh...in my spirit of researching car audio equipment, selecting relatively nice equipment, and then finding creative ways to ghetto-ize the installation, here's another blizz special...

What possible negative consequences could I have from mounting my fuseholder to the outside of the battery (don't stop reading there, not THAT ghetto) with velcro? I figured there'd be nothing wrong with the actual contact to the side of the battery, but wondered about general engine bay heat and whether or not velcro could withstand it. And I usually forget to "figure" other things, so feel free to zap me if you want, with info to back you up (you can flame me for being chincy on my installs too, but it's not like I don't already know I am )
well blizz..the guys that made velcro and all the others that followed behind the idea are ALL millionares......so being ghetto may have gotten them out of the ghetto for their ideas...lol
Although a good idea, it won't hold up long term do to heat..the adhesive will eventually fail at some time...I like to mount to the battery also, but I usually mount it to the tie down strap used for batteries...the guy that invented zip ties is a millionare too...lol
Old 07-19-2002, 09:56 AM
I'm so hood

hehe, yea...that's what I was originally thinking but I didn't have any zipties handy. I had the velcro handy from mounting my hu remote on the passenger side of the center console, right near the seat. Again, ghetto, but driving a 5-sp, my hand is always there, and the remote is out of the way of passenger legs

Perhaps it'd be a good idea to use some high-temp adhesive to help out the velcro adhesive around the edges. I have some silicone gasket sealant at home...you don't want to know what I've used that for in the past

I wish I knew someone around locally that knew SOMETHING about car audio installs. I'm all by myself when it comes to working on the car, learning by mistake seems to be my best method.
Old 07-20-2002, 02:31 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally posted by blizz20oma
I wish I knew someone around locally that knew SOMETHING about car audio installs. I'm all by myself when it comes to working on the car, learning by mistake seems to be my best method.
I checked your profile...so your from Omaha huh? How's the import scene out there?
Old 07-21-2002, 11:15 AM
I'm so hood

To me it seems, the "scene" is primarily made up of 16-18 year old guys with the normal 16-18 year old cars, all with the same basic show/go mods installed by someone else. It really was nothing until a couple of years ago, and now it's pretty laughable (ala, a bunch of high school kids meeting in a parking lot somewhere and getting kicked out by the cops).

I would just like to find someone that worked on their car and maybe took it out to the track, etc, to help in the garage and whatnot, but it's hard to find a place to look for those kind of people here. I'd probably run SCCA autox's, but the max isn't quite the right car (it might have the potential, but I dont have that much $$ to dump into suspension/handling mods).
Old 07-21-2002, 12:57 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

2 better options: Screw it to metel in either of these two places: Fire wall or in front of the battery on the one empty space there is. glueing it down is just not a good idea, what ever you do, you need screws.