Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

attn. 2k2 maxima owners w/bose

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 10:35 PM

attn. 2k2 maxima owners w/bose

have any 2002 owners WITH bose replaced the system? i have been super confused with the system ever since i saw the bose amp in the trunk.. if you added an amp or sub i need to talk to you to figure out how ! i really dont want to replace the h/u..but im afraid i may have to
Old 07-21-2002, 11:33 PM

Been there. Done that. Here's how.

http://www.go2pac.com

You'll need 3 parts. "ADD-NIS2", "AMP-RCA", and "OEM-1". You can buy them online, or have a local dealer order them. Once you get all the parts, you'll wire it up (see below). Then you can add aftermarket amps to the BOSE setup without any problems, and can even remove it later on without leaving any traces. Average cost for the package was $80 + Shipping.

ADD-NIS2 is a "Y" cable. One end connects to the factory harness. The 2nd end connects to the factory radio. The 3rd end connects to the "OEM-1".

OEM-1 is a line-level convertor. It's a 4 channel adjustable convertor.

AMP-RCA is a cable that connects to the "OEM-1" and provides 4 RCA outputs. You can then run RCA cables to your aftermarket amps and speakers/subs.

As far as sound quality and distortion, it's worked really well. I had a PAC SNI-35 before, and it died after 2 months of use. So I upgraded to the above setup. You can adjust the gain levels on the OEM-1, so if you have distortion, you can correct it.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:42 PM

thanks studman, i needed someone to calm me down with good information... just a quick question: if you install an aftermarket h/u is there anyway to keep the stereo control buttons on the steering wheel functional ? and with the setup you just explained the buttons will still work too right?
Old 07-23-2002, 07:37 AM

If you choose to install an aftermarket HU, make sure that it comes with a wireless remote control (that uses infared). If your HU has a remote, then you can get PAC's "SWI-X" unit, which is a wireless infared transmitter that is programmable. This unit now works with the 2002 Max. All you'd have to do is install the small transmitter in a location that can see the front of the radio, and then "program" it using the instructions provided with the unit. Once that is done, all of your steering wheel controls will function properly.

If your HU does NOT have a wireless remote with it (or doesn't support infared remotes), then you will lose your steering wheel controls (only for the radio).

You can still maintain the trip meter either way. Instructions for hooking up the trip meter with an aftermarket HU are included in the SWI-X's instructions, as well as available here on the .org. Use search and search for "aftermarket HU steering wheel". That should find you what you need.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:50 AM

To keep the trip computer working all u need to do is snip the brown and white wire and hook it up to the ground....easy as that.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:54 PM

I just did this last weekend. I just bought the part that adds the RCAs .. It ran about 20$ at the local stereo shop. I didn't have to mess with the stock setup. However I did disconnect the BOSE sub
Old 07-24-2002, 12:14 PM

Re: attn. 2k2 maxima owners w/bose

im actually going to do this same upgrade in a few weeks, so thanks for posting this, it was the same question i had. i did want to just give my $.02 about what im doing. im replacing the stock sub with an 8" open air JL called the 8ib4 and a 250w JL amp. the only other 8 inch open air i have found is a pioneer. im assuming that youll be using a boxed sub, but just thought you would like to know what im doing incase you hadnt thought of it. carefull though cause open airs are 8 ohm like home speakers.

Originally posted by 2k2.6spd
have any 2002 owners WITH bose replaced the system? i have been super confused with the system ever since i saw the bose amp in the trunk.. if you added an amp or sub i need to talk to you to figure out how ! i really dont want to replace the h/u..but im afraid i may have to
Old 07-25-2002, 10:40 AM

Re: Re: attn. 2k2 maxima owners w/bose

I have 1 10" polk sub .. its perfect. I thought about replacing the actual 8" bose sub, but I don't want the back deck rattling anymore. If yours hasn't started to rattle ... just give it time.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: attn. 2k2 maxima owners w/bose

hmm, thats true, maybe i can come up with someway to buffer the vbration. i havent taken a good look at it, but maybe some dynamat or rubber bushings would help

Originally posted by maximaman14
I have 1 10" polk sub .. its perfect. I thought about replacing the actual 8" bose sub, but I don't want the back deck rattling anymore. If yours hasn't started to rattle ... just give it time.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:15 PM
I miss the .org!

I've got an 02 Max with Bose. I want to install my Infinity Basslink. I've got the RCA cables, fuse, and power/ground wires that I need. What else will I need to install the Basslink to my stock headunit?
Old 07-25-2002, 02:08 PM

1) Read the 2nd message of this thread (the first reply that I wrote).

2) Make sure you run the RCA cables on one side (the passenger's side) of the car, and the power down the other side (the driver's side).

3) You need an amp-turn-on cable. Unless the Infinity does this automatically. If you bought an amp kit, this wire should be included.

There are a couple of places that you can tap the amp-turn-on wire into the factory system. Which place you use depends on 1 small thing. Do you want a switch that will turn the BassLink on/off? This switch will only be active if the HU is on, but allows you to turn off the sub's power in certain conditions. An example would be while the car is parked, not running, but with the radio on.

a) If you choose NOT TO install the switch, all you need is about >10 ft of 18 guage wire (preferably blue or red in color). Run the wire from the BassLink to the BOSE amp in the trunk on the right side (it's mounted to the deck lid). There is a "Green wire with a White stripe" (Connector number is 45). Using a 3M or T-Tap, tap the wire into that wire... DO NOT CUT THE GREEN/WHITE WIRE. That is the amp turn-on wire for the BOSE factory system amp.

b) If you choose TO install the switch, you'll need a switch. Go to an auto parts store and find any switch you like that switches 12 volts. Install the switch wherever you want. Run a 18 guage wire from the BassLink to the switch. Then run another 18 guage wire from the switch to the back of the HU. There is a Green wire with a White stripe" (Connector number is 12). Using a 3M or T-Tap, tap the wire from the switch into that wire... DO NOT CUT THE GREEN/WHITE WIRE. That is the amp turn-on wire for the BOSE factory system amp.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:37 PM
I miss the .org!

Hey studman thank you very much for the detailed info. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm an audio newbie.

The Infinity Basslink does have an auto-on mode, I guess it will just turn on with the car's system. So I guess I'm going to go and buy all three of those components you listed previous...I found a local dealer of the go2pac products.