Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

how could i have blown a speaker already?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 10:04 PM

how could i have blown a speaker already?

so ive had my new speakers in all of 1 week, plus one day, and already a tweeter is shot. how could that be? i broke in the speakers, didnt play them loud for about the first 10 hours of use, dont turn up the volume to extraordinary levels... what gives? the speaker that blew is a Kicker somethingorother, and my HU is an aiwa mp3... i have no amps tho
Old 07-25-2002, 12:39 AM

Re: how could i have blown a speaker already?

Originally posted by magnum
so ive had my new speakers in all of 1 week, plus one day, and already a tweeter is shot. how could that be? i broke in the speakers, didnt play them loud for about the first 10 hours of use, dont turn up the volume to extraordinary levels... what gives? the speaker that blew is a Kicker somethingorother, and my HU is an aiwa mp3... i have no amps tho
Well, speakers are known to go bad on occasion. I had a Diamond Audio HEX 5.25 mid-woofer that was bad out of the box once.

Double check by switching the left/right wires at the stereo to see if something is wrong internally. Also, it may be the xover, so switch those too. If this doesn't fix the problem take it to the dealer and have them test it.

Tony
Old 07-25-2002, 06:25 AM
jmax

It could also be a loose wire. At the tweeter terminals, crossover, or amp. The biggest cause of tweeter failure is distortion. Not basic over-powered amplification. You can blow a 100 watt speaker with a 1 watt amp, if it's pushed beyond it's worth.

Old 07-25-2002, 06:43 AM

More than likely "distortion" blew them. When you blast your speaker regaurless of how powerful they are you will always blow them with distortion. What you need is an amplifier which will create higher rms w/ low distortion.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:34 AM

well i was aware of the fact that i didnt have an amp, so i didnt play them too loud. thats why im wondering how it could have blown. in n fact, when i noticed it was crackling or puffing, there were a bunch of people in the car, and i never play music louder than people can talk, so were not all screaming at eachother. so i should reverse the + - terminals and see if that helps? so jmax, what are you suggesting i do? where would i check for a loose wire? at the xover?
Old 07-25-2002, 10:21 PM
jmax

Originally posted by magnum
well i was aware of the fact that i didnt have an amp, so i didnt play them too loud. thats why im wondering how it could have blown. in n fact, when i noticed it was crackling or puffing, there were a bunch of people in the car, and i never play music louder than people can talk, so were not all screaming at eachother. so i should reverse the + - terminals and see if that helps? so jmax, what are you suggesting i do? where would i check for a loose wire? at the xover?
I would check all the wire terminations. Is the speaker playing intermitently, with crackling? Or is it just not playing? You can also check the speaker with a multimeter, using the ohms gauge. If resistance across the terminals is infinite, the speakers blown. Or at least there is a break in the wire somewhere. probably in the voice coil or a termination inside the tweeter.