Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Qs about mounting my JL 500/1

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 07:52 AM
I'm so hood

Qs about mounting my JL 500/1

The other day I decided to head back to JL's site and get the exact dimensions of the 500/1 so I could work on a mount this weekend for when it gets here next week (hopefully)...

for some reason it just popped into my mind that the 500/1 has all the connectors/*****/etc on the front (wide) side. I knew this before but hadn't pondered on what it meant for my mounting. I was originally thinking of mounting in the cavity on the rear-left side of the trunk opposite of the factory wrench pocket, but that'd be a real tight fit with the front facing towards the back of the trunk, and power/ground wires would be coming all the way up to the "top" of the trunk almost...which would have a better chance of them coming loose over time.

Now I'm thinking of just screwing in a wood board just behind the rear seats, in the plateau area just before the trunk floor stoops down to the spare tire well. I'm going to have to get under the car and see what I might be getting myself into, but I wanted to ask...anyone considered mounting here and run into any problems drilling in the area? Is one side better than the other? Any other advice?

Also, kind of off the thread topic...the JL 500/1 doesn't *need* a remote wire, but I was wondering, is there any reason to use a remote wire over letting it auto-sense the power on? The remote wire is the only one I didn't soldier up front, and just twisted/e-taped due to slack, so I'd prefer not to use it if it doesn't detract from quality in any kind of way.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:05 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

The 500/1 does not require using a remote turn on when using High level inputs. If you have an aftermarket HU it is HIGHLY recommended you use the remote wire.

BTW what did you pay for your 500/1 if you dont mind me asking?
I noticed your sig said "coming in the mail" you bought it from a site?

--Don
Old 07-25-2002, 01:36 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Re: Qs about mounting my JL 500/1

The remote wire is the only one I didn't soldier up front, and just twisted/e-taped due to slack, so I'd prefer not to use it if it doesn't detract from quality in any kind of way.

Whoa!!! Smack me and call me lazy!!! I've never soldered the wires behind my radio I know the instructions tell you to do that but good ol fashioned electrical tape is all I need!!!

Well i guess the one thing thats missing which would help us tell you where to mount is where are the subs if you have any. and how big is your box? Do you want it to be real pretty or functional.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:02 PM
I'm so hood

Whoa!!! Smack me and call me lazy!!! I've never soldered the wires behind my radio I know the instructions tell you to do that but good ol fashioned electrical tape is all I need!!!

Well i guess the one thing thats missing which would help us tell you where to mount is where are the subs if you have any. and how big is your box? Do you want it to be real pretty or functional.
Hehe, I hope you didn't take me saying 'slack' as in, lazy. Just meant the wire had no slack back there...I couldn't even get in enough to crimp the two together. At least its just the remote wire...

I'm function over form, definitely. I wouldn't even really care about covering up the wood mount piece with the stock carpet piece, that's how non-looks I am. I plan on corner-firing my sub in one of the far corners, in a 1 cu ft box, so that's pretty workable.
I'm thinking of mounting on the opposite side I have the sub sitting on, so that I can still have the middle of the trunk open, and a diagonal open for golf clubs and the like.

I'm thinking of something like this for placement, but flat and not vertical:

http://members.aol.com/ericdwong/images/dent1.jpg

BTW what did you pay for your 500/1 if you dont mind me asking?
I noticed your sig said "coming in the mail" you bought it from a site?
I reluctantly ordered it off an eBay store. Better than an eBay seller, I guess. After asking, I was reassured that the unit is brand new, not B-stock or refurbed, with the normal mfgr warranty...I'm still not very keen on ordering online for stereo eq at all, but the local shop wouldn't go lower than $525. I got it for $440 after shipping.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma

I reluctantly ordered it off an eBay store. Better than an eBay seller, I guess. After asking, I was reassured that the unit is brand new, not B-stock or refurbed, with the normal mfgr warranty...I'm still not very keen on ordering online for stereo eq at all, but the local shop wouldn't go lower than $525. I got it for $440 after shipping.
Wow off Ebay? I dont want to be the bad guy here, but all their products are traced through serial numbers, so if a problem JL knows where it came from. This is where the warranty part gets tricky. Them finding out it was an online sale= NO warranty. I wish I woulda caught ya before you ordered it. $400 shipped easily. I do not sell JL on Ebay or any other sites because of the warranty issues. I have been able to get away with it on the forums because Org members are my "friends". Thats all JL needs to know. So despite the fact that I am shipping it somewhere , it is to someone that I know. Not just an online retail site.

--Don
Old 07-25-2002, 02:36 PM

Re: Re: Qs about mounting my JL 500/1

Originally posted by Redmax

Hey Corey is that why your trunk LOOKED (past tense) like that?? Although I dont solder either (14yrs of this S**T) I used good old butt connectors. Then a lil bit of tape to clean it up. No "wimp crimps" here.

--Don
Old 07-25-2002, 05:47 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Re: Re: Re: Qs about mounting my JL 500/1

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Hey Corey is that why your trunk LOOKED (past tense) like that?? Although I dont solder either (14yrs of this S**T) I used good old butt connectors. Then a lil bit of tape to clean it up. No "wimp crimps" here.

--Don
No, ya bum it was called rushing to get sounds so i could take a long trip with some music in my car!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 06:49 PM

I got my JL 500/1 from US car Audio for 400, brand new and all that. I'm not flaming you, I'm just trying to help out anybody else !! And I mounted my amp and power cap on to apiece of wood, and then mounted it to the back of the rear seats where you are talking about ... It's real easy o run the wires but it's kinda a ***** to drill the holes, and then it's even harder to adjust the settings on the amp....But I wouldnt mount it anywhere else....Hope that helps
Old 07-25-2002, 07:21 PM

I had my amps put on a board angled behind the rear seat. Looks real clean when the seats are down... http://www.geocities.com/dinograz2/maximastereo.html
Old 07-25-2002, 09:52 PM
I'm so hood

And I mounted my amp and power cap on to apiece of wood, and then mounted it to the back of the rear seats where you are talking about ... It's real easy o run the wires but it's kinda a ***** to drill the holes, and then it's even harder to adjust the settings on the amp....But I wouldnt mount it anywhere else....Hope that helps
OK, that's a little more encouraging. I got frustrated after going outside with a cardboard template today and exploring a bit more. It seems the only two areas that I'd be able to flat-mount the amp on the floor itself would be back in one of the rear corners, or back just behind the rear seats in the little "flat" spot before the spare well. But in both locations it looks like there may be things under the trunk floor that I'd have to worry about drilling-wise. Eric, whom I cited the pic from earlier in this thread, said he didn't have any probs drilling right behind the rear seats on the floor. There's a bit of room to drill I guess, but it's not really a flat spot. So I'd have to find some way to make it more level.

SilverMax98 - did you just drill your board into that grey, plastic piece right behind the rear seats? I'm hoping to get the power/ground terminals as close to the trunk floor as possible so the 4ga wiring isn't bending much near the terminals, etc.

Arg. This trunk with the factory floor piece is frustrating. Thanks for all the help guys. BTW, don, I wish I woulda known you had the 500/1s available and at that price. The warranty is with the eBay store, so I'm not pumped about that (who knows if they'll even be around for another year?), but I'll take care of any problems in the end. As long as I get this project finished and stable for a while, I'm happy
Old 07-25-2002, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma

OK, that's a little more encouraging. I got frustrated after going outside with a cardboard template today and exploring a bit more. It seems the only two areas that I'd be able to flat-mount the amp on the floor itself would be back in one of the rear corners, or back just behind the rear seats in the little "flat" spot before the spare well. But in both locations it looks like there may be things under the trunk floor that I'd have to worry about drilling-wise. Eric, whom I cited the pic from earlier in this thread, said he didn't have any probs drilling right behind the rear seats on the floor. There's a bit of room to drill I guess, but it's not really a flat spot. So I'd have to find some way to make it more level.

SilverMax98 - did you just drill your board into that grey, plastic piece right behind the rear seats? I'm hoping to get the power/ground terminals as close to the trunk floor as possible so the 4ga wiring isn't bending much near the terminals, etc.

Arg. This trunk with the factory floor piece is frustrating. Thanks for all the help guys. BTW, don, I wish I woulda known you had the 500/1s available and at that price. The warranty is with the eBay store, so I'm not pumped about that (who knows if they'll even be around for another year?), but I'll take care of any problems in the end. As long as I get this project finished and stable for a while, I'm happy
Not a problem, as long as you got what you want now, is what matters. BUT if you do ever need anything dont hesitate to ask!!
Old 07-26-2002, 06:35 AM
RussMaxManiac

I just got my JL 500/1 off ebay, $275 for only being slightly used!

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Wow off Ebay? I dont want to be the bad guy here, but all their products are traced through serial numbers, so if a problem JL knows where it came from. This is where the warranty part gets tricky. Them finding out it was an online sale= NO warranty. I wish I woulda caught ya before you ordered it. $400 shipped easily. I do not sell JL on Ebay or any other sites because of the warranty issues. I have been able to get away with it on the forums because Org members are my "friends". Thats all JL needs to know. So despite the fact that I am shipping it somewhere , it is to someone that I know. Not just an online retail site.

--Don