Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

audio system

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 04:02 AM

audio system

My cousin recently got the guy she is dating a new sound sysytem for his car. Anyway so that got me the itch to modify my system. Any suggestions on which head unit to get and which brand speakers. Something base would sound great coming out of and can take the abuse...I like my music kinda loud
Thanks!!
Old 07-26-2002, 07:01 AM

Re: audio system

Originally posted by honeyface
My cousin recently got the guy she is dating a new sound sysytem for his car. Anyway so that got me the itch to modify my system. Any suggestions on which head unit to get and which brand speakers. Something base would sound great coming out of and can take the abuse...I like my music kinda loud
Thanks!!
speakers and heads have to be a personal choice...especially speakers..you have to listen to what "you" like..can give suggestions, but you or your ears have to decide on speakers...
as for heads, once in a certain bracket, they are pretty much the same...just find a head that has features you need now and or in the future...like 4v output or better...high signal to noise rating on the cd section, possible crossover capability...maybe even eq options..head mfgr's all pretty much are budget oriented..they all have lines for every install...budget...moderate..and "top dog"...their are a few exceptions like eclipse,denon, and nak,..well nak even has different levels too...
as for brands go...speaker wise, a/d/s,focal,mbquart,jl,cdt,boston,crystal,dynaudio(exp ensive though)image dynamics,avi,diamond...all make good speakers but it really boils down to your taste..
heads alpine eclipse kenwood clarion pioneer premier pioneer sony all make good heads for different budget
Old 07-26-2002, 09:49 AM

Re: Re: audio system

thank you for the quick reply. I was looking at kenwood for the head unit (i want something that allows XM radio..aas for speakers I haven't looked into thme yet. you are right on personal taste...i just wanted some feedback on what others have and how much they like their sound quality. thanks alot once agin for your input. it's highly appreciated
Old 07-26-2002, 11:53 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Re: Re: audio system

thank you for the quick reply. I was looking at kenwood for the head unit (i want something that allows XM radio..aas for speakers I haven't looked into thme yet. you are right on personal taste...i just wanted some feedback on what others have and how much they like their sound quality. thanks alot once agin for your input. it's highly appreciated
Keep in mind if you are looking at a Kenwood, it does NOT connect to XM radio. It does however connect directly to Sirius, similiar setup but alot different in the places where you will get a signal.

--Don

BTW if you decide on something you like, feel free to shoot me an Email, I can probably help on the price.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: audio system

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Keep in mind if you are looking at a Kenwood, it does NOT connect to XM radio. It does however connect directly to Sirius, similiar setup but alot different in the places where you will get a signal.

--Don

BTW if you decide on something you like, feel free to shoot me an Email, I can probably help on the price.
Thanks..I got mixed up on the sirius and XM connection. If you had the experience with either XM and/or sirius...which one do you recommend and is it worth it? Tanks again!
Old 07-26-2002, 11:42 PM

if you're looking for components, i'd suggest pretty much anything, infinity has loud treble, and goes well with matching subs, that's what i have in my car

Wind
Old 07-27-2002, 06:45 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: audio system

Thanks..I got mixed up on the sirius and XM connection. If you had the experience with either XM and/or sirius...which one do you recommend and is it worth it? Tanks again!
Ive experienced both, Of the two I wouls say hands down XM is better. Worth it? thats more of opinion. If you enjoy the radio alot now then yea its worth it, but if you listen mostly to CDs then no. It is very good quality music, and hardly any interuptions, but at $10 a month, its up to you.

--Don