Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where did you guys Run Your wires to you amplifier

Old 07-31-2002, 04:23 PM

Where did you guys Run Your wires to you amplifier

For anyone who has added an external amplifier to there bose system where did you run the 12 volt positive wire(How did you get it from the trunk to the battery?)

Also what did you run the switched (rem) wire to?
Old 07-31-2002, 05:19 PM

I drilled a hole just big enough for the 8 gauge wife through the firewall in front of the drivers side.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Virus
I drilled a hole just big enough for the 8 gauge wife through the firewall in front of the drivers side.
What about the pathway to the trunk? Under the carpet, down the center, and then where?
Old 07-31-2002, 06:15 PM

Re: Where did you guys Run Your wires to you amplifier

Originally posted by DJLAX152
For anyone who has added an external amplifier to there bose system where did you run the 12 volt positive wire(How did you get it from the trunk to the battery?)

Lift up the plastic "step panels" on the driver's side and run the wiring underneath the carpet, along with the other factory wiring of the car. Then feed to the corner of the back seat thru the trunk. You can feed the wire thru the firewall just above the driver's kick panel. I believe there is a spot for this. Just drill your hole there and install a rubber grommet, so that the edges are protected from cutting your wire(s).
Old 08-01-2002, 02:47 AM

Yep, I did the same.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yep, I did the same.
Thanks guys... that helps out a lot.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:14 PM

Re: Re: Where did you guys Run Your wires to you amplifier

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
Lift up the plastic "step panels" on the driver's side and run the wiring underneath the carpet, along with the other factory wiring of the car. Then feed to the corner of the back seat thru the trunk. You can feed the wire thru the firewall just above the driver's kick panel. I believe there is a spot for this. Just drill your hole there and install a rubber grommet, so that the edges are protected from cutting your wire(s).
So what about the switched (rem) wire what did you guys wire that to?
Old 08-02-2002, 03:27 PM
Sin

There is no need. There is already a hole about 3/4"-1" in diameter near the middle, that basically comes through behind the dash. Just lie down in footwell, look up, and you'll find a rubber seal. On the other side in the engine bay, you'll find just a hole. It's actually two holes in two pieces of sheet metal.

Just a suggestion. No need to punch holes in the firewall if there are already some.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Sin

Re: Where did you guys Run Your wires to you amplifier

Originally posted by DJLAX152

If you plan on running the interior speakers off an amp in the trunk in the future, I highly recommend the following, which is what I did just about a week ago.

Run the power line from the battery through an existing hole in the firewall (read my other post for a description of where it is). Then run it to behind/under the centre console, then under the carpet between the back of the centre console , and the back seats, under the back seat, between the sheet metal bottom and the sheet metal backing of the rear seats. This keeps the wire as short as possible. It also allows separation of the power lines from the speaker lines. That just prevents unnecessary noise in the system. With the power lines running up the spine of the car, you can now run the speaker wires down the sides of the car as others have described.

And about the remote line, I just ran it from the centre console, basically like the power line description, except instead of running it to the battery, run it to the deck.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:33 PM

Actually, if your planning to run RCA cables to the trunk also, it helps to buy a good set that already has a wire attached to it. This can be used as your remote turn-on. It saves you from running extra wire to the trunk. As far as any noise possibly entering your system, it is best to run your power cable down the same side as where your battery is located (driver's side in this case), and run your signal wire (RCA's and speaker wire) along the opposite side of the car. For the power, length does not matter. But for ground, yes it does matter. Just make sure your grounding points are short as possible. This way, you can avoid any noise. Also, have the wire 10 gauge or less and you'll be fine!