Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need 4-channel amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 09:22 PM

Need 4-channel amp

To power my kappas. Anyone selling theirs?
Old 08-02-2002, 10:13 PM
jmax

What kind of power are you looking for and where are you located?

Old 08-02-2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by jmax
What kind of power are you looking for and where are you located?
well..Infinity Kappas are rated at 90w rms and 270w max, so that means I have to use smthg in that range. Another thing is my budget..while I realize there are many high-end amps, those are not for my $$. My location is Baltimore, MD.

btw jmax, how far is that beer meet from B-more? If you have smthg good for sale, I could pick it up as early as tomorrow..
Old 08-02-2002, 10:52 PM
jmax

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

well..Infinity Kappas are rated at 90w rms and 270w max, so that means I have to use smthg in that range. Another thing is my budget..while I realize there are many high-end amps, those are not for my $$. My location is Baltimore, MD.

btw jmax, how far is that beer meet from B-more? If you have smthg good for sale, I could pick it up as early as tomorrow..
From Baltimore it really depends on where you are reference 695. It would be out route 7, and down route 28. Only a few miles before you hit Waxpool, then the third light on the right. The second light doesn't even have an option to turn right. Up the hill turn right, then follow the circle around. There are numerous signs posted so you should know when to turn. If you don't see the signs, you will see a lot of cars in spaces where they would not normally be on a Saturday. I parked at least 100 yards away tonight, or last night.

The only one I would consider ready for sale is my MTX 4320. 75 X 4 at 4 ohms, actually, I have the birth sheet somewhere. It's providing my MD 12.8 with about 560 watts right now. If you are interested, send an email. j_grieve33@hotmail.com That will make it easier to unhook tomorrow. Plus, I could bring the birth sheet.

But I was wondering what kind of crossover you would need? The MTX doesn't have tremendous flexibility. That's why it is powering a sub in my system instead of components. That is also why it could be sold, the money could be used toward a more expensive amplifier.

Old 08-03-2002, 06:35 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

If that amp deal doesnt work out for you shoot me an email, I should be able to help you. JUst let me know the budget you want to be in.

Go for Jmax's deal first though.

--Don
Old 08-03-2002, 07:44 AM

The only one I would consider ready for sale is my MTX 4320. 75 X 4 at 4 ohms, actually, I have the birth sheet somewhere. It's providing my MD 12.8 with about 560 watts right now. If you are interested, send an email. j_grieve33@hotmail.com That will make it easier to unhook tomorrow. Plus, I could bring the birth sheet.

But I was wondering what kind of crossover you would need? The MTX doesn't have tremendous flexibility. That's why it is powering a sub in my system instead of components. That is also why it could be sold, the money could be used toward a more expensive amplifier.

my Kappas come with x-overs, but nore sure on the power side. Kappas are 90w rms so I have to get an amp that would provide with power not less than that or I blow my speakers.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:50 AM
Administrator

you put 90 watts RMS to kappas and they odn't distort and i will eat my shirt
Old 08-03-2002, 08:42 AM
jmax

Originally posted by SprintMax
you put 90 watts RMS to kappas and they odn't distort and i will eat my shirt

Unless it's the 90 watts you get from a pyramid, or any of the low tier mass marketed amps. Generally those amps say 75X4, but it's max power. You could probably use 300 watts RMS from a good amp, but you would be unable to turn it up past 1. The voice coils on infinity's just aren't very big. Unless they have made a major change recently. But on with what the 4320 has to offer, 68 watts X 4 with 12.5 input volts, at 2 ohms it jumps to 123 watts X 4. Use decent power and ground wire and you should have at least 13.8 - 14.4 volts at the amp with the engine running.

If you don't use the high pass crossover, you will surely blow the infinity's in short time. This amp is plenty powerful enough to run components, or a single or pair of subs.

Old 08-03-2002, 08:52 AM
Administrator

i have 130 watts RMS going to my rear speakers and 120 RMS going to my front
Old 08-03-2002, 09:10 AM
jmax

i have 130 watts RMS going to my rear speakers and 120 RMS going to my front
What does that have to do with anything? He wasn't asking how much power we have running in our cars. He is looking for a deal on a used amp.

Old 08-03-2002, 09:47 AM

no need to flame on here guys. As I said, I dont know much about this, whether Infinity's voice coils require me to purchase some kind of special amp or not. What I think I need to do is to see whats out there and ask questions before I buy.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:23 AM
Administrator

What does that have to do with anything? He wasn't asking how much power we have running in our cars. He is looking for a deal on a used amp.
i was responding to your comment
Old 08-03-2002, 04:28 PM
jmax

i was responding to your comment
My comment advised the output of a 4 channel amp that I have that I could sell. In case he were interested. Your comment indicated a power level that you have in your car. As I said, what we are running in our cars is irrelevant if we are not selling it. I don't think you could find a better, more powerful or more reliable amp for less than $350 new, unless you get it minus warranty. If you are going to get something new without a warranty, you may as well get used for half the price.

Infinity's voice coils do not require a special amplifier. I just meant that unless they are using something larger than the standard 1" infinity midrange voice coil, they won't handle 90 watts well.

Old 08-03-2002, 07:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jmax
I don't think you could find a better, more powerful or more reliable amp for less than $350 new, unless you get it minus warranty. If you are going to get something new without a warranty, you may as well get used for half the price. [/QUOTE

you are right, brand-name 4 channel amps begin at 350, but there are plenty of Pyramids for 50 bux (!) that offer 100x4...thats why I posted here in hopes someone is selling a used name-brand amp with a power rating I need, with savings to me..to hell w/wtty
Old 08-03-2002, 09:29 PM

I have a 2,3,4 channel Alpine (with built-in crossovers for bridging) for sale if you are interested. The RMS power ratings are as follows:

2 channel--2 x 100/channel
3 channel--2 x 35/channel (high pass) plus 1 x 100 mono (low pass)
4 channel--4 x 35/channel (front and rear)

All above ratings are considered in 4 ohms. Amp will also handle 2 ohms stable. Please e-mail me if interested.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:00 PM

Guys let me make an amendment to my original post here. I am looking for a 4 channel amp with a LEAST rating of 90 rms per channel. Thanx.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:44 AM

Guys let me make an amendment to my original post here. I am looking for a 4 channel amp with a LEAST rating of 90 rms per channel. Thanx.
Ok, u said the kappas say they are 90wrms and 1-sumthin peak. On most speakers what's listed as rms is the maximum wattage for the rms range. So the range for those speakers would be 2-90 , 8-90 watts or sumthing like that. So wouldn't u want an amp with wattage in that range instead of higher? Btw, I'm just goin off what u posted, i haven't checked the actual specs or anything ( u might want to do that tho' ).
Old 08-04-2002, 07:50 AM
jmax

You also need to clarify if you want an amp that is theoretically capable of 90 watts with 12.5 volts, or one that is capable of that ourput with 14.4 volts. It makes a big difference. And there are vey few amps on the market with high power in four channel mode. In fact very few are more powerful than my MTX.

In the entire crutchfield catolog there is one amp which boasts more power. The RF 750X, 93.75 watts X 4 channels. But that amps input power is lower than the input capability of my MTX. What I mean is that MTX safely put 70 amps worth of fusing on the input of my amp, the newer models use 75 amps. The RF amp uses 60 amps of fuseing. So they are makeing power out of thin air. Nobody can explain where it comes from. This is why I can't buy amps like RF. No truth in advertising. Just mass marketing.

If you really want that much power look towards amps like the ARC 4150. Which can put out just over 100 watts to 4 channels at 4 ohms with 14.4 volts. It is a true bad-*** amp, the one I hope to replace my Alpine with. It is the reason for my MTX being for sale.

*** Interesting, I didn't realize that human anatomy was a no-no on the forum. This culture really needs to start realizing the difference between politically correct, and correct.

Old 08-04-2002, 09:18 AM

ok, Infinity Kappas...rated 90w rms, 270w max power...
Old 08-04-2002, 09:39 AM
jmax

ok, Infinity Kappas...rated 90w rms, 270w max power...
Okay, so infinity boasts 90 wrms. But that doesn't mean that they won't reach xmax or their thermal limit with say - 30 wrms. It doesn't take a lot of power to push a mid and tweet to their mechanical limit. You heard my recommendation for a full 90 wrms, and you heard my recommendation for slightly less. If you think you'll hear a difference with 20-30 additional wrms, get the $900 amp. Otherwise, I will gladly put your money aside until I can afford the $900 amp.

Old 08-04-2002, 10:33 AM

Okay, so infinity boasts 90 wrms. But that doesn't mean that they won't reach xmax or their thermal limit with say - 30 wrms. It doesn't take a lot of power to push a mid and tweet to their mechanical limit. You heard my recommendation for a full 90 wrms, and you heard my recommendation for slightly less. If you think you'll hear a difference with 20-30 additional wrms, get the $900 amp. Otherwise, I will gladly put your money aside until I can afford the $900 amp.

I pesonally want to run them without any external amp, but I'm getting some mixed opinions here...a bit confused. Need to talk to the install guy.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:01 AM
jmax

I pesonally want to run them without any external amp, but I'm getting some mixed opinions here...a bit confused. Need to talk to the install guy.
A lot of headunits boast high power, but they are generally rated at 10% THD. That's where damage to speakers becomes very likely. Most quality power amps will develop their rated power at a fraction of a percetage of THD. THD + N for the MTX I have is <= 0.015 % at 4 ohms stereo. At 2 ohms stereo THD + N goes up to 0.019 %

Old 08-04-2002, 04:58 PM

That's a lot of power. I used to have an Orion Xtreme 800.4 which was rated at 100 RMS x 4 at 4 ohms. Great amp.