Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

adding a bazooka tube to existing factory sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 10:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

adding a bazooka tube to existing factory sound

Was wondering if anyone added a bazooka tube to their existing factory sound system before. I have a 98 maxima gxe with the factory headunit (no bose). I am thinking of getting a amplified bazooka tube to liven things with a low budget. But the tube needs RCA inputs; im not sure if the factory headunit has the RCA so it sounds contradicting when they say the tube can be added to the factory sound. Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:54 PM

Re: adding a bazooka tube to existing factory sound

Originally posted by xoknight
Was wondering if anyone added a bazooka tube to their existing factory sound system before. I have a 98 maxima gxe with the factory headunit (no bose). I am thinking of getting a amplified bazooka tube to liven things with a low budget. But the tube needs RCA inputs; im not sure if the factory headunit has the RCA so it sounds contradicting when they say the tube can be added to the factory sound. Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Easy, the bazooka tube should come with a wiring harness, using T-tap from Radio Shack, just tap into the existing appropriate OEM wires in the trunk.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check page 3 of the 4th Gen FAQ's...
Old 08-06-2002, 12:23 AM

dont waste ur money on a bass tube
Old 08-06-2002, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by black019
dont waste ur money on a bass tube
Why not? Should I get a big box that takes up half my trunk so I can't fit anything else inside my trunk?

The trunk is there so I can put things in, not so I have a space to cram with stereo equipment.

A bazooka was small, fairly inexpensive, portable and provided me with some extra bass.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:49 AM

I have a 10 inch bazooka amplified bass tube. I have the non-bose system, the tube adds a good amount of bass with out being overly intrusive. The install is very simple. I tapped into the rear speaker wires to the hi or lo inputs (don't remember it's been a while) on the tube. You do not have to use the RCA inputs. Tube has adjustment for power and cross-over. Takes 1 min to remove for more space in the trunk. If you like it louder, you can open the pass through/arm rest on back seat.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:45 AM
I'm so hood

From how the bazooka tubes sound, they're alright for the right person I guess (low budget, fairly small). Not everyone needs a sub in the trunk. Just remember that anything that's "easily portable" is also easily stolen - for some people this is more of a factor than others.

Why not? Should I get a big box that takes up half my trunk so I can't fit anything else inside my trunk?

The trunk is there so I can put things in, not so I have a space to cram with stereo equipment.
In response to making a point by citing an extreme example (my favorite), I have 1 12" in a 1 cu ft box that performs quite well. Granted, it's expensive, but it bumps as hard as/cleaner than a lot of normal 2-sub systems. Plus I can still pack golf clubs, groceries, and the like There's a system for everyone out there.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
From how the bazooka tubes sound, they're alright for the right person I guess (low budget, fairly small). Not everyone needs a sub in the trunk. Just remember that anything that's "easily portable" is also easily stolen - for some people this is more of a factor than others.

In response to making a point by citing an extreme example (my favorite), I have 1 12" in a 1 cu ft box that performs quite well. Granted, it's expensive, but it bumps as hard as/cleaner than a lot of normal 2-sub systems. Plus I can still pack golf clubs, groceries, and the like There's a system for everyone out there.
My post was mostly aimed at black019 who like the rest of the postwhores, posts some nonsense and have nothing to back it up with.

He posted something that had nothing to do with the question and offered a stupid answer.

I'm not big into audio systems, so the bazooka was perfect for me. It worked with my stock (non-bose) system and worked with my aftermarket headunit.

And I would have felt better (slighty) if my used $100 bazooka was stolen rather than a new several hundred dollar sub.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:57 AM

my friend has a bazooka bass tube, I HATE IT...it sounds like someone is hitting a tin can in your trunk...i am very disappointed in it...
Old 08-06-2002, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by ThumpinMaxima
my friend has a bazooka bass tube, I HATE IT...it sounds like someone is hitting a tin can in your trunk...i am very disappointed in it...

Really? My bazooka sounded fine.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:48 AM

I think the Bazooka style tubes are very sensitive to the particular application that they are used in. I remember a friend's RX-7 that had a bass tube style sub as part of his stock stereo. It sounded pretty good. The fact that the system was specifically designed for the car helped along with the minimal cabin space.

I also remember another friend's Mitsu. Montero that had a complete aftermarket system (including a Bazooka tube) installed. His door speakers sounded great, but the bass that the tube put out was pretty dismal. It sounded a lot like what ThumpinMaxima describes...

Anyway, in most circumstances they are quick, cheap & easy bass 'fixes' at the expense of quality sound. I think (err...I hope at least but I'm sure Clee knows more than I) that this is what black019 was referring to in his original post.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for everyones input
my budget is quite limited right now so an all in one tube is the best choice for me now. getting a decent boost in sound is good enough for me.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:56 PM

Bass tube were made for hatchbacks. They were not designed for trunks. That is why people are not satisfied w/ them.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:23 PM

Ok,
Here's the answer nobody thought of, free-airs. I had a huge box with 4 10" subs in the trunk of my Sentra until my first kid came along. I still wanted lots of bass when I was in the mood but had to have room for strollers and all that crap. I bought two 12" JL Audio free-air subs and installed them between the trunk and the back seat. This method takes a lot of effort but not a lot of money. You have to seal the trunk as best as you can. Also make sure you buy good quality, name brand subs. Will they sound as good as a sealed or bandpass setup? No, but they'll sound good if you take the time and do it right and you get to have a trunk too. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by xoknight
thanks for everyones input
my budget is quite limited right now so an all in one tube is the best choice for me now. getting a decent boost in sound is good enough for me.
Just got the Infinity Basslink and it may be just what you need. Fills in the low end nicely although cannot hit extremely high SPL's or reach deep into the depths of visceral bass. It is fairly compact, inexpensive ($250), powered, with crossover, and a few hookup options.