Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help--New Head Unit won't power up

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 01:38 PM

Help--New Head Unit won't power up

Hello,

I just installed a new JVC sh707 in my car and it won't power up. No fuses are blown and I measured voltages. When I plug in harness, unit makes faint constant clicking sound and if I put on faceplate, the source light flashes read with the sound. I soldered connections and heatshrunk them.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Scott

Since my original post, I discovered 3V on the ground at the head unit. I traced it back to the interface between the factory harness and aftermarket harness. The black wire on the aftermarket harness corresponds to a blank space on factory harness--no ground! which wire on factory harness is ground?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2002, 03:33 PM

Re: Help--New Head Unit won't power up

Just ground the HU to some metal behind your dash. I just unscrewed one of the screws behind there and used that.

Originally posted by SEturner
Hello,

I just installed a new JVC sh707 in my car and it won't power up. No fuses are blown and I measured voltages. When I plug in harness, unit makes faint constant clicking sound and if I put on faceplate, the source light flashes read with the sound. I soldered connections and heatshrunk them.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Scott

Since my original post, I discovered 3V on the ground at the head unit. I traced it back to the interface between the factory harness and aftermarket harness. The black wire on the aftermarket harness corresponds to a blank space on factory harness--no ground! which wire on factory harness is ground?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2002, 12:12 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Help--New Head Unit won't power up

Originally posted by SEturner
Hello,

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks
There isnt one. Listen to what Gates said, this is the only way to do it. Unless ya do what them crackheads at Best buy and Circuit city do...they ground to the bolt on the back of the radio, when the antenna is connected it works as a "floating ground".

Please dont do that tho. I was being sarcastic.

--Don
Old 08-11-2002, 07:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Help--New Head Unit won't power up

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

There isnt one. Listen to what Gates said, this is the only way to do it. Unless ya do what them crackheads at Best buy and Circuit city do...they ground to the bolt on the back of the radio, when the antenna is connected it works as a "floating ground".

Please dont do that tho. I was being sarcastic.

--Don

Hey!...i take offense at that.... I dont do that it sucks when people do that..then it comes back with the stereo flickering or some ****...yes crackhead installers do that....I've made sure our team at dublin best buy does nothing but a top-notch job. We dont work on commission so we do take our time. bi00tch!..ahahah hmm whatever..ive head of crackhead stories tho..oh man...its embarrasing
Old 08-11-2002, 09:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Help--New Head Unit won't power up

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1

Hey!...i take offense at that.... I dont do that it sucks when people do that..then it comes back with the stereo flickering or some ****...yes crackhead installers do that....I've made sure our team at dublin best buy does nothing but a top-notch job. We dont work on commission so we do take our time. bi00tch!..ahahah hmm whatever..ive head of crackhead stories tho..oh man...its embarrasing
Wow. OK ummmm like some Best Buy and Circuit City stores....

--Don
Old 08-11-2002, 09:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help--New Head Unit won't power up

Wow. OK ummmm like some Best Buy and Circuit City stores....

--Don
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh i work at one! Best buy Dublin/Pleasanton california. LoL.punk...I feel we do a great job...I dunno about other stores...
Old 08-11-2002, 09:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help--New Head Unit won't power up

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh i work at one! Best buy Dublin/Pleasanton california. LoL.punk...I feel we do a great job...I dunno about other stores...

I know, I figured that from your earlier post, that why I changed it to "SOME".

--Don
Old 08-11-2002, 09:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help--New Head Unit won't power up

I know, I figured that from your earlier post, that why I changed it to "SOME".

--Don
Old 08-11-2002, 09:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help--New Head Unit won't power up