Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Audiobahn Subs

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 10:27 PM

Audiobahn Subs

Plain and simple, are they decent? are they better than type r's? or JL's?
Old 08-22-2002, 11:51 PM

Re: Audiobahn Subs

Originally posted by xsp00kyx
keep in mind that you get what you pay for. they chrome their stuff to make it sell...so no, i dont think theyre better than the type r's, or ANY jl...

what kind of budget do you have? maybe we can suggest something better for less dough.

if youre looking for budget, you could look into the elemental designs k series (which are on sale right now), or the adire audio shiva (a true workhorse, but no 'pretty' stuff).

eric
Old 08-23-2002, 12:09 AM
I miss the .org!

Well, like with any other brand, Audiobahn offers a line of stuff. If you go for their top of the line stuff, I think it should be pretty good. They've got subs with aluminum cones, and the move alot of air. The numbers may be a little inflated, but if you don't try to max them out, I'd think they're a pretty good value. Not the best, but not the worst either...
Old 08-23-2002, 10:03 AM
rilla dope

I have 2 Alum10s and they are seriously tight speakers, very smooth, quick, and handle tons of power. You buy a JL and you are buying a sub and the name attached to it. Audiobahn makes a huge array of subs and will have something you'll like. I'm buying 2 new Alum10x in a few weeks for the Max, the price and peformance makes the Eclpise titaniums look like pure crap.

That's my opinion. I've owned JLs, Earthquakes, Orions, and Kappa Perfects besides the Audiobahns. The ones I have are great for speed and sound Q.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:22 AM

my budget would be around $300 and i saw a pair of 12's type r's on ebay for around 250 so taht could be a good bargain. those subs are good for anything right? speeding sound q? i want people to hear me from like 5 blocks down haha
Old 08-23-2002, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by releasedtruth
speed and sound Q.
speed? what does that have to do with anything? btw, its a proven fact that 15's have to move 'faster' than 10s to put out sound (cuz they go a lot lower), and the lower they go, the faster they move

eric
Old 08-23-2002, 11:08 AM

my budget would be around $300 and i saw a pair of 12's type r's on ebay for around 250 so taht could be a good bargain. those subs are good for anything right? speeding sound q? i want people to hear me from like 5 blocks down haha
i highly suggest buying alpine stuff from a "real" dealer instead of ebay or an internet dealer, cuz you wont get a true warranty. ive seen sooo many people get ripped buying on the net, that i refuse to buy that way, even if it costs 1.5x as much to buy them retail, cuz if something happens, the ones with a warranty will cost less to replace than the ones you got a "deal" on. just ask don or dave about this.

eric
Old 08-23-2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by nismo240sx

speed? what does that have to do with anything? btw, its a proven fact that 15's have to move 'faster' than 10s to put out sound (cuz they go a lot lower), and the lower they go, the faster they move

eric
Yeah but they'd have to move 3 times the speed of the 10's in order to be "faster" yes they do move faster than the 10 because they have a longer distance to travel but they dont make thier "cycle" faster than the tens. That is why the smaller the spaeker the more acurate it is. Simple physics. you wouldnt thry and make a 10 inch driver move at the speed of a tweeter would ya?? The frequncy of the signal is a direct correlation to how many times that driver is going to move in a given point in timeto recreate that signal.
Old 08-23-2002, 11:37 AM

why dont more ppl use 10 and 8 inch sub woofers then...people go 12 15 and 18 for loudness??? but wouldnt like 6 8's hit harder than like a 15 or 2 15s? since it is moving faster and all!?
Old 08-23-2002, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by dat_nomad

Yeah but they'd have to move 3 times the speed of the 10's in order to be "faster"

where do you get this? isnt faster still faster?

yes they do move faster than the 10 because they have a longer distance to travel but they dont make thier "cycle" faster than the tens. That is why the smaller the spaeker the more acurate it is.

i have to disagree on the accuracy. i dont know how familiar with driver design you are, but a speaker has something called Bl. in a conventional design (ie NOT servo, or adire xbl2), the Bl is at its peak when it is not moving. the Bl represents the amount of control the motor has over the moving parts. as the speaker moves, the Bl product drops, and the point at which the control is at 70% of its peak is where 'one-way xmax' is reached (the Bl measurement is a curve, which usually resembles a parabola). the problem is that a single 10" must move farther in order to displace the same amount of air, so therefore, the motor of the 15" driver will have more control over its cone for a given output level than the 10" driver would (this is assuming identical motors are used--which is usually the case)

Simple physics. you wouldnt thry and make a 10 inch driver move at the speed of a tweeter would ya?? The frequncy of the signal is a direct correlation to how many times that driver is going to move in a given point in timeto recreate that signal.
the only reason that they usually dont run the frequency of subwoofers very high is due to inductance...which causes a speaker to sound sloppy as it gets higher in frequency. the brahma 12" subwoofer (with xbl2) can be run to 10,000 hz without sounding sloppy due to a VERY low inductance. so again, its not the size, its other factors that affect the sound.

eric
Old 08-23-2002, 12:37 PM

wow eric, thanks for clearing things up can always count on the vets of the site to clear things up
Old 08-23-2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by ThumpinMaxima
wow eric, thanks for clearing things up can always count on the vets of the site to clear things up
ive been in the audio scene since 94, and ive learned more in the last 9 months about design than i learned in the whole time prior to that. i have to credit the guys from adire audio, cuz both the president and the head engineer have explained all this stuff to me more than once (it took me a while to catch on ).

eric
Old 08-23-2002, 01:46 PM

where do you get this? isnt faster still faster?

[/b]

i have to disagree on the accuracy. i dont know how familiar with driver design you are, but a speaker has something called Bl. in a conventional design (ie NOT servo, or adire xbl2), the Bl is at its peak when it is not moving. the Bl represents the amount of control the motor has over the moving parts. as the speaker moves, the Bl product drops, and the point at which the control is at 70% of its peak is where 'one-way xmax' is reached (the Bl measurement is a curve, which usually resembles a parabola). the problem is that a single 10" must move farther in order to displace the same amount of air, so therefore, the motor of the 15" driver will have more control over its cone for a given output level than the 10" driver would (this is assuming identical motors are used--which is usually the case)

the only reason that they usually dont run the frequency of subwoofers very high is due to inductance...which causes a speaker to sound sloppy as it gets higher in frequency. the brahma 12" subwoofer (with xbl2) can be run to 10,000 hz without sounding sloppy due to a VERY low inductance. so again, its not the size, its other factors that affect the sound.

eric [/B]
You assume I a base this on the same amount of air displacement wich is next to impossible to achieve with equal products in different sizes. A 10 inch driver made by the same manufacturer with the same materials and specs as a 15 inch driver will move quicker than a 15 inch driver thusmore accuracy. The 15 will however displace more air delivering the gut wrenching boom youre looking for in woofers. i don't expect a 10 inch driver to displace as much air as 12 or 15 inch drivers but it will move through it's motions quicker at the low to lowermid ranges. P.S. don't assume I'm a rookie
Old 08-23-2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by ThumpinMaxima
why dont more ppl use 10 and 8 inch sub woofers then...people go 12 15 and 18 for loudness??? but wouldnt like 6 8's hit harder than like a 15 or 2 15s? since it is moving faster and all!?
Peeople usually go 12 & 15 because they are able to move more air which is essential in lower frequncies. Or some people think they just look cooler
Old 08-23-2002, 01:52 PM

Peeople usually go 12 & 15 because they are able to move more air which is essential in lower frequncies. Or some people think they just look cooler I personally live and die by 10 inch drivers (ocaisionally a 12 inthe mix, but then again I dont go for SPL either.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:54 PM

You assume I a base this on the same amount of air displacement wich is next to impossible to achieve with equal products in different sizes. A 10 inch driver made by the same manufacturer with the same materials and specs as a 15 inch driver will move quicker than a 15 inch driver thusmore accuracy. The 15 will however displace more air delivering the gut wrenching boom youre looking for in woofers. i don't expect a 10 inch driver to displace as much air as 12 or 15 inch drivers but it will move through it's motions quicker at the lowermid ranges. P.S. don't assume I'm a rookie
Old 08-23-2002, 02:02 PM
rilla dope

I've noticed that Eric loves to fight about audio. Your answers are by no means gospel and even if you've been in the "scene" since 94, it matters not. That would have made you a robust 14 years old at the time and not even old enough to have a car. While your responses are appreciated to be sure, they are by no means nearly as professional and accurate as you would have people believe.

Just chill and save the coming retort for someone else.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by releasedtruth
I've noticed that Eric loves to fight about audio. Your answers are by no means gospel and even if you've been in the "scene" since 94, it matters not. That would have made you a robust 14 years old at the time and not even old enough to have a car. While your responses are appreciated to be sure, they are by no means nearly as professional and accurate as you would have people believe.

Just chill and save the coming retort for someone else.
i never claimed to be a pro...i just invest a lot of my time into learning about how all things audio, and auto work. the points that i made are something that i have picked up from people who have multiple doctorates in physics, ee, audio engineering, etc.

btw--im 20 now, so that would have made me 12 when i started

You assume I a base this on the same amount of air displacement wich is next to impossible to achieve with equal products in different sizes. A 10 inch driver made by the same manufacturer with the same materials and specs as a 15 inch driver will move quicker than a 15 inch driver thusmore accuracy. The 15 will however displace more air delivering the gut wrenching boom youre looking for in woofers. i don't expect a 10 inch driver to displace as much air as 12 or 15 inch drivers but it will move through it's motions quicker at the low to lowermid ranges. P.S. don't assume I'm a rookie
im not assuming youre a rookie...or at least that wasnt my intent if i came across as such. i saw something i disagreed with, and stated my point, and if i came across as snotty, or anything else, i am sincerely sorry. i will be the first one to tell you i have a lot to learn.

as for which moves faster...i will not concede that fact, as i have learned that as you 1/2 the frequency (40 to 20hz), the cone must move 2x as far, and i believe 1/2 the time...meaning that it moves 4x as fast. i dont remember if my thinking is correct, but i assure you that the end result is correct. that logic is directly from dr. david hyre of adire audio.

eric

*edit* regardless of what is said now, i will not be saying any more, unless my opinion is asked for. laterz.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:08 PM

Re: Audiobahn Subs

Audiobahn is definately decent, especially for the price. You must get the right lines though, if you get one of those pre-fab bandpass boxes that look nice, you won't be satisfied. I have a single Audiobahn AW1200x sub (this year's model number is the 1200Q) and I have been impressed with this sub. The 1200Q can be had for around $100 a 12. Cheaper than Alpine or JL.

What are you looking for in a sub? Do you want it to get loud? Sound good? From my experience, the Alpines and JLs will sound better than my Audiobahn (IMO not a HUGE difference though), but the Audiobahn will take more power. If you go Audiobahn, I would say that you HAVE to port your box. I was running mine sealed for abit and switched to a vented box and it got a lot louder while not losing any SQ. If you are going sealed JL or Alpine would probably be better. If you have a smaller amount of power JL or Alpine would probably be better. If you are willing to get or build a good ported box and have a lot of power, theres no doubt in my mind that you'd be satisfied with a 1200Q. If you get 2 1200Qs and give them about 1000 watts that would be awesome.

I have abused my 1200x for the past two years and it has yet to fail on me. I've given it 400+ watts from an Orion 800.2, ~500 watts from a RF 800.2, and recently close to 700 watts from a JBL 1200.1. There are some people who don't like Audiobahn, because of some of their lower lines. They have some pre-fab bandpass boxes with some weaker 12s and those are pretty crappy. If you give them their rated power they will most likely blow. If you hear someone bad mouth Audiobahn make sure they know what models they are talking about.

If you have $300 and want to get the loudest, you can buy two 15" Adire Tempests for $300 shipped. Those will get extremely loud and sound great at the same time. If you want 12s you can get two Shivas for $250 shipped. If you want a name brand look at JLw3 or Kicker Comp VR.

Old 08-23-2002, 06:33 PM

i never claimed to be a pro...i just invest a lot of my time into learning about how all things audio, and auto work. the points that i made are something that i have picked up from people who have multiple doctorates in physics, ee, audio engineering, etc.

btw--im 20 now, so that would have made me 12 when i started

im not assuming youre a rookie...or at least that wasnt my intent if i came across as such. i saw something i disagreed with, and stated my point, and if i came across as snotty, or anything else, i am sincerely sorry. i will be the first one to tell you i have a lot to learn.

as for which moves faster...i will not concede that fact, as i have learned that as you 1/2 the frequency (40 to 20hz), the cone must move 2x as far, and i believe 1/2 the time...meaning that it moves 4x as fast. i dont remember if my thinking is correct, but i assure you that the end result is correct. that logic is directly from dr. david hyre of adire audio.

eric

*edit* regardless of what is said now, i will not be saying any more, unless my opinion is asked for. laterz.
Actually your rebutle was merited for clarification and not the pourpose of my "not a rookie response". That was for the little birdie that made the vet comment. i have no problem with debating an issue that has been going on as long as I've been in audio. and I'm 26 BTW
Old 08-23-2002, 07:26 PM

eric...i think u needa hug