Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Cell Phone Charging

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 06:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cell Phone Charging

I just got a Samsung R225M cell phone. I'd like to know how you people charge your phones in the car. Anybody install an additional cig lighter? Or hardwire the charger? I'm looking for ideas. Thanx!
Jae
Old 09-25-2002, 10:07 AM

Just plugged it in when I needed it and then put it away. I have a charger in the house so I just mainly use that one.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:14 AM

I just got a Samsung R225M cell phone
T-Mobile, eh? My place of employment! I have used that phone...all you have to do is use a cig plug. You can leave it plugged in, cause when you turn the car off, it automatically cuts the power off to the charger. You should get about over 2 days standby and about 2 hours talk-time. It's a pretty good phone. Don't waste your time hardwiring, cause the R225 uses a different charger than any other Samsung phone.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:18 AM

What I would like to do is rewire my cars existing power socket to keep power even when the car is off so if my battery goes dead away from home I can let the battery charge even when the car is off. I am sure this would be an extremely simple procedure right?

Alec
Old 09-25-2002, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by kaniksu
What I would like to do is rewire my cars existing power socket to keep power even when the car is off so if my battery goes dead away from home I can let the battery charge even when the car is off. I am sure this would be an extremely simple procedure right?

Alec
Well, since when you turn the engine off, it pretty much kills the power to the whole car (I could be wrong), I think your only option woulh be to do some kind of wiring from the car alarm, since it stays on, to the cig plug. How and if that is even possible, I don't know.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:22 PM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by MaximusMax

Well, since when you turn the engine off, it pretty much kills the power to the whole car (I could be wrong), I think your only option woulh be to do some kind of wiring from the car alarm, since it stays on, to the cig plug. How and if that is even possible, I don't know.
I would think you could just run a hot wire from the battery, fuse it, run a ground, and have a switch on the hot wire. I'm not sure that you would even need a switch b/c I don't think ciggarette lighters complete their circuit flow unless they have something plugged into them (i.e.; lighter, phone, cd player, etc.). I bet the guys in our audio forum would know this stuff. If you don't have any luck here you could try moving this over there. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by MaximusMax
T-Mobile, eh? My place of employment!
hey, mind if i ask you an upgrade question about T-M/VS? I sent several messages through the online form and still haven't gotten a response
Old 09-25-2002, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by soundmike

hey, mind if i ask you an upgrade question about T-M/VS? I sent several messages through the online form and still haven't gotten a response
Yeah, what's up...PM me
Old 10-01-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Bluebird

I would think you could just run a hot wire from the battery, fuse it, run a ground, and have a switch on the hot wire. I'm not sure that you would even need a switch b/c I don't think ciggarette lighters complete their circuit flow unless they have something plugged into them (i.e.; lighter, phone, cd player, etc.). I bet the guys in our audio forum would know this stuff. If you don't have any luck here you could try moving this over there. Good luck.
That is true. Go to radio shack and get a cig lighter extension I think its called. Cut the end off, take out your center console, hard wire it to your car off a fused constant lineand put it in your center console. Plug your phone charger or whatever else you want in and have a nice day. Don't forget if you plug somethin in it's always got powere so try not to plug in something that has a high draw.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:48 PM

Well, I was wondering if someone hardwired the cig adaptor into the cup holder or the compartment under the radio. Right now, I'm not satisfied with a stringy cable dangling while I drive. Heehee. In fact, I'm so bothered by dangling bouncing stuff that I don't even use my Valentine 1 anymore...not till I hardwire it through the headliner/a-pillar/dash.

So far, if I only use the cell to send AIM, I can go 1.5 days before it completely dies. But my school is 40min from home so I charge both directions and haven't had a problem...it's just the dangling cable that bothers me.

Jae