Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What should I power my speakers with? (somewhat urgent)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 11:32 AM

What should I power my speakers with? (somewhat urgent)

Hey guys, I'm finally ditching the Bose system in my '96 GLE (I've been planning to for a while and slowly collecting components) and completely replacing it with an aftermarket setup. I'm going on a fairly long road trip in two weeks, though, and I want to get it all done before then. Problem is, I still haven't picked out amps for my subwoofers and speakers and since I'm going to be using a crappy head unit I'd rather not power the speakers that way. I've got Boston Acoustics RC620 components (which I think are friggin' great after testing them out in a friend's car) for up front and some cheaper Alpines for the back. Problem is, the RC620s need a fairly powerful and clean amp to produce really good sound... but I don't have a huge budget for an amp.

What would you guys recommend for a good compromise between quality and price for an amp to power them? Also, I'm getting a seperate amp for my subwoofer - any recommendations on what to get for that?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate any advice.