Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Engineering project... computer w/ LCD... help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:35 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Engineering project... computer w/ LCD... help!

Hi guys, i was looking for the cheapest possible LCD screen... actually its for a engineering final project that i was able to talk my teacher into giving me and he even offered me extra credit if i do a clean enough job. Basically, I'm going to be integrating a computer into the car and w/ it an LCD screen to view dvds, mpg, whatever... and somehow hookup the computer audio to the bose.

What do you guys thinK? it sounds pretty absurd of course but i'm gonna make this **** work. I've already got the computer and all... biggest thing missing is the LCD. I see a whole lot of Legacy 5.6" LCDs for about $80 bucks on EBAY... does anyone have any experience w/ them?? Honestly, i haven't bought anything off of ebay so i'm a little nervous about buying it from there... but ill do it if i have to and if u guys suggest it.

Also, anyone have any ideas for the audio? I was thinking of splicing in the audio wire from the computer to the headunit or something... what's the easiest way?? Thanks guys!
Old 10-16-2002, 11:56 PM

Re: Engineering project... computer w/ LCD... help!

Originally posted by nadir_s
Hi guys, i was looking for the cheapest possible LCD screen... actually its for a engineering final project that i was able to talk my teacher into giving me and he even offered me extra credit if i do a clean enough job. Basically, I'm going to be integrating a computer into the car and w/ it an LCD screen to view dvds, mpg, whatever... and somehow hookup the computer audio to the bose.

What do you guys thinK? it sounds pretty absurd of course but i'm gonna make this **** work. I've already got the computer and all... biggest thing missing is the LCD. I see a whole lot of Legacy 5.6" LCDs for about $80 bucks on EBAY... does anyone have any experience w/ them?? Honestly, i haven't bought anything off of ebay so i'm a little nervous about buying it from there... but ill do it if i have to and if u guys suggest it.

Also, anyone have any ideas for the audio? I was thinking of splicing in the audio wire from the computer to the headunit or something... what's the easiest way?? Thanks guys!
Are these LCD's and computer capable of running off 12-14V DC voltage? If so, I don't see any possible problems. As far as Ebay, you're safe just as long as the seller is honest in his/her descriptions. They are out there to make money too, so they want as many positive feedbacks they could get to stay on Ebay. If your uncertain about their product, you can e-mail them with whatever questions you may have.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:12 AM

Hey nadir_s, im doing pretty much the exact same thing in my buddys car as a show car being produced. After all work has been done, his computer is controlled by a mounted 15" touchscreen, controlling Winamp and a 80 gig HD for music, and DVD/VCD player drive to play on the auxilary screen mounted high on the dash (via pop out monitor with custom fabrication into dash), And AutoTap software to manage the LS1 Corvette motor going into his 88 Caprice Wagon . It can control anthing from A/f ratios, to idle settings.. anything.. Just hooks up through the ECU port.

Also, HVAC controls will be controlled via a VisualBasic created program (used by touchscreen). Stepper motors and actuator motors will be utilized on the existing HVAC control unit to control where air is directing in the fans (top fans or floor), hot/cold temps., and fan speeds (Via Parallel port programming... involves in depth study of how the HVAC unit works and how can spkies of voltage from the parallel port (5v) pins can control each motor to move the ***** and ducts inside the car)

Your idea is cloesly related, but MUCH easier. But i suggest using aftermarket HU's and speakers (For the reason that an audio input can be put into the HU, so you can switch to that input when ready, and then your whole in car speakers will work to whatever is happenein on the computer.. ex. playing movies, videos, MP3's, trippy Winamp renderers...) But your gonna have to get a TV card on your computer. (for RCA audio/video outputs)

Then when you want to play CDs, just swtich to CD source on the HU, and booya, theres your CD.. same deal for AM/FM.

Now to utilize the STOCK BOSE radio, that may be a bit tricky. Its gonna be hard doing that, but shoot me an e-mail at the360modena@rogers.com and we can discuss over MSN or ICQ..
Old 10-17-2002, 11:05 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

whoa that's hardcore infiti... just curious, how much $$ did u end up spending? I'm pressed for spending under $200 on the entire project. I've been able to get an older computer that i think has plenty enough resources to run winamp and a video program.. not sure which one tho.

I'll probably be using Win98SE because its alot more stable and starts up fast enough.

The mobo i got w/ the computer has built in audio and video card WITH TV-out so that was perfect for me. I was going to construct a thin tower to place it somewhere up front... i was hoping to keep the mobo in the trunk w/ a standard tower but IDE cables are limited to 18" and i can't afford at this time to get an external dvdrom (placing the dvd/cdrom up front).

Powering the system is a bit of a problem... I guess my only option was to go w/ the computer powersupply (i already have) and buy a in-car 12V power inverter?? Since the car runs on 12V-DC can i just connect the mobo directly? I'm afraid of power shortages...

The LCD screen i guess i will go for w/ the EBay ones that they are selling for $80 ("5-5.6")

As for peripherals, I was considering getting one of those compact keyboard that's wireless w/ a mouse.

Thanks for all your help guys, Inifinti, ill be sendin u an email!
Old 10-17-2002, 04:19 PM

Be very careful with the small LCD screens. They generally have inputs for a video signal, not the conventional DB15 subshell VGA connector. This means you can not exactly plug them into a PC. They're also too low of a res to be of much use.

Stereodude
Old 10-17-2002, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Stereodude
Be very careful with the small LCD screens. They generally have inputs for a video signal, not the conventional DB15 subshell VGA connector. This means you can not exactly plug them into a PC. They're also too low of a res to be of much use.

Stereodude
hey stereodude is there any adapter to connect a DB15 subshell VGA connector from a laptop lcd to a regular rca?
Old 10-17-2002, 11:00 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Stereodude

Stereodude
well, this mother board's video card comes w/ a built in TV-OUT port. I connect it to the LCD using one of those yellow cables.... kinda like the red/white (audio) and yellow( video) cables. The mobo's video card also has a built in S-Video out so i can even connect that too. I'm guessing it's the same because the video card is made for NTSC (is that it? opposite of PAL i kno) and conects to ure tv... so if it connects to the tv, why not lcd? I know what ur'e talkin about tho... i haven't head of any adapters for those. Thanksfor the advice tho, i will still look further into it and let u know how it works out.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Jedi Knight

Originally posted by nadir_s

well, this mother board's video card comes w/ a built in TV-OUT port. I connect it to the LCD using one of those yellow cables.... kinda like the red/white (audio) and yellow( video) cables. The mobo's video card also has a built in S-Video out so i can even connect that too. I'm guessing it's the same because the video card is made for NTSC (is that it? opposite of PAL i kno) and conects to ure tv... so if it connects to the tv, why not lcd? I know what ur'e talkin about tho... i haven't head of any adapters for those. Thanksfor the advice tho, i will still look further into it and let u know how it works out.
if you are still looking for a screen you can check www.partsexpress.com they definately have screens and they have great service and shipping!...very reasonable in price too!
Old 10-18-2002, 01:22 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/index.php

best place for this info
Old 10-18-2002, 05:33 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by max1ma97se

hey stereodude is there any adapter to connect a DB15 subshell VGA connector from a laptop lcd to a regular rca?

http://www.techdepot.com/product.asp...affid=10000181
Old 10-18-2002, 05:35 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by TimW
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/index.php

best place for this info

Thanks Tim and Nupe! I found alot of info from the links you guys sent me.

I heard that u can see crap on a 5" RCA LCD when u connect it to the computer... anyone had any experience w/ this? I was plannin on just playing dvds/vcds/mp3s-visualizations.