Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

which is better optima or stinger battery? Need help headlights are dim

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 08:03 AM

which is better optima or stinger battery? Need help headlights are dim

my headlights dim when i him my brakes and when my compressor for my airbags comes on....and when my stereo is on.....do i need an optima yellow top or would a stinger yellow top be better?
or is something wrong with my car that would cause the lights to dim.

thanks for the help
Old 11-26-2002, 08:06 AM

dont hear much about the stinger, i usually see the "bigshots" with an optima batter
Old 11-26-2002, 08:10 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

You sure its your battery and not your alternator?
Old 11-26-2002, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by ejj
You sure its your battery and not your alternator?
word, the battery only starts supplying power when the car's voltage drops below ~12v.. that ~2.4v drop is what you're seeing..

but if you wanna know which is better, check out the reviews @ www.carsound.com

p.s. OPTIMA
Old 11-26-2002, 09:35 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i was told the Optima puts out the same amount of power as other batteries much cheaper...
only thing is, the Optima holds it's charge a lot longer and charges up faster..

say i dont need to play the stereo with the car off and dont plan on it... do i need to waste an extra 60-80$ on an Optima.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:01 PM

cheapest i've seen a red top retail new is 109 at costco
Old 11-27-2002, 12:06 PM

if you have a system you don't want a red top anyway..
Old 11-27-2002, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by TylerBorg
cheapest i've seen a red top retail new is 109 at costco
red tops are just for car use only. yellow tops are supposed to be only for your system, but they work fine as regular batteries also.
Old 11-28-2002, 04:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TL@altimas.net
if you have a system you don't want a red top anyway..
Well if everything is running off of your primary battery then yes you do. There's obviously a reason Optima makes the Redtops for an OEM replacement and a Yellowtop for a secondary battery. They could make more money selling the Yellowtop for everything. Of course, if you have a really powerful system then I advise you to add a second battery, it's not as hard as it looks and you won't have to worry about starting and headlights dimming again. Plus it's not as much work as people make it out to be, and for that get a Yellowtop.
-Cyrus
Old 11-28-2002, 07:43 PM

False.. read Optima's FAQ.. all the answers are right there..

14. When should I consider a deep cycle?
Any time you need the battery to supply all the operating power for a vehicle or other device. Additionally, deep cycle batteries should be used in vehicles that have heavy accessory loads where the alternator cannot maintain the battery in a fully charged condition.

17. When should I use a Deep Cycle OPTIMA as a Starting battery?
"Deep Cycle" batteries are designed for applications that require deep, repetitive amperage drain, like trolling motors, golf carts, and electric wheelchairs, or RV house power sources. However, there are other applications, called "Heavy Cycling" or "High Cycling", when a Deep Cycle OPTIMA can successfully replace a starting battery to provide longer life and better performance.
In heavy cycling or high cycling applications, a vehicle will pull unusually high amperage levels from the starting battery due to extra accessories or limited alternator capacity. Public safety professionals, such as police, fire, and ambulance fleet managers often find that traditional starting batteries cannot provide adequate life and performance due to heavy cycling. This is an excellent opportunity to provide your customer with longer life and better performance by using an OPTIMA Deep Cycle battery in this type of application.

In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two to three times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.
Car Audio:
Yellow Top/Deep Cycle onlyRed Top/SLI will not be covered by warranty