Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

review my future setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 09:35 PM

review my future setup

I would like to have some extra bass in my system. Its stock except for the pioneer headunit. I don't need earth pounding bass, juss something to make the music sound better. I was listening to a friends maxima who has the BOSE and the same headunit as mine, and that type of bass was sufficient for me.

Either I do: 4 6 1/2 infinity reference
US acoustics 4 channel amp

OR
4 6 1/2 pioneer
Mono US acoustics amp
Rockford Punch HE 8''
Q-logic vented box

I'm afraid that if i push the reference for bass, they'll start wearing down but price is really important cuz i only have around 500 to spend but I was saving some for the projectors. Any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2002, 06:46 AM
rilla dope

Those infinities alone won't give you any punch. I'm a big fan of 8s, but I would say that you need a 10 for the kind of bass you'd like at least. More is better than not enough, you can always turn it down. I don't like the fosgate subs either, but that's personal choice and I'm sure there are differing opinions. Make sure that if you can, spend more money on quality fronts instead of the same all the way round. You'll appreciate the tunes up front much more anyway.

Qlogic boxes aren't bad, but you could get a simple cube box made very cheap and stiff qlogic a few bucks by not spending on the premium name. Your options for amps are tremendous, just match the power your sub can handle with an amp in your price range. For the bass you want, you shouldn't need a super sub or amp to get that punch you like. Again, 10 or 12 is the size of choice here. If all you have avail is stuff like fosgate, mtx, pioneer, alpine, kenwood, I recommend the Alpine Type Rs, quality in a standard easily found sub.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:30 PM

Any reason you said a vented box? It sounds like you're more concerned with sound quality and response than SPL, and I think a sealed box would give you that better than a ported box.
I have a single 12" 250 RMS sub, in a sealed box, and it hits really really well. I have it tuned to not stick out like a sore thumb, and it really fills in the whole system (even with the stock non-bose speakers). You don't need this much power, but a single 10 would probably be perfect.
-Smitty
Old 12-19-2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by DJSmitty
Any reason you said a vented box? It sounds like you're more concerned with sound quality and response than SPL, and I think a sealed box would give you that better than a ported box.
-Smitty
From my past experiences and from what I have been told, a vented or "ported" box, will provided a much higher SPL, then that of a sealed enclosure. Sealed boxes will usually provide a tighter punchy bass, while ported box can achieve lower frequencies. I think that if bass is an issue a ported box would be the way to go.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Chitwista

Sealed boxes will usually provide a tighter punchy bass, while ported box can achieve lower frequencies. I think that if bass is an issue a ported box would be the way to go.
But he said:
I don't need earth pounding bass, juss something to make the music sound better.
A ported box will be louder, but will rumble more and there is a chance of port noise or distortion at some frequencies. They also don't hit the higher bass freq. as well (like > 100 Hz ). If he's looking to fill in the bass, and not have a thudding system, sealed would be the way to go.

-Smitty
Old 12-20-2002, 08:12 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I too am a fan of 8" subs. My favorite system had 4 infinity 8" subs in a sealed enclosure w/ a total volume of 1.3 cubic feet (about what a single 12" sub takes) but had the cone area of almost 2 12" subs. If i were you, I would:
replace my front speakers with the Infinity reference speakers and run them off of either the pioneer OR the front 2 channels of a 4 channel amp.
I would keep my stock rear speakers.
I would buy either a pair of 8" subs or a single 10 or 12. I would buy a sealed box from the local stereo shop. Go with a simple shape- they are usually cheap. If not, I would make it myself.
Run the sub off of a 1 or 2 channel (bridged) amp if you want to run the infinity speakers off of the pioneer HU, or off of the 2 rear channels of a 4 channel amp (remember, the other 2 channels of this setup would be for the infinity 6.5s).

This would be a cheap upgrade with flexability.