Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Component Questions (long)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 08:33 AM

Component Questions (long)?

Hey, I'm in the middle of installing 4x Rockford Fosgate Components in my 5th Gen and had 2 questions because this is my first experiance with components:

1) The wires for (+) and (-) coming out of the cross over seemed to be switched for the tweeter. The tweeter has connectors on it's wires that will only allow one of the connectors coming out of the x-over to fit. When I plug the tweeter in, the positive goes to the negative and the negative goes to the positive. Is this normal? It sounded ok but how can I tell if a tweeter is "out of phase"?

2) I plan to install the tweeters for the rear in "B" pillar so I have to run a wire out of the door (x-over) to the tweeter (I'm tapping into the factory wiring for the woofers). This will work fine on the passenger sie, but on the driver's side I have the power cables running. Am I asking for noise if I run the signal for the rear left tweeter along with the power wires to get it up to the B pillar?

3) In typing this, I guess I could wire the x-overs directly into the amp (located in the trunk) for the rear channel and just run the wire to the tweets from the trunk rather than the door. Is this a better way to do it?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2003, 09:41 AM
Disco Biscuit

Actually, its quite common to wire tweets out of phase. I ended up doing that myself. Its a way to reduce the output of the tweeter to give it a less harsh, more laid back sound. It sounds to me that RF desided that theirs sound best out of phase. If it sounds fine to you, I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Whitemax
Actually, its quite common to wire tweets out of phase. I ended up doing that myself. Its a way to reduce the output of the tweeter to give it a less harsh, more laid back sound. It sounds to me that RF desided that theirs sound best out of phase. If it sounds fine to you, I wouldnt worry about it.
Interesting. I called RF today and the guy said that wasn't normal. I asked why it was that way on 3 SETS of these speakers that I got (2 for me, one for my friend) and he said he would have to see if they are being produced wrong by talking to the production department (ie: go out for a smoke).

Furthermore, he said that I could blow the speaker by running it out of phase. I know that it isn't the proper way, but I never heard of blowing a speaker because it was out of phase!

I see your point about the harshness of the tweeter, the reason I liked these so much is because they were more laid back than the MB quarts that dogs started chasing after my friend played them

I'll try it both ways and see what's up.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:32 PM

Wiring it out of phase will not blow it, in fact some do that to try to improve imagaing. Wiring it out of phase should have no reason to reduce the output of a speaker. Telling if a tweet is outta phase is tuffer than a mid, but hook it to a battery 9V, and watch the way it moves if you got pos to pos it will move out and if not moving out then it's out of phase.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by max'n out
Wiring it out of phase will not blow it, in fact some do that to try to improve imagaing. Wiring it out of phase should have no reason to reduce the output of a speaker. Telling if a tweet is outta phase is tuffer than a mid, but hook it to a battery 9V, and watch the way it moves if you got pos to pos it will move out and if not moving out then it's out of phase.
Cool, I'll try that. Thanks.