Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Rookie question.. how to run the wires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 01:12 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Rookie question.. how to run the wires?

This may sound silly to most of you gurus..

but..

I'm going to put my stereo in myself, or attempt to..

my question is how you guys run the wires..

i have a 4 channel amp which i'm bridging to the components up front and a 2 channel sub amp.. bridge to a single 12" ID IDQ sub..

my interior will also be going through some reconstruction at the same time where i'm taking out the dashboard, carpet, rear deck, and pretty much everything else.. i though i might as well take the opportunity to install everything..

Do i run the wires from the HU to the amp, then from the amp back to the speakers up front? I want to put all amps in the trunk..

can you walk me through the steps?
how to make it look as clean as possible and as do it easy as possible?

thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2003, 03:58 AM

Speakers--> Run the speaker wire to the amp--> From the amp take the RCA's and run them to the deck. Easy as 1-2-3! Hide all your wiring under the carpet. Go to this link, has diagram of what you should do.
http://pix.crutchfield.com/graphics/...amp_wiring.jpg

Hope this helps!
Old 01-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

power from battery fuse next to battery to distribution block (capacitor) (highly recommended) to another fuse( again recommened so u dont fry the amps) to amps. Rear decks RCA's to amps. Run the RCA and POWER wires on SEPERATE sides of the car!!!!!!! Or youll enjoy annoying whining sounds ALL THE TIME... so dont forget!

speakers wires go from amps to speakers.. thats it..
really is easy as 123...or you can pay a dirty installer $100 an hour..
Old 01-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't forget to also run the amp\cap turn-on lead from the HU to the trunk. You can use a simple 18-22 gauge wire that connects to the turn-on lead of the HU, and goes to the trunk, then splits to turn on each of the amps and possibly the cap if it requires it.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

S.hit!! you guys are confusing me, and I have done it a thousand times (really about a hundred.. ). slow down and really take it step by step. Installing amp and speaker wires should be a one time shot. It'l be a shame if he screws it up......

If someone send the guy an e-mail, giving him clearer instructions it'll be easier for him. (gotta go back to work, so I don't have the time ) Explaining how to install amps, amp wires and speaker wires does take up a lot of server space.

And don't forget to tell him to run his amplifier power cable from the battery through the firewall! I cry when someone show me their setup and their amplifier cable is seen in the door jam. I even know a guy who ran his power cable by drilling a hole through his cabin floor! What if he bottom his car out??
Old 01-10-2003, 05:04 PM

is there a really good site for this stuff?
Old 01-10-2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by GundamWZero
S.hit!! you guys are confusing me, and I have done it a thousand times (really about a hundred.. ). slow down and really take it step by step. Installing amp and speaker wires should be a one time shot. It'l be a shame if he screws it up......

If someone send the guy an e-mail, giving him clearer instructions it'll be easier for him. (gotta go back to work, so I don't have the time ) Explaining how to install amps, amp wires and speaker wires does take up a lot of server space.

And don't forget to tell him to run his amplifier power cable from the battery through the firewall! I cry when someone show me their setup and their amplifier cable is seen in the door jam. I even know a guy who ran his power cable by drilling a hole through his cabin floor! What if he bottom his car out??

lol

thanks,
I am a bit confused but killer and tanman still gave some helpful info i did not know before..

another question,
is there any way i can get by without the capacitor?

if so, are there any downsides to doing this?

thanks
Old 01-10-2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

lol

thanks,
I am a bit confused but killer and tanman still gave some helpful info i did not know before..

another question,
is there any way i can get by without the capacitor?

if so, are there any downsides to doing this?

thanks
I don't think the capacitor is necessary unless you bump a lot (big sub, or multiple subs), or if your battery is old.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by looney662
Speakers--> Run the speaker wire to the amp--> From the amp take the RCA's and run them to the deck. Easy as 1-2-3! Hide all your wiring under the carpet. Go to this link, has diagram of what you should do.
http://pix.crutchfield.com/graphics/...amp_wiring.jpg

Hope this helps!

Another question about that diagram....

I don't see how the sub and sub amp are connected to the headunit? How does this work?

i can control my sub with my HU, yet in that diagram, it is not related at all..

and.. 1 more thing,
i don't NEED the distribution block and the ground block, right?

thanks
Old 01-11-2003, 11:36 AM
no more maxima...

You are using the one amp to power both your components and your sub right? Well then the pair of RCA's (or however many depending on the number of pre amp outs you have on your h-u) you have running from your h-u to your amp is all you need. That will send a signal to your amp, which will then send a signal to all the speaker outputs on your amp, to any speaker connected to that amp.

Since you are not connecting more than 1 amp to your power cable, you do not need a distro block. Just make sure you have a fuse on that power cable that is pretty close to your battery, and you should be fine.

You also do not need a ground block. I do not use them because I have seen them introduce noise back into the system. What I do is ground the amp straight into a piece of metal, on the car that is not painted. Make sure your ground cable is not more than 18 inches or so.

Another question about that diagram....

I don't see how the sub and sub amp are connected to the headunit? How does this work?

i can control my sub with my HU, yet in that diagram, it is not related at all..

and.. 1 more thing,
i don't NEED the distribution block and the ground block, right?

thanks
Old 01-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tanman

I don't think the capacitor is necessary unless you bump a lot (big sub, or multiple subs), or if your battery is old.

Yeah he is right. If you run, say like 2 12" woofers bridged mono on a 2000w amp or something like that, you are going to need a Cap. Some people got and buy an high output altenator to solve the headlight dimming dilemina, however they risk damage to the cars electrical system (like the cars on-board computers, ecu etc...) I have heard horror stories on the high output altenators. But if you are using multiple amps w/ hig-end speakers (like I am) and don't want to buy another altenator, get a cap.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by kingrukus
You are using the one amp to power both your components and your sub right? Well then the pair of RCA's (or however many depending on the number of pre amp outs you have on your h-u) you have running from your h-u to your amp is all you need. That will send a signal to your amp, which will then send a signal to all the speaker outputs on your amp, to any speaker connected to that amp.

Since you are not connecting more than 1 amp to your power cable, you do not need a distro block. Just make sure you have a fuse on that power cable that is pretty close to your battery, and you should be fine.

You also do not need a ground block. I do not use them because I have seen them introduce noise back into the system. What I do is ground the amp straight into a piece of metal, on the car that is not painted. Make sure your ground cable is not more than 18 inches or so.
I actually have 2 amps...

one for the sub.
and one for the components.

can i still get by without the distribution block?

I have everything else..

thanks
Old 01-12-2003, 07:31 AM
I need a truck

one for the sub.

I have everything else..

thanks
just go get it installed by don .. PM me when you do it, maybe i'll stop by and lend a hand
Old 01-12-2003, 09:04 AM

one for the sub.

I have everything else..

thanks
Two amps will require the distribution block, unless you want to run two amp power wires from the battery to the trunk (not recommending this). It's simple though, run the fused 4AWG amp power wire from the battery to the trunk, connect it to the distribution block (maybe fused also), from the distribution block, the power wire splits into two and goes to each amp. On my setup, the power wires are 8AWG after the distribution block because my amps accept 8AWG power wire. Check and see what gauge wire your's will accept. Keep in mind the ground wires should be the same gauge.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:30 AM
no more maxima...

Sorry I mis-read your initial post. As tanman said, yes you will need a distro block, unless you want to run 2 wires (not reccomended). I think you should go with a fused distro block (as each amp will be drawing different current). From the type of sub you are running, and assuming you are not pushing more than about 200wrms to your components, it sounds like you can get away with 4awg wire to a fused distro.

As for connecting your sub amp, how many pre amp outputs does your deck have? If it has more than 1, use the 2nd one (or specified sub-out) to run an RCA cabe straight to your sub amp. If you only have one pre-amp out, then run an RCA cabe to the amp which has an RCA pass through, then run a 2nd RCA cabe from the RCA cabe pass through to the 2nd amp. Connect both amps via a trigger line, using wire as tanman specified earlier.
Hopes this helps,
Phil

one for the sub.

I have everything else..

thanks