Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Upgrading - mixing tweeter types?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Upgrading - mixing tweeter types?

I have a purchasing dilemma. After listening around, I liked the Diamond M6's a lot. I was all set to get M661 components and M361 coaxials from Don and let the upgrading begin.

Then... I finally found someone who had CDT speakers. I listened to some CL61's and really liked them too - very tonal, flat response, good midbass, smooth tweeter. Right now there's a CDT promo at a couple of dealers, buy the CL61's and get a set of coaxials free. BUT... the coaxials have a .75" metal tweeter while the components have 1" silks.

What will happen if I mix tweeter types? I know the metal tweeters will be brighter, especially at louder volumes, but is there a way for me to control that? Like an in-line filter? I want nice rear fill without moving the sound stage.

The CDT's are $130 less than the Diamonds, enough to make me think hard about the tweeter issue.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ciao,
TOM
Old 01-13-2003, 06:05 AM
Jedi Knight

I don't see a problem with mixing tweets, especially because you'll be putting the metal (louder/sharper) ones up front. For $130 less I'd do the deal...
Old 01-13-2003, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by nupe500
I don't see a problem with mixing tweets, especially because you'll be putting the metal (louder/sharper) ones up front. For $130 less I'd do the deal...
Actually, the component speakers have the silk tweeters and would be in front. The coaxials have the metal tweeters and would be in the rear deck.

Thanks,
TOM
Old 01-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Jedi Knight

well...with my setup...the rear fill is run off the headunit and the front stage of the amplifier. The gain on the front is higher than the rear to balance things out...you could try that or something similar...let me know what you think
Old 01-13-2003, 09:56 AM

I don't foresee much of a problem with the different tweeter types. However, The CDT HD series has a metal tweeter option and the tweeter can be purchased seperately at sounddomain.com and others. It costs around $130 and might be worth looking into in the future if the sound is bad. The upgrade would still make the purchase around the same price as the Diamonds. By the way, good choice on the CDTs IMO one of the best sounding speakers for the buck. I think they will be my choice when I finally get around to working on my stereo.

Brett
Old 01-13-2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by nupe500
well...with my setup...the rear fill is run off the headunit and the front stage of the amplifier. The gain on the front is higher than the rear to balance things out...you could try that or something similar...let me know what you think
Actually, I am assuming he is going to use the RAF (Rear Acoustical Fill) feature from the Diamond crossovers. This gives him the opportunity to power the components and the coaxials with a 2 channel amp without messing up the load on the amp.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by C-Dawg

Actually, I am assuming he is going to use the RAF (Rear Acoustical Fill) feature from the Diamond crossovers. This gives him the opportunity to power the components and the coaxials with a 2 channel amp without messing up the load on the amp.
I think bahmax understands what I'm asking. I'm trying to discover what problems I might encounter while using both component speakers (w/ silk tweeters) and coaxials (w/ metal tweeters.) I'm concerned about sound quality and sound-stage issues.

I'm assuming I can install a passive crossover that will limit the high frequencies going to the rear coaxials. What I don't know is how the two sound qualities will blend. Even when attenuated, will the sound quality of the metal tweeters (in the rear deck) have a negative effect on the sound quality of the silk tweeters (in the OEM locations)?

I also e-mailed CDT directly, I hope they respond. Thanks for your comments.

Ciao,
TOM
Old 01-13-2003, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by tom_98se

I think bahmax understands what I'm asking. I'm trying to discover what problems I might encounter while using both component speakers (w/ silk tweeters) and coaxials (w/ metal tweeters.) I'm concerned about sound quality and sound-stage issues.

I'm assuming I can install a passive crossover that will limit the high frequencies going to the rear coaxials. What I don't know is how the two sound qualities will blend. Even when attenuated, will the sound quality of the metal tweeters (in the rear deck) have a negative effect on the sound quality of the silk tweeters (in the OEM locations)?

I also e-mailed CDT directly, I hope they respond. Thanks for your comments.

Ciao,
TOM
I tend to stay away from metal or aluminum tweeters altogether. I find that they are too harsh for my liking. I love silk tweeters and the silk ones in the DA Hex sets are right on the money. I went through quite a few different component sets (MB Quart, Focal, HiFonics, Infinity Kappa Perfect, and Boston Acoustics) before I settled on the DAs. They have the sound that I am after. I liked the Bostons as well, but the Diamonds have a bit better quality to them.

Now, on to your question, the best thing to do would be to try them out and if they don't fit your tastes, send them back.