Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

opinions on front components

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 03:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

opinions on front components

alright, i'm ready go to get some new highs to match the new mtx amps and kappa perfect subs i've got on the way for my stereo. i know when it comes to front speakers and components, it's just "what the ear likes", but i'd like to know how the speakers sound. the only stereo shop within about 40-50 miles of here sells a few random brands i've never really heard of and i can get stuff for cheaper online. i'm a fan of clear highs, so long as they don't override the mids and almost sound "crackly" they're so loud. my main preference is a strong midrange. i don't like there to be a gap between the highs and lows in a system. in fact, i want the mids to be the strongest sounding if any of them. i listen to a lot of music, but i'd like to focus my system on sounding good with rock (i.e. creed, tantric, etc etc). anyways, if any of you could post your experience with your components and their sound characteristics, i'd appreciate it. btw, i'm right now looking at the kappa perfects and possibly jl audio comps. those are about the only ones i've heard good remarks on so far. i'm probably just gonna go with 5 1/4 (maybe 6 1/2" if they'd fit) woofers and probably have custom kickpanels made. i've got some 5 1/4" comps mounted in the stock kick panel now, but i'd like to maybe change that when i install the rest of my goodies. thanks for your input guys!!
Old 01-13-2003, 07:01 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Look into infinity Kappa components. You can get them for relatively cheap on eBay. I have been looking into various options, and I will probably end up with them in the end.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:01 AM
Banned

Re: opinions on front components

kappa components are great and jl is pretty good too.... but look into fosgate components (i have fanatic x's and love them) also if you arent strapped for cash the polk momos are the most incredible speakers i have ever heard
Old 01-13-2003, 10:17 AM

Re: Re: opinions on front components

Originally posted by Ryan93SE
kappa components are great and jl is pretty good too.... but look into fosgate components (i have fanatic x's and love them) also if you arent strapped for cash the polk momos are the most incredible speakers i have ever heard
I just installed the Rockford Fosgate Fanatic (FNP2614) 6.5" components (.75" tweeters) in my 2k3 front and back and I love them. I will say that the tweeters are a little harsh, but nothing compared to other brands that I listened to (ie: MB Quart). I was able to get them for about $110 on e-bay - great deal. I've got 75 watts going to them and they are crisp, clean and LOUD. Very nice mid bass response.

For the money, they are a great deal...I would buy them again.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:20 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Re: opinions on front components

Originally posted by spta97

I just installed the Rockford Fosgate Fanatic (FNP2614) 6.5" components (.75" tweeters) in my 2k3 front and back and I love them. I will say that the tweeters are a little harsh, but nothing compared to other brands that I listened to (ie: MB Quart). I was able to get them for about $110 on e-bay - great deal. I've got 75 watts going to them and they are crisp, clean and LOUD. Very nice mid bass response.

For the money, they are a great deal...I would buy them again.
Rockford makes 3 series- X, P, and Q. What is the good->better->best order?
Old 01-13-2003, 03:03 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: opinions on front components

P, X, then Q
Old 01-13-2003, 08:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: opinions on front components

Originally posted by Ryan93SE
P, X, then Q
I guess I got the low end Oh well, I'm happy as $hit with the sound!
Old 01-13-2003, 08:50 PM

Focal.....thats all I gotta say, Im yet to hear better sounding speakers, and I drove to all shops within 100 miles of me, lol
Old 01-14-2003, 12:29 AM

alright guys, thanks a lot for all the input. as far as the focals and mb quarts go, any certain model number or series i should be looking for? i know what to look for with the fosgates at least. thanks. also, i'd like to not spend more than 250 (which thanks to ebay's insane prices, won't limit me much). also, i'll be using a 4 channel amp that pushes 67 watts/rms to each side. after talking to someone on here about the amount of power some of them can handle, i've considered just bridging the amp and running the approximate 200 steady watts to each side instead. anyways, if ya can, gimme a model number or somethin to shop around for. thanks!!
Old 01-14-2003, 12:30 AM

one other thing... anyone heard of diamond audio? on one of the other boards i'm on someone mentioned diamond audio components being superb, just pricey. i haven't found any for sale though, just thought i'd get an estimate. thanks again.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:54 AM

Diamond Audio and Alpine....very crisp and clean...which is most important...how clean can the speaker be. In my listening experiences...ive found Diamond Audio to be best compared with Focal components-they sound alot a like. Same with Alpine...I'm looking at putting the full Type-R system in my car. Already got the subs...and I think comp. with the rear fills are next...my clearance phoenix golds I dont think will please me much longer!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:31 AM

For Focal the Polykevlar's (what I have) have a better overall sound, where as the Polyglasses are stronger in midbass.....the Utopias combine them both, but cost the most by far.....it goes Polyglass...PolyKevlar....Utopia!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Jr'sMaxima
For Focal the Polykevlar's (what I have) have a better overall sound, where as the Polyglasses are stronger in midbass.....the Utopias combine them both, but cost the most by far.....it goes Polyglass...PolyKevlar....Utopia!
if you are going to get the polykevlars stick with the first edition, the second editions are for high powered speaker systems and your amp isnt up to the job. and secondly, make sure the tweets are mounted off-axis because they tend to be a little harsh, but not as harsh as mb quarts
Old 01-14-2003, 03:18 PM

thanks for the info, those focals look pretty sweet. not that i could afford these, but wow..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1950581193
those just look saucy. i found a pair of 5 1/4" poly flex components for 120. i also found a set of the same size comps by mb quart (QM-215.03CX) for 129. some diamond audio m651 comps are going for 200. there were also fanatic q components at 150/set. decisions, decisions.... one more question for everyone, which of these'll work best with my amp. again, it's the mtx 6304. my certificate shows it putting out 67 watts steady. i could probably bridge it and just run the front two speakers if it'd make that much of a difference, but i wouldn't have anything but the stock deck running the rears. i've narrowed it down some, now it's just deciding which will go with my amp's power best.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:14 PM

I have focal PK165's.....rated at like 80rms?? Im pumping 120 to them.....they love every bit of it!!!! Just be careful with your crossover....they can take that power all day long as long as you dont throw too low of a frequency to them.

Tweeter is great to me, mounted in the stock location just attenuated down to the lowest level, and its money!!!!
Old 01-15-2003, 07:14 PM

I have the polykevlars also, I love em. The tweeters sound a bit harsh with mp3's but they sound great with regular cd's. Now I'm looking for a new HU with satellite radio controls. I'm running 50 watts to mine with a crossfire 5channel.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:50 PM

For around $250, I would look at the CDT Classic Series. Plus you get a free set of rear speakers. If you are looking to spend a bit less than that I like the Crystal Mobilesound CSc's that are around $150 here after discount. If you shop around or watch ebay patiently you can probably find both sets even cheeper. Just my $.02.

Brett