Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

New HU or better speakers- any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

New HU or better speakers- any advice?

I am considering getting a new HU or leaving in the Bose and getting better speakers.

I currently have the Bose (stock) with the addition of a 12" RF sub on a 100 watt RF amp. It is currently using high-level inputs. It sounds pretty good, but I could always have cleaner bass. I also have a 62.5 x 2 RF amp to use on front stage (or to run in parallel to the corners)

Here are the factors-

If I get a new HU, I will have to either use an adapter ($50!!!) or replace the rear speakers (for about the same price). I hate the thought of replacing the rear speakers, mostly b/c I hate removal of the rear deck. If I leave the Bose HU in there and just replace the front speakers, I can leave the rear bose speakers in place.

If I get a new HU, she signal to the sub (and the front amp) will definately be cleaner than the high-level signal from the Bose right now. Like I said, it does not sound bad, but it is bass, so distortion is not as evident as it MAY be once I add amplification to new door speakers up front.

Using high-level inputs, what is the likelihood that I will be able to get a decent signal to the amp (and therefore, on to the front speakers)?

If I get a new HU, I will have to go coaxials all around, for financial reasons. I will probably amp the 2 front channels and leave the rear to run off of the HU, unless you guys think that amping the rears will be beneficial. I have never run anything other than OEM speakers in the rear, b/c in my past vehicles (all cherokees), I used the rear speakers as rear fill, not primary speakers. What are your thoughts here?

If I keep the Bose, I can afford to get better speakers for the front. Again, my fear is that I will not get a decent signal out of the Bose (w/ the high-level inputs) and will then have to undergo the extra expense of the HU and rear speakers, plus i will have laid out a lot of money on the components (more than I have budgeted).

I wish I had a non-Bose...

If I get a new HU, it will be cheap. I like CD players w/ the slot in the face (no flip-downs), so I will be dropping very little on the CD player, if I get one. I would rather run the Bose, just b/c it is 100% stealth, and it is easy to use in traffic or w/o looking. Any ideas, guys?
Old 01-18-2003, 08:48 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

help!
Old 02-11-2003, 10:48 AM

I'd be interested to hear the answer to this as well...
Old 02-13-2003, 12:57 PM

Anybody?
Old 02-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Re: New HU or better speakers- any advice?

Wow!!Ok this is somewhat confusing but I will try to answer this one as best as possible.

If Possible, which i will explain what i mean in a sec, I would change the speakers first. The bose system itself is not all that bad. Each speaker in the system is amplified. If you have listened to the bose system for a while and think it has decent sound then there is no real reason to change its HU. The first thing which degrades the sound of the bose system is it Chitty paper cone speakers. The speakers arent made well at all. However one thing to like about the bose system is that the doors have a decent amount of midbass in them, which most people like. Alot of people who change there whole system over notice that the first thing that they lose is the midbass out of the doors. either because they dont use the bose boxes that come with the system or, the new hu is not as pwerfull as the bose was with all of the amps.

If you just bought a cheap head unit you would not be getting more power nor better clarity out of it alone without upgrading the whole system.

So, if you are to change anything i would change the speakers first. Now, back to If Possible. I'm not sure if its possible to change the speakers in the system first off i think you would have to cut all of the connectors, which wouldn't be hard but I'm not sure if the polarity is normal on those speakers.