Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Materials for amp rack....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 02:29 PM

Materials for amp rack....

After searching, "amp rack", "custom trunk", and "materials", I am pretty sure i got the design down for the system i have. What I am getting stuck on is the construction:

a) is plastic better than carpeted wood/mdf?
b) is fiberglass better than plastic?
c) do I have to worry about any fire hazards?
d) where is the best place to get these materials? Home Depot type stores or internet sites like Crutchfield?

Any assistance would be appreciated for the noob question...

B
Old 02-11-2003, 05:59 PM

Re: Materials for amp rack....

Originally posted by BJGemini
After searching, "amp rack", "custom trunk", and "materials", I am pretty sure i got the design down for the system i have. What I am getting stuck on is the construction:

a) is plastic better than carpeted wood/mdf?
b) is fiberglass better than plastic?
c) do I have to worry about any fire hazards?
d) where is the best place to get these materials? Home Depot type stores or internet sites like Crutchfield?

Any assistance would be appreciated for the noob question...

B
A. No

B. No

C. Yes

D. homedepot stores.

What exactly is it your after to do.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Materials for amp rack....

Originally posted by max'n out

A. No
B. No
C. Yes
D. homedepot stores.
Thanks Jayson....you answered everything i needed. I was hoping to put enough keywords in here so other people can find it when they searched.

in reference to fire hazards, other than keeping wires neat, would fireproof carpeting take care of most of my fire hazard worries?

Right now i am playing with replacing my one amp (bridged for the 4 6.5s) with a higher wattage multi-channel one, or keeping the present amp for the front two, and getting a second for the back two. Either way, i need to clean up the trunk, and was looking for something just to mount all the stuff to. Not really for show.

Thanks again

B
Old 02-12-2003, 02:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Materials for amp rack....

Originally posted by BJGemini

Thanks Jayson....you answered everything i needed. I was hoping to put enough keywords in here so other people can find it when they searched.

in reference to fire hazards, other than keeping wires neat, would fireproof carpeting take care of most of my fire hazard worries?

Right now i am playing with replacing my one amp (bridged for the 4 6.5s) with a higher wattage multi-channel one, or keeping the present amp for the front two, and getting a second for the back two. Either way, i need to clean up the trunk, and was looking for something just to mount all the stuff to. Not really for show.

Thanks again

B
I woun't worry to much about fire proof carpet its not that big of deal. Just when you run them run them neat and tie them together neatly along the car. You just want to avoid the giant jumble and gobble of wires some have sitting on sharp metel wating to cut through. If you want you can loom them down the car as an extra measure of protection, but really just being neat and keeping your eye on where your pointing them is plenty.

If all your really after is a neat way to hold the amps, a normal small mdf rack should be find, you can build it many different ways to hold them and still have the trunk even.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Materials for amp rack....

A. No

B. No

C. Yes

D. homedepot stores.

fiberglass isn't better than plastic?
Old 02-13-2003, 09:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Materials for amp rack....

Originally posted by ObsidianIce69

fiberglass isn't better than plastic?
Bout the same it may give some more but fiberglass if done right is gonna be very strong strong enough for me t sit on, same as abs plastic.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Materials for amp rack....

Bout the same it may give some more but fiberglass if done right is gonna be very strong strong enough for me t sit on, same as abs plastic.
cool, had no idea plastic would be any good for an enclosure.