Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Subwoofer Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Subwoofer Problems

Hi, I am very new to the whole subwoofer scene. All of my friends have them and I had the opportunity to get a great deal so I took it. I got a Rockford 400s amp and 2 Pioneer IMPP single voice coil 10's in a bandpass box. I bought the PAC SNI35 adapter to hook up to my existing Bose system. Now for my problem. I can run one sub at a time and it sounds great, but when I run both of them the sound distorts, cancels out, or something and it sounds terrible. I have tried running 2 channels, one to each sub. I have run them parallel, sequential, bridged and unbridged. I know it is not my adapter or amp because it does the same thing when I use the signal from my friends truck or his Memphis 1000D. Right now I am running the amp bridged to one sub and it hits hard but I can only imagine what they would both sound like if they worked properly. Can anyone explain what could be my problem or give me some additional wiring suggestions? I am going to take it to an audio place on Wednesday but I was hoping someone could help me before then. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2003, 11:12 PM

Prebuilt bandpass boxes tend to sound like crap, maybe thats just the way it sounds.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:08 AM

are the gains for each channel on the amp the same? maybe your overpowering one sub over the other?
Old 01-27-2003, 04:51 AM

Something is out of phase. First make sure each woofer is wired to the amp correctly. Positive to positive, negative to negative. If all is ok there, then my guess is you have the inputs wired out of phase.

If all this sounds like mumbo jumbo to you, try this simple test. reverse the wires of ONE woofer where it connects to the amp(which means put the neg on the pos and the pos to the neg). If it sounds fine now, and the woofers were wired correctly, then the inputs to your adapter are wired wrong. Reconnect your woofer correctly and reverse ONE of the inputs to your adapter. That should do the trick.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by RichK
Something is out of phase. First make sure each woofer is wired to the amp correctly. Positive to positive, negative to negative. If all is ok there, then my guess is you have the inputs wired out of phase.

If all this sounds like mumbo jumbo to you, try this simple test. reverse the wires of ONE woofer where it connects to the amp(which means put the neg on the pos and the pos to the neg). If it sounds fine now, and the woofers were wired correctly, then the inputs to your adapter are wired wrong. Reconnect your woofer correctly and reverse ONE of the inputs to your adapter. That should do the trick.
Thanks for everone's help! I wired the subs back up in 2 channels and they sounded like crap. Then I reversed the wires to one sub and they sound great. I am guessing one of the wiring ports on the side of the box is hooked up wrong. As long as it sounds good everything is fine, right? Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:04 PM

Yeah, these guys are great.......................

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:38 PM

Even if it's out of phase it woun't hurt anything it's done all the time and for the exact reason of making it sound better. And while I'm thinking of it, you don't have the highpass on, on your amp do you? Should be low pass (lp).
Old 01-28-2003, 04:11 AM

Glad it worked for you. Sometimes problems are easy to fix, some aren't. Don't you feel lucky now?
Old 01-28-2003, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by max'n out
Even if it's out of phase it woun't hurt anything it's done all the time and for the exact reason of making it sound better. And while I'm thinking of it, you don't have the highpass on, on your amp do you? Should be low pass (lp).
Yes, the low pass is on. I think my friend wired these in the box a while ago and must have switched some wires. Thanks again and WAR D*MN EAGLE!