Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Got screwed by an installer

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 05:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Got screwed by an installer

Hey guys, I need your advice.

About 7 months ago I had an installer install 2 amps, 2 subs, and a set of Crystal Mobilesound speakers in my car. The Crystals were components. Well, over the weekend I took off the door covers to try and figure out how he wired everything. To my dismay I have found that he installed my Crystal Speakers in the front doors by simply putting a wire tap into the stock harness. As if that wasn't bad enough...My tweeters are nowhere to be found. The clarion ones that came with the bose setup are in the a-pillar, and the tweeters aren't in the front or rear doors. So basically, the system was not only wired horribly, but it appears they stole some of my stuff. I'm going by today after work to confront them on it. How should I handle it. The guy was nice enough at his shop and all. Should I go in there acting like there was some sort of "mistake" and be nice about it or should I raise holy hell? Which way would be more conducive to getting my tweeters back as well as a fresh install (that I will WATCH this time).
Old 01-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Jedi Knight

raise hell but in a calm matter/tone...that usually ****es them off more...and ask for your stuff back!
Old 01-27-2003, 05:45 AM

Originally posted by nupe500
raise hell but in a calm matter/tone...that usually ****es them off more...and ask for your stuff back!
Yeah, I think that sounds good. I am going to assume that my original tweeters are long gone by now. Or are in the installers car or something. What should I ask for as replacements (as im sure they don't have the crystals in stock. I bought those off sounddomain.com). They were 3/4" silk dome tweets.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:48 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy

Yeah, I think that sounds good. I am going to assume that my original tweeters are long gone by now. Or are in the installers car or something. What should I ask for as replacements (as im sure they don't have the crystals in stock. I bought those off sounddomain.com). They were 3/4" silk dome tweets.
if they don't have anything nice/comparable that you want..then ask for market value of those components...if they refuse...ask them to whom does your lawyer have to send a summons to...(lawsuit fake out...usually works)
Old 01-27-2003, 07:07 AM
jmax

If you "raise hell" they have every right to show you the door. Putting them on the defensive is the best way to keep from being satisfied or having hte situation resolved. I really don't think you want a ticket for disorderly conduct to add to your troubles. The lawyer routine never works when talking to a manager or owner. Because they probably have some common sense and knowledge of the fact that you wouldn't have a case in civil court. Your lawyer fee's would be more than what you would get. Not to mention it will probably take 6 months to 6 years to reach a settlement.

I would very calmly let the manage know you have questions that need to be answered asap. It's possible the manager doesn't even know anything was done wrong. It's also possible that you are wrong. If it took you 7 months to find out that something may have been done wrong, shame/blame on you.

Old 01-27-2003, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by jmax
If you "raise hell" they have every right to show you the door. Putting them on the defensive is the best way to keep from being satisfied or having hte situation resolved. I really don't think you want a ticket for disorderly conduct to add to your troubles. The lawyer routine never works when talking to a manager or owner. Because they probably have some common sense and knowledge of the fact that you wouldn't have a case in civil court. Your lawyer fee's would be more than what you would get. Not to mention it will probably take 6 months to 6 years to reach a settlement.

I would very calmly let the manage know you have questions that need to be answered asap. It's possible the manager doesn't even know anything was done wrong. It's also possible that you are wrong. If it took you 7 months to find out that something may have been done wrong, shame/blame on you.
Oh please. Don't give me that sh*t. I trusted those people. It sounds decent, but when I started pulling things away I saw that it should sound a LOT better. Don't you dare put the "shame/blame" on me. If it had sounded like a$$ for 7 months without me doing any checking, then yeah. But it sounded okay, so I thought everything was on the up and up. I'm not going to go in there and start yelling and cussing, but I am going to show the guy what is missing and how terrible of a job was done in the wiring. If they won't help me out, then I will just take them to small claims court. I have an attorney in the family, so no lawyer costs. But with the evidence I have, I doubt I would even NEED a lawyer.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:49 AM
jmax

Oh please. Don't give me that sh*t. I trusted those people. It sounds decent, but when I started pulling things away I saw that it should sound a LOT better. Don't you dare put the "shame/blame" on me. If it had sounded like a$$ for 7 months without me doing any checking, then yeah. But it sounded okay, so I thought everything was on the up and up. I'm not going to go in there and start yelling and cussing, but I am going to show the guy what is missing and how terrible of a job was done in the wiring. If they won't help me out, then I will just take them to small claims court. I have an attorney in the family, so no lawyer costs. But with the evidence I have, I doubt I would even NEED a lawyer.
7 months outside an evidense room is a lot of time for the evidense to have been contaminated. I don't even see what the point is if you have been happy with the sound for 7 months. It seems like all of a sudden you think you would like it to sound different. Do you even think you could tell the difference in a blind listening test? You failed a blind test for 7 months. I am not saying that the store was right to do what it did. Only that you have a tough case to prove in small claims or any court in the part of USA I live. I am glad to hear you have a family member who is willing to work for you for free. Most of us don't have that advantage.

Your best chance of success is the calm approach. And contacting the better business bureau. You could also have the local PD meet you at the store to file a stolen property report. Civil suits are the VLDL cholesterol of the legal system.

Old 01-27-2003, 07:53 AM

7 months outside an evidense room is a lot of time for the evidense to have been contaminated. I don't even see what the point is if you have been happy with the sound for 7 months. It seems like all of a sudden you think you would like it to sound different. Do you even think you could tell the difference in a blind listening test? You failed a blind test for 7 months. I am not saying that the store was right to do what it did. Only that you have a tough case to prove in small claims or any court in the part of USA I live. I am glad to hear you have a family member who is willing to work for you for free. Most of us don't have that advantage.

Your best chance of success is the calm approach. And contacting the better business bureau. You could also have the local PD meet you at the store to file a stolen property report. Civil suits are the VLDL cholesterol of the legal system.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. The thing is, everything that's there is STOCK. The tweets are still in the stock harness. There is absolutely no evidence that they ever wired ANYTHING up front. It's all stock, except for the TAP they stuck in the wiring harness to be able to plug in my new speakers. I will say this though...If you run some watts to those stock Bose speakers, they don't sound bad. They've been the brunt of my system for the last 7 months and I haven't noticed. But yeah, trust me nobody wants to go to court less than me. I really hope the guy is as cool about it as he was back when it was installed. See, the thing is the guy I dealt with was the owner of the place. I don't think he actually did the install. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 01-27-2003, 08:08 AM
pjalst

I agree with Jmax in that if you go in there ranting and acting like a lunatic, they will say F-you and show you the door. Then you will have to sue them and wait forever to get satifaction. If you go in there calm and professonaly they might say, hey this guy is decent lets take care of him. You catch more flies with honey instead of vinegar. If the nice guy approach doesn't work, then you raise Hell, you have nothing to loose anyway. When you do raise Hell make sure the place is full of potential customers.

Old 01-27-2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by pjalst
I agree with Jmax in that if you go in there ranting and acting like a lunatic, they will say F-you and show you the door. Then you will have to sue them and wait forever to get satifaction. If you go in there calm and professonaly they might say, hey this guy is decent lets take care of him. You catch more flies with honey instead of vinegar. If the nice guy approach doesn't work, then you raise Hell, you have nothing to loose anyway. When you do raise Hell make sure the place is full of perspective customers.
Cool man, thanks for the advice. I think the best approach is to go in there and act like I'm bringing this "mistake" to their attention, and not flat out accuse them of being thieves. All I'm hoping to get out of this is my old tweeters (or their equilivent) and a good wiring job to my front speakers. I don't think that's asking too much. But thanks again for your advice.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:25 AM
jmax

Good luck

Old 01-27-2003, 11:54 AM
pjalst

let us know how it turns out

Old 01-27-2003, 01:17 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

If all else fails, file thft charges against the installer, and accessory charges against the shop and its owner. File complaints w/ the better business bureau. Write a letter to the editor telling what happened to you. Call the certification boards (MECP, etc.) that certified the shop/installer, and ALL of the brands that they are authorized to carry. Brands won't like being associated w/ theives, and the cert boards might be interested to hear about your experience. Certainly the chamber of commerce or the BBB will want to know about it.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2003, 07:02 PM

the only down side is 7 monthes later...I know its not ur fault for not noticing, because It shouldnt of happened in the first place...but still...7 monthes!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:24 PM

UPDATE:

I went by the shop this afternoon and talked to the owner. It turns out he is as nice as I remember him. He did not do the original install, but he said it was definitely a mistake and that they probably still have the tweets as they keep all of the boxes that people bring in. I made an appointment for Saturday @ 10AM at which point he will install my tweeters (if he can find them, if not, he will order new ones) and re-wire my amp to play the correct speakers. I went in very calmly and did not accuse them of anything, I just said "Do you remember me from June (he did)? I have had a couple of problems with my stereo installation.) We then went out to my car, he looked it over, and apologized. I really don't think it was done on purpose, but I really don't care anymore. They didn't give me an ounce of trouble, and hopefully this Saturday everything will be squared away. I will let everyone know how that goes as well. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions. You helped me turn a negative situation into something positive.

Lloyd
Old 01-27-2003, 09:21 PM
jmax

Now I just hope it sound better .

Old 01-28-2003, 04:29 AM

Now I just hope it sound better .
LOL There's no way it COULDN'T! He had my STOCK Bose speakers amped in the BACK and my A/M Crystals up front (no tweeters, mind you) running off of the deck!! It's GOTTA sound better. He's gonna put the tweets in and run the rear speakers off of the HU and hook up the Crystals to the amp. It's gonna sound niiiiice. Plus I just ordered a Diamond Audio M6 12D4 sub from Don, so that's gonna be here soon too.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:02 AM
Jedi Knight

glad to see that everything worked out well for you. There are some owners that value customer service, and those are usually the ones that stay in business the longest! let us know how they sound once the situation has been resolved
Old 01-28-2003, 06:55 AM
pjalst

Wise choice to go in there acting civilized. More people need to take note and see that acting a fool gets you nowhere most of the time. If he went in there screaming and cussing, the shop might of told you, sorry 7 months, we can't do anything. If you go in there screaming, they figure they've lost you as a customer anyway, so they have nothing to loose.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:04 AM

UPDATE:

I went by the shop this afternoon and talked to the owner. It turns out he is as nice as I remember him. He did not do the original install, but he said it was definitely a mistake and that they probably still have the tweets as they keep all of the boxes that people bring in. I made an appointment for Saturday @ 10AM at which point he will install my tweeters (if he can find them, if not, he will order new ones) and re-wire my amp to play the correct speakers. I went in very calmly and did not accuse them of anything, I just said "Do you remember me from June (he did)? I have had a couple of problems with my stereo installation.) We then went out to my car, he looked it over, and apologized. I really don't think it was done on purpose, but I really don't care anymore. They didn't give me an ounce of trouble, and hopefully this Saturday everything will be squared away. I will let everyone know how that goes as well. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions. You helped me turn a negative situation into something positive.

Better sound on the way....

Lloyd