Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anyone know the RMS on non-bose hu?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 07:00 AM

Anyone know the RMS on non-bose hu?

Well here is my situation. I just purchased infinti kappa's 6.5 3 way. I heard the these speakers require lots of power. Somebody noted earlier in the forum that non-bose hu might not have enough power to make my new speakers sound good. Does anybody know the rms and if my speakers will sound like crap or sound better than the paper cones i have now? Also, if it does sound like crap, what should i do.......
Old 02-11-2003, 02:05 PM

probably gonna be between 10-15 wpc...
Old 02-11-2003, 07:24 PM
WaZ

I think it was my thread where new speakers need lots of power to sound as good as it's supposed to be. When I used a new hu with nonbose stock speakers, it sounded much better than the stock hu. Then i thought, if i change the speakers it will sound much better than that too. Well, I guessed wrong. Midrange and high frequency sounded much better on my new infinity referece speakers but i wasn't getting the same base as the stock speakers were giving me. Someone then told me that i need more power to run my new speakers for them to actually sound better than my stock speakers.

Then I took out my brother's bandpass boxed 12" MTX sub out of his car and installed it on my max. Now, I'm getting my midrange and highs from my new infinity speakers and my bass coming from the sub is supporting the base that my speakers can't produce anymore. Sounds great overall.

Here's what I would do if i were you. It's not gonna sound much better if you just install your kappas on your stock non-bose hu. I'd get a decent 4 channel amp. It will sound much better than when you had your stock speakers in. If it's still not good enough for you, then you probably have to go with the full upgrade.

JSR
Old 02-12-2003, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by WaZ
I think it was my thread where new speakers need lots of power to sound as good as it's supposed to be. When I used a new hu with nonbose stock speakers, it sounded much better than the stock hu. Then i thought, if i change the speakers it will sound much better than that too. Well, I guessed wrong. Midrange and high frequency sounded much better on my new infinity referece speakers but i wasn't getting the same base as the stock speakers were giving me. Someone then told me that i need more power to run my new speakers for them to actually sound better than my stock speakers.

Then I took out my brother's bandpass boxed 12" MTX sub out of his car and installed it on my max. Now, I'm getting my midrange and highs from my new infinity speakers and my bass coming from the sub is supporting the base that my speakers can't produce anymore. Sounds great overall.

Here's what I would do if i were you. It's not gonna sound much better if you just install your kappas on your stock non-bose hu. I'd get a decent 4 channel amp. It will sound much better than when you had your stock speakers in. If it's still not good enough for you, then you probably have to go with the full upgrade.

JSR

Thanks for you advice. When i save up some more money, I think i will purchase a 4 channel amp.