Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Installing Fosgate Component 6.5s and Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 11:37 PM

Installing Fosgate Component 6.5s and Tweeters

Alright, after coming to the conclusion that my stock clarion system SUCKS, I decided to take a look around Best Buy with a friend of mine who works there. They have a pair of $180 Rockford Fosgate 6.5s with separate tweeters, that I get for $80 with my friend's discount.

Here is a link for them on Rockford Fosgate's website. I heard them in the store at Best Buy and they sounded pretty good. Another thing is, I have a Sony 50x4 deck, would you guys recommend that I buy an amp for these? I'm going to start off by buying just a set of them for the front, and later getting aftermarket speakers for the rear.

How hard would installing these be? Would I have to run new cable at all? What, in lamens terms, would I have to do to install these. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2003, 01:21 PM

After speaking with the audiophile ChinaonNitrous1 I have narrowed down my decision to these two speakers instead:

Kenwood

or

Rockfords
Old 02-16-2003, 01:22 PM

Which ones do you guys recommend?
Old 02-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Which ones do you guys recommend?
I am doing a system in the next couple of weeks and replacing the door speakers with Infinity kappa component 60.5cs's. I don't know what to say about the 2 choices you have. I have not heard either of them. I do know it won't sound the same as in the store when they are in your car. I do live in phx though and you can probably hear mine when they are done being installed. Maybe that will help you with your decision.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:01 AM

The first Rockfords you mentioned are better than the coaxials. The Kenwoods suk monkey aass.

The coaxials do sound nice, but compared to Cerwin Vegas V-Mag602, they are WEAK. The Cerwins sounded like a home stereo system! But the Cerwins have less Bass.

http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/cerwinvegaspkrs.html

In any case, listen before you buy... everyone's taste in sound differs!

Let us know!
G
Old 02-28-2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by GoldMember

I am doing a system in the next couple of weeks and replacing the door speakers with Infinity kappa component 60.5cs's. I don't know what to say about the 2 choices you have. I have not heard either of them. I do know it won't sound the same as in the store when they are in your car. I do live in phx though and you can probably hear mine when they are done being installed. Maybe that will help you with your decision.
Let me know how it looks and it sounds when you're done. Also, let me know how hard the install was.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:46 AM

Seperate Install.

If you are trying to install seperates in a 5th gen. Max. I want to let you know it was a pain in the ***. I'm sure install is similar but depends on one component. When installing components you have two choices.
1. Use factory wire and stick crossover in door panel, which always gets wet whenever it rains. Also the factory wire is like 20-22 gauge wire which sucks.
2. Run new wire into door and keep crossover inside car somewhere. (I'm going to show mine off) For me to run a wire into the door panel for a 5th gen. took a while. First I thought I could stick the wire thru the black tubing running from the door to the kick panel. There is a nut holding one end on to the kick panel end. After backing nut off the end of the black tubing is a white pin style connector with no way at all of pulling a new wire through. What I had to do was run my speaker wire through firewall and pull wire though fender and cut small hole into black tubing near door to get wire in.
I thought I would just help you figure out what was involved int his project. Also you need to make some adapters to change factory speakers to aftermarket ones. Any other ?'s ask and I'll try to help.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:04 AM

Does anyone have any feedback about running seperates in the doors?