Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

inverted subs ?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 03:33 PM

inverted subs ?????

i going to a alpine 10" type r sub woofer soon and i want to invert it (so you can see the magnet), if possible. i know someone has inverted subs before is it louder, cleaner? and also what kind of box do you need???
Old 02-20-2003, 04:30 PM

It's the same as doing it tradinal, theres no addvantage other than not having to calculate the air space with the basket down in there.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:35 PM

Well... the advantage is the bling bling factor (if your sub looks nice)... as for the disadvantage well there are none either otehr then it takes up more space... but you still have to make sure your sub box is the correct volume... also you have to make sure to invert the polarity on your sub so that it fires the other way... some high end HU have that built in but for other you will need to reverse wires. I hope this helps...

ps. If you really want something for the looks.. make a box with plexi back... then you will get both of both words.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:43 PM

alpine recommends Sealed box volume: 0.5-0.8 cubic feet so if i get a .75 sealed box? i will be set. my hu has that inverted feature too =]
Old 02-20-2003, 09:41 PM

One more thing is that the woofer won't last as long. A lot of coworkers of mine in the car audio department tell me the woofer wasn't designed for that direction even though it will sound the same as if were extroverted(?). But it is BLING BLING (except if you have a tiny magnet then its like tingy ting ting )
Old 02-20-2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by ChromeSE5
One more thing is that the woofer won't last as long. A lot of coworkers of mine in the car audio department tell me the woofer wasn't designed for that direction even though it will sound the same as if were extroverted(?). But it is BLING BLING (except if you have a tiny magnet then its like tingy ting ting : )
Old 02-20-2003, 10:28 PM
jmax

If you have ever hooked up a sub "inverted" you know it does not sound the same. Typically there is more distortion as tthe sounds of tinsel leads and parts of the suspension rubbing is not blocked by the cone surface. Enclosure recomendations are the same, but remember sub displacement volume is not the same. It is also more difficult to mount a grill to protect the sub. Unless you ride in the trunk, I see no advantage.

Old 02-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jmax
If you have ever hooked up a sub "inverted" you know it does not sound the same. Typically there is more distortion as tthe sounds of tinsel leads and parts of the suspension rubbing is not blocked by the cone surface. Enclosure recomendations are the same, but remember sub displacement volume is not the same. It is also more difficult to mount a grill to protect the sub. Unless you ride in the trunk, I see no advantage.
Maybe I missed something, but why would you want to put a grill on to protect the sub? Isn't the cone inside the box? So, unless you got some stuff floating around inside the box, it should be protected... right?
Old 02-21-2003, 12:01 AM

At good guys we had a pair of tornados and 6000's, one with the intro and extro....they do sound the same. I even tested it myself. They even used it that way to demo the sub.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:29 AM

No matter what anyone says... if they are installed the proper way no one can tell a diff if teh subs are inevrted or not.

Another thing... why would you want a grill on an inverted sub ? Am I missing something here ?

And as for sound qulity... sound qulity is 80% up to the install. Good install on cheap equipment will sound better then ****ty install on high end equipment.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:31 PM
jmax

I have tried this with tow or threee different subs and I can hear the difference. You may not be able to, but I can. If I can, most people with ears can.

Let's see now, we have a basket, a front and rear plate, a magnet, a spider and tinsel leads on the inverted side to create disturbances with smooth flow of air from the cone. The cone not being visible should be a big indicator of why it does not sound the same. But the cone is not completely covered or protected either. Nearly anything in the trunk could swing into the terminals and short it out. Or rip a tinsel lead, two, three or four off. Not to mention objects could slide into the pole vent. I am sure that I forgot ten or twenty reasons not to do this though.

Old 02-21-2003, 10:52 PM

I have tried this with tow or threee different subs and I can hear the difference. You may not be able to, but I can. If I can, most people with ears can.

Let's see now, we have a basket, a front and rear plate, a magnet, a spider and tinsel leads on the inverted side to create disturbances with smooth flow of air from the cone. The cone not being visible should be a big indicator of why it does not sound the same. But the cone is not completely covered or protected either. Nearly anything in the trunk could swing into the terminals and short it out. Or rip a tinsel lead, two, three or four off. Not to mention objects could slide into the pole vent. I am sure that I forgot ten or twenty reasons not to do this though.
I agree, there is a small but audible sound difference. Most importantly, by inverting, you are just asking to turn your pole vent into a vaccuum for dust and other crap floating around your trunk. Crap in the gap = real bad sound. Plus if your trunk is anything like mine, subs + golf clubs and other random objects can be a bad combination. Finally, depending on sub materials, the added moisture that can get in the trunk is probably not a good thing either. Bottom line: if you really think the motor structure looks that cool, build a box with a plexi window.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:18 PM

I know lots of peeps do the inverted thing for looks, but some actually have a push-pull isobaric setup. One sub is face to face with another; only one of them is powered. It theoretically makes a tighter bass because the second sub offers resistance and recenters the powered sub; similar to the difference you hear between a ported sub and a sealed one. It's a lot of money (a whole second subwoofer) for very little gain. But if you're trying to win competitions...
Old 02-22-2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
I know lots of peeps do the inverted thing for looks, but some actually have a push-pull isobaric setup. One sub is face to face with another; only one of them is powered. It theoretically makes a tighter bass because the second sub offers resistance and recenters the powered sub; similar to the difference you hear between a ported sub and a sealed one. It's a lot of money (a whole second subwoofer) for very little gain. But if you're trying to win competitions...
Most of the time that is done, both subs are powerd and one is out of phase.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:52 PM

Yes they are both powered with a constant volume in the middle. The idea is to have equal compliance in both directions of motion.

An unpowered passive radiator (kelton type setup) is a whole different animal (radiator usually has a heavier moving mass and no motor structure).
Old 02-22-2003, 11:55 PM
jmax

Yes, isobaric is a whole new ball game. But for all the theoretical gains you can't escape the inverted sound.