Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

bose system + new head unit (did search, want opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 03:09 AM
My heroine

bose system + new head unit (did search, want opinions)

hey all

i just bought my max a couple weeks ago (97 se) and want to get my sony blackface head unit into it, plus my subs. reading through the posts on how to adapt the new head unit to work with the bose speakers, i come up with three options

this adapter from crutchfeld
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UsBvhpy...i=142CNN03&s=0

this adapter / eq monster thing
http://www.linkmeup.com/pd4.htm

or this, which appears to be close to the one offered on crutchfeld
http://www.installer.com/cars/nissan.html

what i'm wondering is if anyone has any personal experience with any of these, or has known anyone who has used them. The second one seems to be the best in terms of options / quality and whatnot, but it's pricing is high, and the other two, i'm not sure if they would actually do what they claim to do or not. so if anybody has any ideas, I would appreciate it

willis

and before anyone says it.. I know, it would be better to rip out all the speakers and just put in new good speakers along with the new head unit.. which yes, this is true, but it will be cheaper to put in my head unit with and adapter than to buy a whole new system.. and I need my head unit in, cause I can't stand this stock bose head unit crap.. no good.. anyway, sorry for the rambling, but it's 6 in the morning and i'm still half asleep.. thanks for any help you can give
Old 02-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Cumalittle

the one from www.installer.com ... is fairly cheap...and i bought stuff from them...from what the guy explained to me...the harness that they sell plugs into the car...the rca plugs u see will be plug into the rca plugs from new head unit...on the harness there will be amp power on and amp ground...just provide power and ground to it...thus u will be using unamplified audio from headunit and will be using bose amps...and u should have another set of rca from new head unit for subwoofer...

Old 02-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is there an advantage to using the head unit's RCA output and the Bose amps rather than the regular speaker output? Is it a power mismatch or something?
Old 02-22-2003, 06:39 AM
Cumalittle

Originally posted by Dechter
Is there an advantage to using the head unit's RCA output and the Bose amps rather than the regular speaker output? Is it a power mismatch or something?
well using the regular speaker output from new head unit is amplified...and if u chose to keep the bose amp then it will be double amplified...thus u use the unamplified signal..that is if u chose to keep the bose speaker and amp...but if u want to change those out too then it changes the whole story...

Old 02-22-2003, 06:41 AM
Cumalittle

this harness is the one that i'm referring too...
http://www.installer.com/wires/70-7551.jpg
not this http://www.installer.com/acc/nisah4n.jpg

Old 02-22-2003, 03:15 PM
My heroine

as I understood it, there is an amp on each speaker in the bose system.. if there was only one master amp for it, it would be easy to wire around.. and yeah, i know the one from nissan installer is cheaper, I was just wondering if it worked at all.. thanks though

Originally posted by Cumalittle

well using the regular speaker output from new head unit is amplified...and if u chose to keep the bose amp then it will be double amplified...thus u use the unamplified signal..that is if u chose to keep the bose speaker and amp...but if u want to change those out too then it changes the whole story...
Old 02-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Cumalittle

Originally posted by willis
as I understood it, there is an amp on each speaker in the bose system.. if there was only one master amp for it, it would be easy to wire around.. and yeah, i know the one from nissan installer is cheaper, I was just wondering if it worked at all.. thanks though

if there's anything in the 4th max that i knoe...it's the bose system...i've took the damn thing apart and put it back together...yes each speaker has it's own amp...if u just want to buy a new hu and possible upgrade w/ a subwoofer plus amp w/o messing w/ the factory speakers then that harness that i'm talking bout would be ideal...

Old 02-23-2003, 07:51 AM
My heroine

Originally posted by Cumalittle

if there's anything in the 4th max that i knoe...it's the bose system...i've took the damn thing apart and put it back together...yes each speaker has it's own amp...if u just want to buy a new hu and possible upgrade w/ a subwoofer plus amp w/o messing w/ the factory speakers then that harness that i'm talking bout would be ideal...
cool, thanks.. that's what i had been wondering