Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

BOSE - CD Err

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 07:24 PM

BOSE - CD Err

So Im leaving work, and I go to change CD's, and I get CD Err. Thinking that the CD is just old and scratched up, I try another. Same thing. Happens 3 times and I give up. What's wrong w/ my CD player?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: BOSE - CD Err

Your bose head unit is going. You may have to get a new one or buy a aftermarket one. You've been playing burned CDs on it haven't you?

Originally posted by gabex
So Im leaving work, and I go to change CD's, and I get CD Err. Thinking that the CD is just old and scratched up, I try another. Same thing. Happens 3 times and I give up. What's wrong w/ my CD player?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I play nothing but burned CDs whats wrong with that?!?!?!?
Old 02-20-2003, 08:33 PM

Seems the burned CDs burn the lens out.

Originally posted by HarrisH
I play nothing but burned CDs whats wrong with that?!?!?!?
Old 02-20-2003, 09:14 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by ZuMBLe

well damn, i didn't know that. lol i hope mine burns out, so then i'll be forced to get an aftermarket deck and get myself an in-dash LCD screen like the one goin on in the group deal forum

till then.... i'm poor and have no reason to change
Old 02-20-2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s

well damn, i didn't know that. lol i hope mine burns out, so then i'll be forced to get an aftermarket deck and get myself an in-dash LCD screen like the one goin on in the group deal forum

till then.... i'm poor and have no reason to change
my CD had the same problem, but i have an electric friend, he open and find that the problem was simply..the cd was very dirty inside, he told me that the clarion cds are the best but we should buy a cd cleaner and do clean process like every 3 months. After that he fixed, i dont know what my cd had, theres a little malfuntion. I insert the cd, and ERR code appears algo a stupid noise, but right now is in great condt again my friend glue somepart inside and after that i reintalled and works ok.

If you have some $100 box or less just buy one, look ebay and you will find some great deals
Old 02-21-2003, 04:31 AM

I did the lens cleaner thing. It worked for a little while. But eventually the cd player stopped reading the lens cleaner. It would just make ticking sounds and display ERR. I just bought a head unit off a fellow .ORG member. =)

ZuM

Originally posted by maximabest

my CD had the same problem, but i have an electric friend, he open and find that the problem was simply..the cd was very dirty inside, he told me that the clarion cds are the best but we should buy a cd cleaner and do clean process like every 3 months. After that he fixed, i dont know what my cd had, theres a little malfuntion. I insert the cd, and ERR code appears algo a stupid noise, but right now is in great condt again my friend glue somepart inside and after that i reintalled and works ok.

If you have some $100 box or less just buy one, look ebay and you will find some great deals
Old 02-21-2003, 10:07 AM

My CD has done this ever since I bought it. I replaced it twice while under warranty. About 5k miles after warranty was over, it problem started again and has been intermittent. Now I've gone for about 5 years with the problem off and on. I found it does it mostly in very cold or very hot days. The Bose in our Pathfinder is perfect without any problems. I guess my Max is cursed.

BTW, I never play burned CDs. I wish I could, but it bad for the player.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:32 AM

Just so you know, a reasonable place to get Bose HU's repaired is www.carstereohelp.com. They have all kinds of info on that site, including how to take the damn thing out. You can also buy OEM Bose Speakers to replace ones you blow out.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:03 PM

Well, I even tried the lense cleaning CD but it didn't read that either.. Im looking for an alternative to replacing it, because that would take time and no CD player sucks... let me know if you know anyhting.. or any place that can fix it relatively cheap..

Gabe
Old 02-22-2003, 07:30 AM

Ok so I have 3 choices in replacing the Bose...

(1) Send me current one in to get repaired, $120-$180 with a year warranty.

(2) Buy a used one off the org or ebay, $75-$125, no warranty, hope it doesn't crap out like mine

(3) Look for one in a junkyard, $ ??, no warranty either

What would you do?
Old 02-22-2003, 08:09 AM

Ok so I have 3 choices in replacing the Bose...

(1) Send me current one in to get repaired, $120-$180 with a year warranty.

(2) Buy a used one off the org or ebay, $75-$125, no warranty, hope it doesn't crap out like mine

(3) Look for one in a junkyard, $ ??, no warranty either

What would you do?
I'd go with (4) Buy an aftermarket replacement!!
Old 02-22-2003, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Ravq

I'd go with (4) Buy an aftermarket replacement!!
I'm avoiding an aftermarket replacement..For 1, i'd have to spend $50 on the adapter, For 2, it'd be more expensive then options 1-3, and For 3, i'd want a double-din and there arnet too many attractive ones.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:29 PM

I'm avoiding an aftermarket replacement..For 1, i'd have to spend $50 on the adapter, For 2, it'd be more expensive then options 1-3, and For 3, i'd want a double-din and there arnet too many attractive ones.
Adaptors aren't that expensive. I agree there aren't many good looking double din's but why buy another bose when chances are it'll crap out again. This is a very common problem with them.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe

Old 02-23-2003, 01:27 PM

Go with carstereohelp.com. They do good work. Worth it to me since I don't like the look of aftermarket.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:34 PM

my bose went out on my old 96 maxima. i just replaced it w/aftermarket (kenwood double din) for around $400 . i liked it better than the bose den.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:58 PM

burns out lens?

You have to be joking. A "burned" CD-R can damage a CD Player lens? Please try and explain this.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:36 PM

Re: burns out lens?

Originally posted by bb0ys
You have to be joking. A "burned" CD-R can damage a CD Player lens? Please try and explain this.
i dont think he said a burned cd damages anything, however it overworks the laser or lens or whatever which would be excess ware causeing it to crap out
Old 02-24-2003, 08:07 AM

Burned CD's burn the lens out? Can this really be true??
I just don't see how this could happen. I know the
reliability of the Bose head unit is very poor and prone
to failure, but how could there be something in a burned
CD that would burn the lens out?
Old 02-24-2003, 08:32 AM

mine did the same thing, and I just went with the aftermarket unit. I had just picked up a clarion DVD,mp3, with a 7" color LCD screen that flips out. So now I can enjoy all the music, and DVDs and hooken up a couple cords and play PS2. If you add the aftermarket deck, it is best interest to replace the interior speakers. You will get a hissing noise when the volume is at low playing levels, and a pop noise when you use the moonroof or power seat. When you take the speaker out, take apart the amplifier(this is if you have the BOSE system) and there is a wire that is purple and yellow that is twisted together. Clip through them one by one, not all at once, and the other 3 can be cut all out of the picture. And take the ends of the purple and yellow and that is the ones you will use for the speakers. I did it to all 4 of em, and It is nice and clear.I love em.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:00 AM

Re: burns out lens?

Hey noob. This has been covered. The theory is that the CD reader has a harder time reading burned CDs. Maybe the laser needs to run higher power or longer and something fails. It's a theory. If you can do better, please share. Yeah, I was joking.

Originally posted by bb0ys
Old 02-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CD Err

Yea i have been playing burnt CD's for a while on my bose head unit, and a while ago i kept getting the CD Err code. Now my radio makes a clicking noise once and a while, then completely shuts down. Looks like it's time for a new deck!
Old 02-26-2003, 04:54 PM

If you are having problems with your factory single
disc CD player could you add one of these (link below)
changers to your factory Bose system and eliminate
the problems? Play all the burned CD's you want?
Link is for Crutchfield, so there may be less
expensive alternatives.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...p?s=0&I=581N66