Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Problem with Siruis, alternator noise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 07:51 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Problem with Siruis, alternator noise...

I just got and installed a kenwood sirius system in my max, with the FM modulator going to my alpine deck. I noticed this high pitched whine yesterday, and at first thought something was wrong with my car, but when I turned down the volume, it went away. Then I noticed it kinda varies with engine speed, and gets louder the higher the rpm gets, and I figure the system is getting noise from the alternator. I didn't have any problems with this before, I run all my power wire down the left side of the car, and everything else down the right side. I don't get any noise when listening to CD's or the normal radio. I plan on hooking the sirius up directly to my head unit AUX once I get the proper adapter, I just don't have it yet. Any idea's how I can reduce the whine, or what I could be doing wrong? Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Problem with Siruis, alternator noise...

Originally posted by mtrai760
I just got and installed a kenwood sirius system in my max, with the FM modulator going to my alpine deck. I noticed this high pitched whine yesterday, and at first thought something was wrong with my car, but when I turned down the volume, it went away. Then I noticed it kinda varies with engine speed, and gets louder the higher the rpm gets, and I figure the system is getting noise from the alternator. I didn't have any problems with this before, I run all my power wire down the left side of the car, and everything else down the right side. I don't get any noise when listening to CD's or the normal radio. I plan on hooking the sirius up directly to my head unit AUX once I get the proper adapter, I just don't have it yet. Any idea's how I can reduce the whine, or what I could be doing wrong? Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.
Wasn't there something in the instructions about not having the antenna wire too close to any power wires? It would somehow interfere with the signal? Check this link out for other suggestions--it has some good information.

Radio noise

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A4LnKCZ...ech/kb348.html
Old 02-21-2003, 09:22 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: Problem with Siruis, alternator noise...

Thanks for the advice and the link, but I don't have my antenna wires near any power wires. I have my antenna on the rear deck, and the siruis reciever is mounted on the back of the seat, the wires only run 3ft or less to the reciever, and I have the extra wire zip tied right next to it, so that can't be it...

Originally posted by kramerica72

Wasn't there something in the instructions about not having the antenna wire too close to any power wires? It would somehow interfere with the signal? Check this link out for other suggestions--it has some good information.

Radio noise

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A4LnKCZ...ech/kb348.html
Old 02-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

all low voltage signal wires should be kept away from power wires. and check your grounds.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I had that probelm when I first installed it too. My "diversity-to-standard" radio antenna adapter had broken.