Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

XM vs Sirius...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 08:25 PM

XM vs Sirius...

Has anybody tried both that can give a comparison of the 2 services. My HU is XM ready so I am leading towards XM, but I still wouldliek to know the differences. Anybody got a link to a good place to buy the anntenna and the fm modulator receivier? Also where can it be installed if you have room in your dash.COuld it just go under the seat since I have a HU thats XM ready or will I need to be able to see this receivier? Is anything else needed to install it?
Old 03-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

www.clubxm.com for info on both services. After reading up there I went with Sirius.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Sirius has 3 satellites that are set up so that at least two of them are directly over North America at all times. This means that the signal is never more than 30 degrees from vertical as it reaches your vehicle.

XM has only two satellites that are stationary over the equator. This means that the signal is closer to 60 degrees from vertical (only 30 degrees above the horizon) in some ares.

This means that the XM signal is more likely to be blocked by buildings, mountains and such.

This is why XM has twice as many repeaters as Sirius. They need twice as many to maintain coverage.

Rural areas are a non-issue, both offer unobstructed signals. It's urban and mountainous areas where this becomes a concern.

XM gives each stream channel the same amount of bandwidth, no matter what it is playing. Sirius varies the bandwidth allocated to each channel depending on how much is needed. They call this "Statistical Multiplexing." It can take some away from talk channels, or when the DJ is talking on a music channel for use on other streams. This, theoreticaly, gives Sirius better control over the sound quality of all streams.

These are the reasons that I think Sirius is technically superior to XM. That, combined with the better programming and fewer commercials, definitely make Sirius worth three more dollars per month to me.