Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

capacitator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 05:53 PM

capacitator?

How many watts will a 4th gen alt be able to handle without the lights dimming before I will need a cap?
Old 04-06-2003, 07:10 PM

capacitator ??? LOL hahahaha

Dude... its a capacitor... and there were a number of dicussion as to if ppl need one or not.

IMHO its up to you and whether you have the $ to waste on one. If I were you I would get an extra battery (yellow or red tops) and thats all.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:39 AM

Well, to amke my question more specific...If I am running 1500 watts of the stock alt on a 4th gen max, will my lights dim?>
Old 04-07-2003, 11:13 AM

A good rule of thumb that I have always heard is 1 farad per 1000 watts.. So if I were you I would probably invest in one..
Old 04-07-2003, 12:56 PM

Ok........ show me what makes the load 1500Amp. I would like to see what you have.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:45 PM

I have a 1200 Watt amp and my lights dim, plus soon i am installing a ps2 and tv

I'm not gonna get a cap thought not yet atleast
Old 04-07-2003, 06:33 PM

a hifonics 1000d pushing 100 watts, a us acoustics usx4085 pushing 85 x 4 watts, and the power from the headunit. So the cap would be only goin on the 1000 watts amp. I gues a 1 farad cap will do the job.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:16 PM

If i felt like finding that thread where 90% of ppl agreed that a cap is not really the solution to the dimming problems. Why not get the battery instead ? I mean yea caps look good... are easy to mount etc etc... but do some research on the net and see the benefits of having the battery.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by crazyravr
If i felt like finding that thread where 90% of ppl agreed that a cap is not really the solution to the dimming problems. Why not get the battery instead ? I mean yea caps look good... are easy to mount etc etc... but do some research on the net and see the benefits of having the battery.

ok add a second battery for what? are u telling us that a battery can instantaneously deliver the current needed for a bass peak? the battery cannot create current fast enough, nor could it discharge a high current instantaneously. a cap will help the situation becuase it charges almost instantaneously, and discharges at that same rate. another natural feature of a capacitor is its ability to smooth out the AC ripple in the DC voltage that is caused by the alternators voltage regulators and output diodes. so tell me why a capacitor sucks. oh one more thing, i would much rather buy a higher output alternator than a second battery, as the alternator supplies nearly all of the current to the electrical system while the car is running. all the battery does during normal operation is smooth out current, and charge the battery so it can start the car.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by friendhasmax

ok add a second battery for what? are u telling us that a battery can instantaneously deliver the current needed for a bass peak? the battery cannot create current fast enough, nor could it discharge a high current instantaneously. a cap will help the situation becuase it charges almost instantaneously, and discharges at that same rate. another natural feature of a capacitor is its ability to smooth out the AC ripple in the DC voltage that is caused by the alternators voltage regulators and output diodes. so tell me why a capacitor sucks. oh one more thing, i would much rather buy a higher output alternator than a second battery, as the alternator supplies nearly all of the current to the electrical system while the car is running. all the battery does during normal operation is smooth out current, and charge the battery so it can start the car.
Agree with you about the alternator part. That will be the best (but the most $ solution.. no?), and I didnt say the caps suck... all I said was there are other ways of taking care of dimming lights.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:09 PM

Agree with you about the alternator part. That will be the best (but the most $ solution.. no?), and I didnt say the caps suck... all I said was there are other ways of taking care of dimming lights.

very little benefits to adding second battery....cap will solve problem if properly installed. another thing is u cant always find a cheap way out of things when solving electrical problems. did u know that if u tax ur current alternator at 120% its rated output capacity that u will destroy its diodes? best thing to do is change alternator, its not cheap, but its going to solve the problems. and a one farad cap is what 200 bucks? thats not cheap either
Old 04-09-2003, 11:23 AM

What is the proper way to install a double capacitor system? I custom made brackets to connect the + and - together and have the + and - wires going to and from only one of the caps.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by GaMax97GLE
What is the proper way to install a double capacitor system? I custom made brackets to connect the + and - together and have the + and - wires going to and from only one of the caps.

proper way to hook up 2 caps together is the following: they must be connected in parallel. that is the 2 negative posts get grounded seperately to the chassis (u will have 2 grounds), and the positives get connected together. if u hook it up in series u will have big problems. hooked up in series is positve to negative. the thing with series caps is that the voltage gets split in half, so if ur getting 14 volts in the system, each cap will only see 7 volts a piece. make sure the wireing is parallel
Old 04-09-2003, 08:48 PM

Anybody wanna post a link to a good cap to get off ebay thats not too expensive, or an online store? How much is one usually? I have seen one at best buy for 80$. Would this suffice. I think its a 1 farad capacitor made by rockford fosgate, and I think I saw a stinger one at a local place as well. I am going to be running a 1200 watt amp, to a 1200 watt sub, one 150 watt amp to components, an lcd, alpine 7894 hu, a dvd player (not in dash) , and maybe a ps2. I am assuming I will need a cap no matter what because with the 1200 watt amp alone I think that would be using most of the juice from my battery? Anyone care to help me out.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:12 AM

proper way to hook up 2 caps together is the following: they must be connected in parallel. that is the 2 negative posts get grounded seperately to the chassis (u will have 2 grounds), and the positives get connected together. if u hook it up in series u will have big problems. hooked up in series is positve to negative. the thing with series caps is that the voltage gets split in half, so if ur getting 14 volts in the system, each cap will only see 7 volts a piece. make sure the wireing is parallel
Ok, I should have been more clear. I meant the + and + are connected and the - and - are connected by brackets. But I am only using 1 ground (goes from amp to cap to chassis).
Old 04-10-2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by GaMax97GLE

Ok, I should have been more clear. I meant the + and + are connected and the - and - are connected by brackets. But I am only using 1 ground (goes from amp to cap to chassis).
then that is the correct setup dude. bars connect neg terminals, and bars connect positive terminals. one neg terminal gets grounded, the other gets positive from the battery and also goes to the amp
Old 04-11-2003, 08:27 AM

then that is the correct setup dude. bars connect neg terminals, and bars connect positive terminals. one neg terminal gets grounded, the other gets positive from the battery and also goes to the amp
Ok, thought so. But something is wrong in my system and at full volume every so often I loose power, thought maybe it could have been a grounding issue. Back to troubleshooting.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:55 AM

...I meant the + and + are connected and the - and - are connected by brackets. But I am only using 1 ground (goes from amp to cap to chassis).
Why are you grounding the amp to cap (and then on to the ground)? Ground the amp directly to the car's ground. Ground the cap(s) directly to the car's ground. Only the positive wires from the battery and amps should meet at the cap's + terminal. The grounds should meet on the car's ground, not at the cap's - terminal.

As far as grounding to one source vs. many sources:

Depending on the amount of draw (I won't say power here), one ground may not be sufficient enough to carry the full load. That is why some people suggest using seperate grounds. However, others will argue that if you can find a "good" ground, you should ground all your equipment there in order to avoid "ground loops" and other "noise" in your system.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by studman

Why are you grounding the amp to cap (and then on to the ground)? Ground the amp directly to the car's ground. Ground the cap(s) directly to the car's ground. Only the positive wires from the battery and amps should meet at the cap's + terminal. The grounds should meet on the car's ground, not at the cap's - terminal.

As far as grounding to one source vs. many sources:

Depending on the amount of draw (I won't say power here), one ground may not be sufficient enough to carry the full load. That is why some people suggest using seperate grounds. However, others will argue that if you can find a "good" ground, you should ground all your equipment there in order to avoid "ground loops" and other "noise" in your system.
Not sure why I have grounded my amp through my cap and then to the chassis. Thats the way I have always done it with all my installs with caps. What would be the difference between grounding the amp through the cap or not? It would be grounded either way, and ultimitely grounded at the same "spot". I could try to ground the amp not through the cap and see how that goes. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:35 PM

What would be the difference between grounding the amp through the cap or not?
1) Shorter Ground = Less chance for interference
2) One less spot for trouble to be introduced
3) Load Balancing

Load balancing basically refers to the ground not being able to handle the full load. Granted the cap itself doesn't require much of a load at all, but it's possible to have the ground weak enough that you lose some power because of the ground not being able to sustain the load. I had this happen to me when I was installing a relay for an alarm. The ground I had chosen was good, but not able to sustain enough load to operate the relay that I needed. So I had to move the relay's ground to another location.

It would be grounded either way, and ultimitely grounded at the same "spot".
I'd also try another spot. See if maybe that particular spot isn't very good. I've found bolts inside the trunk on the rear wall (where the back of the rear seat is) that can sustain a good load. They are to the left and right of the trunk pass-through.

I could try to ground the amp not through the cap and see how that goes.
As a computer engineer would tell you... we can't tell you how to fix a problem until after we've already fixed it. You may be in the same boat. Once you've tried a few things, let us know what worked for you. It may help save us time in the future.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:52 AM

Couldn't agree more. Perfect write up.

I have run every setup mentioned here: multiple batteries, bigger alternator, cap, bank of caps....the best setup I found was with a larger alternator and a cap or two. True I was running a substantial amount of amperage (95 amps at the higher volumes) but for smaller setups, a cap is much better than another battery. All another battery is going to do is give you more playing time with the car turned off and help you possibly kill the alternator faster. That's it. You can't run any more power out of the amps or make your music sound cleaner.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DR0832
Anybody wanna post a link to a good cap to get off ebay thats not too expensive, or an online store? How much is one usually? I have seen one at best buy for 80$.
I bought a "legacy" one farad cap from ikesound.com for $50 shipped. You can get them off ebay too. Don't know about quality but none of these guys make their caps so you never know. Forget the digital display...total gimmick. Most have mounting hardware too. Just watch out in handling these things...they store a hell of a lot of juice once charged.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by studman
3) Load Balancing

Load balancing basically refers to the ground not being able to handle the full load. Granted the cap itself doesn't require much of a load at all, but it's possible to have the ground weak enough that you lose some power because of the ground not being able to sustain the load. I had this happen to me when I was installing a relay for an alarm. The ground I had chosen was good, but not able to sustain enough load to operate the relay that I needed. So I had to move the relay's ground to another location.
I moved my ground from: amp->cap->chassis to: amp->chassis and caps->chassis. I think this solved my problem of what I thought was the amp losing power. I also made sure all the connections between the wires and the gold connectors were good. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2003, 09:03 PM
silver99

capacitator ??? LOL hahahaha

Dude... its a capacitor... and there were a number of dicussion as to if ppl need one or not.

IMHO its up to you and whether you have the $ to waste on one. If I were you I would get an extra battery (yellow or red tops) and thats all.
obviously has no idea of the significance of a capacitor or what it does to the dc current.

Old 04-19-2003, 09:08 PM
silver99

www.purecaraudio.com
has a nice lightning audio cap with monitor for sale. Its one of the hot buys on the homepage. I am thinking about getting it, but i may want to wait for the newer blue one with the radioactive sign on the newer one. see link below:
www.lightningaudio.com