Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Question...please help! (long and confusing sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question...please help! (long and confusing sorry)

Ok, here's the deal. When I first bought my car, I took it to some ghetto (literally) wiring place to wire my amp and subs.

What they did was wire from the rear speakers to the amp straight with an RCA cable. I can't provide more detail because this was like 2+ years ago. I don't remember if they wired just one speaker or both with the RCA cable, I think it was both....

About a year ago, one of the wires broke off and I took it to a place that rewired it for me. What they did was put in some box (I don't know how to explain it) in between the rear stock speakers and the amp. So now the rear speakers run into this box and then into the amp, they said I needed it. (When I say rear speakers, they tapped into the wires running into the rear speakers)

Anyways, I have lost a ton of amp power since then. I haven't had time to deal with it until now so here I am.

Does anyone have any idea what the first place could have done so I can repeat it? I talked with some other wiring shop and they said not to wire it that way and wouldn't tell me how the first place did it because it would blow my amp. I had been running it for 1 1/2 years without a problem and would like it back that way...I need the power back from the amp.

I hope this wasn't too confusing but I have no idea about wiring...any ideas?

Thanks!!!!