Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

amp placement???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 11:13 PM

i am putting in an amp in my 89 max. i am most likely going to put it in the trunk. is that the best spot for it? i was going to put it on the back wall of the trunk (behind the seats) but i also planned on having my 2 12" subs facing that also. is it a problem if the amp is right in front of the box?
Old 01-17-2001, 11:45 PM

I always put the amp under either the driver seat or the passenger seat. There's a lot of vibration in the trunk with the subs and I just don't want the amp to be in that kind of environment. It's really up to you though, this is just my opinion.
Old 01-18-2001, 01:29 PM
jsmiam

The trunk should be fine. Under the seat is fine too. For every person who's had trouble with a trunk install (heat or vibration problems), you'll find another person with underseat install problems (a wife/friend/backseat passenger who kicked their amplifier or stuck a wet umbrella on top of it.... :-)

It all comes down to doing a good proper job, with proper protection and ventilation for the amp, and taking your chances. Right now, for example, I have a very nice amp install in my other car, but if I get rear-ended in an accident, my amp is history.

Of course, you know I'm gonna change the subject on you, right? :-) Read some of the other threads in this forum about where to point your subs... you'll probably find pointing them backward works better... just try both ways, see what sounds best to you. (In general terms, facing backward, close to the back of the car works best most of the time, but not every single time... try different ways, use what sounds best)

Old 01-18-2001, 01:33 PM
Disco Biscuit

Check out the pics on my web page

I have one amp on either side of the ski hole. It works out fine for mine.
Old 01-18-2001, 03:25 PM

Put the amp where ever you feel like puting it I have my amp in the trunk on the side wall I built an amp rack for it so air can flow under the amp and over it too. My subs are facing the back of the car this will make the trunk into a second enclosure, which will give you clear bass. I am suere that you will find a good place for it.

Old 01-18-2001, 09:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have both of my amps under the driver and passenger seat. Soon, I will probably get a more powerful amp that can power my speakers, head unit, and subs. And I'll put the amp in the trunk. One thing I hate about amps under the seats is that when you want to adjust the amps, it's a pain the ***. And it's true that if you have passengers in your car, sometime they tend to kick the amps around. So, I think putting the amp in the trunk is a better idea IMO.
Old 01-19-2001, 12:26 AM

thanks fo rall of your help guys
1 more question. in the trunk, how do you secure the amp to the back seat. i was gonna mount it on a board and then bolt the board to the chassis of the back seat by drilling 4 holes in it. is this how most trunk amps are secured?
thanks again
Old 01-20-2001, 03:34 PM

i ounted mine on the wheel well and just mounted it to the carpet crap. i put it on the left side like right under the arm for the trunk lid. its at a nice spot and it is firm on there. i just undid all the grey plugs took off that whole side wall and mounted it and put it back, just did it today actually!