Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Bose Information Request - All Gens, all trims

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 04:24 PM

Bose Information Request - All Gens, all trims

Hello everyone. It seems that we constantly get asked the same Bose questions over and over again. I've compiled a list of questions and answers that I'm putting together for a massive "Bose-related" FAQ. But I need some information from those of you who have experienced replacement, problems with lights going out, speaker/amp information, etc. Below I've compiled a list of what I already have. If it's not on the list, reply to the thread with a LINK (or short answer) so I can include it in the thread.

These questions are ONLY FOR BOSE systems, not the NON-BOSE systems.

Things I need more information about:

1) Speaker sizes - All years (especially older ones). Trim (GXE, SE, GLE) are a must, as I've confirmed that different sizes existed for each year based upon trim level.

2) Removal instructions for the head unit for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations. I only need one per generation.

3) What the ohms were for each generation. I'm assuming that they are all 1 ohm, but I want to confirm/deny this.

4) If your system supports adding a RCA input (or CD changer), post what year and trim level.

5) What the wattage is for each generation. If the wattage changed during the generation, post the years.

6) The configuration of the system, as in, how many speakers and their locations. This will change based upon trim level, so please list that as well.

7) If anyone has the wiring diagrams (from an ESM or FSM) for the Bose system for any years (other than 2002), PM or email me.

8) Any 2004 Bose information that you have. I've got a 2004 and know the "advertised" information, but any other information you have as well.

Matt98SE: Don't sticky this thread. I'll PM you with the link to the final thread to sticky.

As a side note, if anyone has access to a 2003 350Z ESM or the 2004 Maxima ESM, PM or email me as well. I'd like to have you look up some information for me for some upcoming projects.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:38 PM

Bose systems were not available on 1st and 2nd gens,

here is some 3rd gen info:

89-91 SE's came with bose system standard, it was optional on 89-91 GXE's. For 92-94, the bose system was optional on both trim levels.

All 3rd gen bose systems used 4" speakers in the front doors and 6X9's in the rear deck. Each of the 4 speakers also had it's own amp. (the amps in the earlier year systems were more failure prone, causing the distorted sound, crackling, and a kind of engine whine heard through the speakers.)

All 3rd gen bose systems were also "advertised" as producing 200 watts of power.

as far as head unit and/or speaker removal, this site has very good instructions with pictures:

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax0.htm
Old 04-17-2003, 08:26 AM

(Bump) For obvious reasons.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by studman
Below I've compiled a list of what I already have. If it's not on the list, reply to the thread with a LINK (or short answer) so I can include it in the thread.
Car: 1990 (Mfg 11/89) Trim:SE
4 speaker system - 2 front (doors), two rear (rear deck)

Head Unit - AM/FM Cassette (no CD), single DIN
Model No: 92101 (faded,?)
Part No: 32101 (faded, ?)
Serial No: 0101753
marking at bottom of Clarion Sticker:
Clarion Co. Ltd Made in Japan Part No. 286-7141-04
Option: port in back of head unit for add-on single CD player,
single height DIN
Front Bose Speakers:

size: 4"
speaker marking (stamped) 108515 P
Speaker leads from amp are Green(-) and Orange(+)
Enclosure is marked 6/18/89 inside.
Speaker Impedance: unknown (How to you get this?)

Front Bose Amplifiers:
Metal Cover/Shield Marking: "Sigma 711 Front" / "132035-S01" / "3476/HS01''' note: shield has 2 large openings for tall caps
Circuit Board Mark: 3476HS01 Etching #6
Amp Capacitor Table (Excel Spreadsheet)*
Replacement capacitor order list,Excel*
Complete with Digikey.com part numbers*; I have used Gary Jame's suggested replacments for longer life in this list, not the exact original components.
* should be considered preliminary, as amp repair not yet complete

Rear Speakers:
size: 6x9 mounted on underside of rear deck
markings and amp info TBA (not pulled yet)

Indespensible Reference Info:
Analysis & repair notes by Gary James on 90-91 Corvette Bose amps
Bose Amplifier Repair Notes
Not identical to Nissan Bose amps, but very close

Coming Soon (In Progress)
- Amp Diagram from Jame's writeup corrected for Bose 90SE front amps with corrected cap numbers and cap polarity
- scan or front amp circuit board with caps removed with clear cap markings added
- scans of Bose circuit diagrams from FSM
- photo of head unit rear for harness plug reference
- rear speaker and amp info similar to above

I would like very much comments on how to determine speaker impedance (ohms) since the speakers are not marked & readings off a multimeter seem meaningless for an AC circuit device.