Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Replacement Stereo Suggestions Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replacement Stereo Suggestions Please

Hey Guys,

I just got a New '03 Maxima SE w/ the basic stereo system. I am thinking about replacing it with some other stereo system.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want it to look tacky, so I'm wondering if there are any systems that will match flush w/ the curvature of the console area?

Also, do you know if there are any multi-cd in-dash changers available as well? I don't like those changers in the trunk.

also, do any systems work w/ the existing stereo controls on the steering wheel? If not, I won't even bother switching out the factory system.

If anyone has pictures of their car console area w/ new audio systems, that'd be great.

thanks for your help ahead of time.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:37 PM

I just got a New '03 Maxima SE w/ the basic stereo system. I am thinking about replacing it with some other stereo system.
Congratulations on the new ride.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Start out with looks, then features. Find a unit that you like the way it looks AND has all the features you want (MP3, Sat Radio, CD Changer Controller, Video Controller, DVD, CDRWs, etc). Then research those units from there and ask us to help you choose between 2 or 3 of them.

I don't want it to look tacky, so I'm wondering if there are any systems that will match flush w/ the curvature of the console area?
There aren't any systems that will do that, but you'll need to get a single or double DIN dash kit that will allow you to use a standard aftermarket radio in our dash.

Also, do you know if there are any multi-cd in-dash changers available as well? I don't like those changers in the trunk.
They are available, but are expensive compared to trunk-mounted changers. Search at Crutchfield.com for a head unit that you like.

also, do any systems work w/ the existing stereo controls on the steering wheel? If not, I won't even bother switching out the factory system.
None of the head units are specifically designed to interface with the steering wheel controls, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to use them. You'll need a kit from PAC that is called SWI-X. This kit is basically an infared kit that emulates a wireless remote. You'll need to get a head unit that has a wireless remote in order to use the kit. And you'll also have to install and mount the sensor in your car. The install is not difficult, but is time consuming.

If anyone has pictures of their car console area w/ new audio systems, that'd be great.
<---- Check out my homepage. Go to bottom. Click on Custom Audio Install. Go to bottom of page to see dash kit, etc.

thanks for your help ahead of time.