Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Diamond and Clarion - no/minimal sound from Mids

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 01:14 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Diamond and Clarion - no/minimal sound from Mids

Hey all,
Now that the .ORG is back up ( ), I've got a question -

I did my front component install the other day (Diamond Audio M661s) to the front (stock locations).
I have them wired to the crossovers, and those are being powered by a Clarion 200.2 amp (approx. 55x2). The Clarion is getting its signal from a set of RCAs coming from the JL500.1 amp, and has it's power and ground (both 8ga) each coming from a distro block (4ga for power, 8 ga for Grnd (couldn't get the damn 8 ga bolt off, so said f-it, and just used it)).

All the wiring to the speakers is 16ga, and from the amp to the DA crossovers 12ga. All stinger wire.

I did the wiring myself, but like a clown forgot to mark which of the speaker wires coming from the door was for tweet/mid, so I test ran each of them (plugged into the tweeter on the crossover first to see what it powered, then did the other one, accordingly).

Because the DA aren't lined up to fit, I had to drill custom holes, but the mids are in there VERY tight, and are padded in. The tweets are held on with double-sided tape (as per Don's suggestion).

The problem is this - I'm getting little to no sound from my fronts unless I jack up the Fader to 5+ front, and then it's mostly tweeter. The mids don't seem to be putting much, if any, sound out. The amp is set to what Clarion suggests, for that setup. The tweets are set at -2db, to reduce the harshness possibility.

Why am I getting little to no sound from my DAs? I'm thinking a bigger amp would help, but the amp used to power my sub, so it's got the juice. Could my speakers be blown, or would I be getting a different sound (they just sound really muted). Could there be a wiring issue?

Suggestions / input would be appreciated. This is my first actual wiring job (and I think I did pretty damn well, considering ).

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 05-27-2003, 04:56 AM

Its nothing to do with your amp being too small. I would first check the setting on the 500/1 amp feeding your signal. Check to see if its set on full pass mode (i dont know that amp at all and its settings). Then I would check if you maybe have the wires from the XOver to your speakers backwords (tweet to mid etc...). If all is ok... then try to feed the signal straight from your HU to the front stage amp. Lots of option for you to explore. Check your wiring and i think you will find that some wire is in the wrong place.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:42 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Originally posted by crazyravr
Its nothing to do with your amp being too small. I would first check the setting on the 500/1 amp feeding your signal. Check to see if its set on full pass mode (i dont know that amp at all and its settings). Then I would check if you maybe have the wires from the XOver to your speakers backwords (tweet to mid etc...). If all is ok... then try to feed the signal straight from your HU to the front stage amp. Lots of option for you to explore. Check your wiring and i think you will find that some wire is in the wrong place.

Well, I tried the wiring to the x-over by trying to play it with just the tweets hooked up first (speaker wire to x-over, x-overs to amp), and that seemed to tell me which wire was for what (process of elimination). So I'm 'pretty' sure it's not that.

It may have something to do with the x-over on the Clarion amp, or the JL, but my non-familiarity with exactly how to tune these things may be hurting me.

I might do that next - run RCAs from the deck to the amp - only problem - I'd only get one side working, as the amp has only one set of RCA ports, and the HU (Alpine 7894) has both a Left and Right pre-out (solutions??).

Still gotta tinker, but find the time first.
Thanks for the reply.
Mike
Old 05-27-2003, 05:57 AM

No such thing as left and right pre-outs. I am sure that HU has:
- sub out
- front
- rear outputs.

Feeding front stage amp from a D-amp is not a good idea. Your Hu has 3-sets of pre outs... use them . I bet its the way the 500/1 amp is set up thats causing your problem.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:38 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Doh, you're probably right re: front/rear. Duh. Totally didn't even think about that.
I'll give that a shot tonight - I've pulled my dash apart so many times in the past few months I'm sure that will take me all of 3 minutes. to do. Running the cable might take a few more however, if in fact that is the "problem".
Thanks for the input.
Mike

Originally posted by crazyravr
No such thing as left and right pre-outs. I am sure that HU has:
- sub out
- front
- rear outputs.

Feeding front stage amp from a D-amp is not a good idea. Your Hu has 3-sets of pre outs... use them . I bet its the way the 500/1 amp is set up thats causing your problem.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:56 AM

Too bad you dont live closer to Mississauga. Tonight I am meeting up with Rich to help him with his speakers problem. Could have helped you out as well. Hope everything works out.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Blaxxxima
Doh, you're probably right re: front/rear. Duh. Totally didn't even think about that.
I'll give that a shot tonight - I've pulled my dash apart so many times in the past few months I'm sure that will take me all of 3 minutes. to do. Running the cable might take a few more however, if in fact that is the "problem".
Thanks for the input.
Mike

crazyravr is probably right. Try running the RCAs from the front outputs to the Clarion amp first, then to the JL from there (assuming the Clarion has a pass-through). If not, then run another set of RCAs.

Also, something to look for, check if your cross-overs have a level switch. Mine had a switch to set the tweeters to high-mid-low volume compared to the woofers. And of course as a last resort, you could bi-amp the fronts.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:00 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Thanks guys.
Actually, the DA's have a tweeter adjustment, which I've set to -2db, so as to not be harsh.
The passthrough from amp to amp would have to be from JL to Clarion, as the JL has this capability, the Clarion does not. I've got the Sub RCAs running to the JL, which likely explains why I'm getting muted signals. I'll run some different RCAs to the Clarion, see what happens. Guess I'll have multiple RCAs then

Mike

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
crazyravr is probably right. Try running the RCAs from the front outputs to the Clarion amp first, then to the JL from there (assuming the Clarion has a pass-through). If not, then run another set of RCAs.

Also, something to look for, check if your cross-overs have a level switch. Mine had a switch to set the tweeters to high-mid-low volume compared to the woofers. And of course as a last resort, you could bi-amp the fronts.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:41 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Aside from running the proper RCAs....Did you check how you mounted the tweeters? There are the 2 speaker leads coming right off of the tweeters, make sure neither of them are touching the metal base that you stuck them on.

--Don
Old 05-28-2003, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by Blaxxxima
Thanks guys.
Actually, the DA's have a tweeter adjustment, which I've set to -2db, so as to not be harsh.
The passthrough from amp to amp would have to be from JL to Clarion, as the JL has this capability, the Clarion does not. I've got the Sub RCAs running to the JL, which likely explains why I'm getting muted signals. I'll run some different RCAs to the Clarion, see what happens. Guess I'll have multiple RCAs then

Mike

Actually, before you spend the money on another set of RCAs and pull the trim apart to run it: make sure the Pre-Amp Outputs on the JL500.1 is set to full-range. If you're RCAs are not coming from the subwoofer output on your headunit, then you are getting a full signal to the sub amp and as long as the amp is set to full-range passthrough, then you should be okay. Page 8 of your manual shows where/how to set the passthrough: JL500.1 manual. Now, if your RCAs are running off the subwoofer output of your head unit, then you will need to move them to the front or rear RCA output to get a full range.

In the end, the best setup would be to run the second pair of RCAs. With your current setup, you won't have control over the subwoofer level. But with separate RCAs for both, then you can control sub level from the HU.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:17 PM
!OG SNES OG!

So I decided to play around with my JL and Clarion settings - to no avail.
THen I pop out the dash, and find that the dudes that installed my HU (well, fixed it after the F'd up the first time by not realizing that the fronts were amped already, thus causing much road noise) have put two ground level converters or somethings in there, off the front and rear pre-outs.

So I take those out, decide to run the RCAs to the Clarion from the front pre-outs.
Well, now I've got sound, but my bass is really low on the fronts (like almost non-existant), and the mids seem like they're crackling on me when I turn the volume up loud - almost like they get staticky (not from too much gain either, almost like they're blown... but they're still putting out decent clean sound up to a point).

Anyways, I wish I knew more about fuggin' tuning, because this is driving me nuts. I decided to just walk away for a while - too damn frustrating.

Why the fukk do I do this sh*t to my car???

GRRRR...
Old 05-28-2003, 07:45 PM

hehehehhe......... come by GTA and few ppl at a meet will help you out.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:56 AM

Maybe we can find someone near Pembroke to help him out?
Old 05-29-2003, 10:06 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Heheh, thanks guys. No worries. I'll figure it out. I just haven't had the time to really get on it.
I know I need a 2nd set of RCAs (I had one, but the shop that installed my sh*t cut them up to run the ground loop isolators), and I need to redo my drivers side install (tighten it up). I need to deaden the doors eventually too, so some RaamMat is on order very soon.
It's a question of getting the time to do it, although I would like to know more about how to tune using things like Freq and so on. Just need to spend some time reading, I'm sure.
Thanks
Mike