Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Suspended Sub from Rear Deck

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 10:26 AM

Suspended Sub from Rear Deck

Has anyone had any experience suspending a subwoofer box from the rear deck? I have a 2000 Maxima w/o Bose. I was thinking about suspending the sub from the rear deck, porting through the rear deck, and covering the port with a bose grille. For those of you who might ask why...I like a factory like look with a non-factory sound. I will also get a lot of use out of folding the seats down for carrying things longer than my trunk. My current setup is just a large box, and I'm tired of it taking up the whole trunk. If anyone has tried this let me know. Pictures would be great. I just want to make sure that the structural support on the rear deck is sufficient enough to take the load, and I don't want to break my rear window with direct contact-vibration. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:38 AM

Re: Suspended Sub from Rear Deck

Originally posted by TallB'00SE
Has anyone had any experience suspending a subwoofer box from the rear deck? I have a 2000 Maxima w/o Bose. I was thinking about suspending the sub from the rear deck, porting through the rear deck, and covering the port with a bose grille. For those of you who might ask why...I like a factory like look with a non-factory sound. I will also get a lot of use out of folding the seats down for carrying things longer than my trunk. My current setup is just a large box, and I'm tired of it taking up the whole trunk. If anyone has tried this let me know. Pictures would be great. I just want to make sure that the structural support on the rear deck is sufficient enough to take the load, and I don't want to break my rear window with direct contact-vibration. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I know TimW did it, cuz he sold the box recently. Ask him about it.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shortly after I purchased my Maxima with a Premium Sound System (non-Bose), I had Circuit City build a .3 cu ft custom enclosure that houses a Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC RFP2408 8" subwoofer. They carpeted the enclosure so it looks OEM. Then they cut a hole in the rear deck cover, dynamatted the cover, removed the child restraint supports, and recarpeted the deck. Finally, they mounted the enclosure to the underside of the deck.

I'd take pictures of the enclosure but there's really not much to look at. And that, of course, is a good thing.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:07 AM

How did they mount it? Sheet metal screws, bolts, etc.? Was the bottom flush all the way across? Which way did the sub face, or was the sub firing up from the rear deck? Was the box ported? How did/does it sound? Any additional information is greatly appreciated, because I am really looking to clean up my trunk and make my whole system look close to factory. Thanks.