Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Bypass Clarion amp in 93 Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bypass Clarion amp in 93 Maxima?

Sorry if this has already been covered here, but the search feature seem to be broken right now....

I have a '93 Maxima with a NON-Bose system, and replaced the factory HU with a Kenwood about a year ago. All went well, but currently the rear speakers are still being driven by the Clarion amp in the trunk (which might explain the slight hiss I'm getting). I would love to bypass this amp and hook the rears directly to the HU, but want to do it in a way to allow reconnection when I sell the car. The best information I could find on this is here:

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/faq...amp_bypass.txt

However, this is very vague and leaves me asking more questions than it answers. First of all, I assume the remaining wires must stay connected to the amp for things like Antenna power, etc? Also, will leaving the "P-Control" (blue/white) lead from the HU hooked up affect anything adversly once i bypass the amp? I think it's used to control the volume of the rear amp...so do I need to unhook it from the HU afterwards? Or is leaving it connected ok?

One last thing...my power antenna is dying and no longer wants to retract. Instead it just grunts and groans every time i start the car. Is it possible to unhook the motor without effecting reception?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Mitch
Old 05-31-2003, 01:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Bypass Clarion amp in 93 Maxima?

Okay sounds like you have an idea of what to do. Bascially take out your kenwood HU, and if you would like to disconnect your power antenna/rear amp just cut the blue/blue-white wires from your kenwood HU. Your antenna will no longer go up or down, and your clarion amp will not turn on. So bascially Examine the wiring that your headunit has. Follow the Purple/ Purple w/black strip wires AND the Green/ green w/black strip wires untill they meet the wiring in the car. Note the wire colors they attatch to. Thoes wires that your green/purple wires attach to can be found at the clarion amps. Simply cut thoes wires and extend them to their appropriate speakers.