Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Why I went with Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why I went with Sirius

Why I went with Sirius and could not be happier. Best money i ever spent. Don't know how I have went so long without sattelite radio.

Sirius is 100% commercial free on ALL 60 music channels.

XM has commercials on most (approx. 70 of 100) of their channels.
XM’s commercials are “limited” today, but make no promises for the future. Avg. 2-5 min/hr in 2002, how long in 2004? XM started out with 35 commercial free stations and is now down to 29 in 2003. How many more will drop in the future? Also, why do they not tell you which stations are commercial free, do they change them?

Isn’t that part of why you pay for satellite, to avoid commercials?

2) Sirius uses S-plex, which borrows bandwidth from talk channels to maintain 20-20K on the Music channels.

XM Compresses the music similar to an MP3 file.

This gives Sirius the ability to sound very similar to a CD. Listen for yourself on comparable brand name products on non FM-Mod, you WILL hear the difference

3)Sirius uses 3 satellites that move in a figure 8 above the United States from angles of 68-90 degrees to the antenna, and approx.110 repeaters across the country. 2 satellites are always above the US as one may be recharging over Mexico. This gives Sirius a 30 year life span on the satellites which was projected at 15 years when they launched

XM uses 2 satellites that are stationary above the East and West Coast at 28-34 degree angles in the midwest and approx. 1100 repeaters. They are alway on and thier life span was projected at 15 years- now they are hoping for 6 more years of use.

Wouldn’t you rather get your sound directly from the satellite and not a repeater? Repeaters affect sound Quality!
Rural mountain areas, and Semi trucks will cause XM to drop out outside of the repeaters range. XM will have to use their 3rd satellite in a few years, along with a 4th.

4)Sirius does not run program loops or rebroadcasts of other radio stations.

XM does just this

Isn’t that what you are trying to avoid? Commercials and repeat songs.

5)Sirius Music programmers (DJ’s) will only talk about the music or artist,

XM programmers will talk about what happened to them at the bar last night, or what happened on the way to work. Do you like radio banter? XM does.

6)Sirius has better technology for the future of satellite entertainment. Sirius has broadcast already video streams to display they future capabilities. That means in car TV and movie broadcasts!

XM can not do this with current satellites and programming- you will only be able to get music with XM

7) Sirius has discounts for longer contracts so when you purchase over an entire year, it is actually cheaper than XM service

XM- you get less and pay more the longer you have it.

8) Sirius has ventures with equipment manufactures and has been giving away hardware to customers along with a 30 day free trial

XM- you pay, you pay, you pay- Buy the hardware, pay for a month and if you do not like it you pay a cancellation fee
Old 06-14-2003, 11:02 PM

and you must work for sirius
Old 06-14-2003, 11:23 PM

sure sound like it, hey if u work for sirrius when are they comin out with a new antenna? i h8 this giant mouse on my trunklid
Old 06-15-2003, 01:27 AM

you got pix of your antenna on the trunk? mines also on the trunk and I want something....smaller
Old 06-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry I do not work for them. So I do not know the answer to your question. I would not mind working for them however. I think they and XM have bright futures. It's fantastic technology IMO. If any of you trade stocks I think both these companies are good plays.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by max1ma97se
sure sound like it, hey if u work for sirrius when are they comin out with a new antenna? i h8 this giant mouse on my trunklid
A guy who works at a store called Audio Express in Richmond told me a couple of days ago that Sirius just came out with a new antenna that's smaller. But other than him I haven't heard anything about it.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:02 PM

I work at circuit city in richmond. And am good friends with the national sales manager for XM. A company called TERK makes aftermarket antennas for sirius and XM, and are coming out with smaller antennas. Personally I like XM better.

XM has had their protable unit by DELPHI out for about 6 months now. Which is very convenient, so you can take it in your home, car, work where ever. It looks sharp can display more information, and is very small. Sirius just put out their protable unit last week. They had 6 months to design something. At least they could have made it attractive and smaller. The thing is huge.
XM --->
Sirius--->

The service. I will agree that Sirius might have better reception on paper, but if you listen to the 2, they sound identical. And it depends on what your into. XM features more music, less talk shows. Sirius is just the opposite. And as far as commercials. Sirius will have commercials on the talk shows but not on the music. Which is good. However, XM has almost 40 stations that are commericial free...out of the 70 music stations. The rest have 2 minutes or less of commericals every hour. You probably won't even hear the commercials on you drive to work.

Don't forget the cost factor to. Sirius is 12.95 a month and XM is only 9.99 a month. XM has the discount plan to. You can pay monthly, every three months, yearly, whatever. And they offer a discount the longer you sign up for. There is even a family plan for XM. If you decided to get another unit. It is only 6.99 a month for the second one.

I'm not forcing either way, I just think XM is the way to go in my opinion.

Peace - Chad
Old 06-18-2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by Indecisive311
I work at circuit city in richmond. And am good friends with the national sales manager for XM. A company called TERK makes aftermarket antennas for sirius and XM, and are coming out with smaller antennas. Personally I like XM better.

XM has had their protable unit by DELPHI out for about 6 months now. Which is very convenient, so you can take it in your home, car, work where ever. It looks sharp can display more information, and is very small. Sirius just put out their protable unit last week. They had 6 months to design something. At least they could have made it attractive and smaller. The thing is huge.
XM --->
Sirius--->

The service. I will agree that Sirius might have better reception on paper, but if you listen to the 2, they sound identical. And it depends on what your into. XM features more music, less talk shows. Sirius is just the opposite. And as far as commercials. Sirius will have commercials on the talk shows but not on the music. Which is good. However, XM has almost 40 stations that are commericial free...out of the 70 music stations. The rest have 2 minutes or less of commericals every hour. You probably won't even hear the commercials on you drive to work.

Don't forget the cost factor to. Sirius is 12.95 a month and XM is only 9.99 a month. XM has the discount plan to. You can pay monthly, every three months, yearly, whatever. And they offer a discount the longer you sign up for. There is even a family plan for XM. If you decided to get another unit. It is only 6.99 a month for the second one.

Peace - Chad
main reason I went with XM is because my HU was already xm ready. both services has their ups and downs but either one you pick shure beats the hell out of regular radio thats for shure
Old 06-18-2003, 06:21 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I have listened to both. I always preferred Sirius' prgramming over XM. But, I could never justify the cost of the equipment for either.

After getting Sirius equipment for free, I couldnt be happier.

What is really important is that satellite radio is great, no matter which provider you use. The difference between satellite and FM is like the difference bewtween digital cable TV and just trying to pick up local stations with the antenna. No. comparison.

Why pay for radio when I can listen to it for free? Well, why do you pay for cable TV when you can pick up 3 or 4 channels for free? Because the vast majority of radio (and TV) SUCKS!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Indecisive311

You forgot to mention here that Sirius has 2 portable options. The first one that you mentioned is from Kenwood. The second one is from Audiovox. Here it is:

Both offer the same convenience of being able to take it where ever.
Let's not forget that Sirius was launched their service about a year after XM.

I agree that you can't tell the difference in sound quality but the rest of your response here is nothing more than your opinion and not facts.
Yes, XM has 70 music channels, which is 10 more than Sirius but does that translate into more music? Not necessarily. Of those 70 music channels, only 34 are commercial free.
[OPINION] I'll bet that the music channels that have commercials are the most popular channels. [/OPINION]
As for the 2 minutes or less of commecials, it is actually double that. XM has a 4 minute cap on commercials.

Have you even been to the SIRIUS.com website?
Sirius offers the same types of discount plans.

Here is the link:
http://www.siriusradio.com/servlet/C...=1019257316818

Sirius will also be offering a Lifetime Membership for $399.00 for the life of the radio. This will be available August 1st.

Peace - Chad
It is all the matter of opinion between both services. Both are definately better than radio.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:47 PM

I went with XM because the Delphi unit is the easiest to install. I'm happy with it but find myself doing a lot of channel flipping. But it's still better than listening to all those sickening local commercials which are on all the local radio channels. XM commercials aren't to irritating.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:37 AM

hrmm.. i've had the sirius for a while, and i think it is not the greatest invention. the repeaters never really seem to kick in where i'm at, and i know both atennas are hooked up correctly. when i go under a bridge the music cuts out (even if i'm passing under it going fairly fast). and i heard on the satelite radio forums that xm's sound quality is better. imo neither comes close to CD sound quality.. and i did notice that they did flood sirius with alot of bass.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:18 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by mingo
hrmm.. i've had the sirius for a while, and i think it is not the greatest invention. the repeaters never really seem to kick in where i'm at, and i know both atennas are hooked up correctly. when i go under a bridge the music cuts out (even if i'm passing under it going fairly fast). and i heard on the satelite radio forums that xm's sound quality is better. imo neither comes close to CD sound quality.. and i did notice that they did flood sirius with alot of bass.
Are you using an FM modulator? If so, dont expect much in the way of sound quality from either one.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:04 PM

I did like the cassette adapter better than the fm modulater on my Delphi but I could hear the cassette turning and just wanted a cleaner looking installation. I have a Bose and don't have too many options.