Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

complicated stereo q? who is up to the task

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:39 AM

complicated stereo q? who is up to the task

Ok here goes nothing cuz I am kinda stumped:

So for awhile the sound on my stereo (bose cd/tape system)has been going in and out, which sounds like a wire harness problem to me. S I pull the dash apart and play with the wire harness, and find when I push the harness in harder it goes on and when I let off the sound goes off. So I buy a new wire harness, splice in the wires, but... same problem. Here is the weird thing: when I play with the harness, and sometimes when I am driving or the car is off I hear this clicking coming from the right front passenger door/kick plate (like where the passenger would rest their right foot). It sounds like something is switching off and on, an amp maybe? So that is where I am at now. Any ideas? I am thinking it may be a problem with the deck itself, or at least the connection on the back. Any ideas would be very helpful!
thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have never used these guys, bu their website looks like they know what they are doing and are willing to give some information on problems away for free, so I would check them out.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/
Old 07-15-2003, 02:31 PM
jmax

Last time this problem was mentioned someone said the bose amp or the relay for the bose amp is in that area. Probably have a bad wire going to that or the relay or amp is bad.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This will take some troubleshooting and your dash apart for a while, but here goes!
You did not specify if you have the BLOWSE system or not, I will assume that you do, since the same principle will apply. I am not familiar with the 5th Gen wire color, but I am sure you can figure it out.

1. Keep everything hooked up, take a VM and go to the amp with the system off ensure that you are getting a 12V source going to the amp this is called your constant (usually a yellow wire).

12V not available? Stop here that your problem!!
12V available? Next Step

2. Turn on the stereo and check with a volt meter that you are now getting 12V on both the CONSTANT and AMP TURN ON wire. I know the problem is intermitting, try making the problem happen again and keep looking at the AMP TURN ON wire this time. If you see the voltage being dropped to under 10V then this is most likely your problem.

3. Check the voltage coming from your alternator at different RPM's and ensure it is not exceeding 15V. Let me know and I can help you even more if you are having the samp problem.