Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help with Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Boosted?....

Help with Sirius

Hey Guys,

I just got my car back from the shop and it looks great. They totally redesigned the trunk. My problem is that they installed a fm modulated sirius HU. I subscribed and after an hour and half with sirius techs, I cannot get a service signal. I noticed that the shop used a XM Antenna. Does this make a difference in reception? PLease help. I will go take pictures of my trunk now.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:28 AM

did you park your car outside in the open for the sattelites to send signal? also you need to leave the system on the whole time.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:42 AM
Boosted?....

Originally posted by Nismo
did you park your car outside in the open for the sattelites to send signal? also you need to leave the system on the whole time.
Yes, I parked the car in an open area and the system was on the whole time. I think I will try to have them send the signal again while I am driving to work. Hopefully it works, cuz I paid already...
Old 07-22-2003, 06:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by EteRnity059

Yes, I parked the car in an open area and the system was on the whole time. I think I will try to have them send the signal again while I am driving to work. Hopefully it works, cuz I paid already...
Why would they install an XM antenna for a Sirius HU?

If I was one of these companies, I would find a way for my components not to work with my competitors components. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:11 PM

I was at Car Toys today and asked if you could mix those parts from XM and Sirius and make it work(I was trying to get a glass mount antenna for my Sirius equip). I was told NO, they are not compatable with each other.

Mike
Old 07-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Boosted?....

Originally posted by kwd2kSE
I was at Car Toys today and asked if you could mix those parts from XM and Sirius and make it work(I was trying to get a glass mount antenna for my Sirius equip). I was told NO, they are not compatable with each other.

Mike
I called panasonic today and they said that it was ok to have a Panasonic Sirius headunit and a XM antennae. It does the same thing. I don't know. It is still not working...
Old 07-22-2003, 10:30 PM

I was also told no dice this evening by the tech at Crutchfield.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:06 AM

can it be possible they mixed up the sattelite antenna plug with the ground terestrial plug? I have XM and there are 2 plugs for the antenna so make shure the plugs are not reversed.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

You arent receiving stream 184 or anything?

OR

You arent receiving the activation signal?

XM and sirius antennas are tuned for slightly different bandwidths, but should be interchangeable.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:32 PM
Boosted?....

Originally posted by mzmtg
You arent receiving stream 184 or anything?

OR

You arent receiving the activation signal?

XM and sirius antennas are tuned for slightly different bandwidths, but should be interchangeable.
I am not even receiving stream 184. I took it to another shop and had them redue the antennae setup and even tried another antennae. I think it might be the HU.... When I turn the car on and tried to change channels, it display "Initializing" then it goes to call sirius to subscribe. I already subscribed. Maybe I should have gone with XM...
Old 07-23-2003, 08:50 PM

Call Sirus!

The problem is that they have taken out your authorization. It may just be a case where whoever does the authorization keys left yours out of the main list. Sometimes this can happen. I have seen it happen to customers before.

Companies that do satelite encyption sometimes switch their signals back and forth so that hackers can't get into their system. Your radio may be left out of the group and that is why you aren't getting your signal anymore.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Boosted?....

Problem Fixed Stupid Panasonic

Ok so after a long day of taking my car to another shop and rewiring my antenna, I still couldn't get it to work. This was after $60.00 worth of labor. Then I go to work and decide to go to circuit city and see what they have to say about my situation. I went to the installation dept and told the guy my problem. My car is maybe 100 ft from him and he says, " I know what you problem is!" I am like wtf....you haven't even looked at my car. So truth be told I cannot run an XM antenna with a Sirius unit. They capture satelite signal in a different pattern or line... My luck is that they didn't have anymore Sirius antennas left. I drive to BEST BUY and get a sirius antenna and problem fixed. I was too lazy to run the antenna to the back of my car so it is sitting on the dash, right above the center AC vents. Works fine... I am so freaking happy now. sorry for the long post...
Old 07-24-2003, 01:30 AM

I should have read closely. Didn't even notice that you were trying to run Sirus with and XM antennae. That doesn't work and I could've saved you the money in labor if only I had read it correctly. Sorry!
Old 07-24-2003, 07:22 AM

Proof that you need to stay away from circuit ****y.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:53 AM
Boosted?....

Originally posted by MaximumMike
I should have read closely. Didn't even notice that you were trying to run Sirus with and XM antennae. That doesn't work and I could've saved you the money in labor if only I had read it correctly. Sorry!
Hey it's all good.... I skim most of the threads too . Lesson learned is how I feel but I'm just happy that it finally works.
Thanks to everybody who has responde and tried to help me.
O by the way, circuit city help me figure this out and the only thing that was Shi**y was that they did not have a antenna in stock. That is why I went to best buy to buy the antenna...MY SIRIUS IS WONDERFUL (now that it works)